UOA Pennzoil Plat. 5/40 Euro results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TurboJW
Hi all, First post but have spent a lot of time lurking in the background. Just wanted to share the results of my Blackstone UOA on my wife's 2015 BMW 328i X-drive using Pennzoil Platinum 5/40 Euro. I changed the oil when we first bought it and have driven 6200 miles in the past year. She drives nice and easy but I beat it like a rental. I used PP 5/40 Euro again for this oil change and will most likely stretch the OCI out to 7500-8000 miles. Advance Auto had a great price on this oil, 5qts for $25. Thanks for looking.

That is fairly big drop in kinematic viscosity for 6,200 miles. BMW OCI FYI is 10k.
How much car is driven in the city compared to hwy?
I would go with Castrol 0W40 and try that. We do not see many UOA of N20 engines, but considering that BMW recommends 0W20 oil now for that, it proves my point that everything revolves around leas time and CAFE.

KCJeep said:
High calcium and low ZDDP (for a 40 grade) maybe not the best long term choice for a DI engine.[/quote

There are very few 5/40 LL-01 oils available. Do you know of one that has lower calcium, higher magnesium and the same or better dose of molybdenum? Thanks.

Castrol Edge EU 0-40 has less calcium (2000ppm in UOA's ive seen) and more magnesium (a LSPI neutral detergent). Not sure of moly off the top of my head...

I have READ that this Pennzoil has a Cst of 13.2 and a HTHS rating of 3.88. Other numbers I've seen put it at 12.8/3.62. NOACK at 6.2%. The CCS rating is slightly better for the Edge EU (0w vs 5w so obviosuly Edge will be better). Those numbers would infer that the pennzoil oil is slightly better wear protection than the Castrol oil. However, those numbers come from thin air... it's pure conjecture based off "helix ultra" data sheets. Pennzoil states their HTHS and NOACK for this new EURO formula is "proprietary." It appears to be in line with the performance of Castrol Edge. I think the quoted viscosity numbers above are a bit high though based on this UOA... It's probably closer to the 12.8/3.62 numbers...

Castrol has two conflicting data sheets (one called "professional"). I am thinking the Edge EU is 13.5cSt /3.7cP HTHS.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/44B77EF28BE4D0E380258124005DA349/$File/BPXE-AMK6ZQ.pdf
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/4ABA633F17A143FD80257AA90053665B/$File/EDGE%20Professional%20European%20PDS_July_2012.pdf

Basically, a comparable oil would be Castrol Edge EU 0-40. It's dirt cheap and readily available everywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by banks334
KCJeep said:
High calcium and low ZDDP (for a 40 grade) maybe not the best long term choice for a DI engine.[/quote

There are very few 5/40 LL-01 oils available. Do you know of one that has lower calcium, higher magnesium and the same or better dose of molybdenum? Thanks.

Castrol Edge EU 0-40 has less calcium (2000ppm in UOA's ive seen) and more magnesium (a LSPI neutral detergent). Not sure of moly off the top of my head...

I have READ that this Pennzoil has a Cst of 13.2 and a HTHS rating of 3.88. Other numbers I've seen put it at 12.8/3.62. NOACK at 6.2%. The CCS rating is slightly better for the Edge EU (0w vs 5w so obviosuly Edge will be better). Those numbers would infer that the pennzoil oil is slightly better wear protection than the Castrol oil. However, those numbers come from thin air... it's pure conjecture based off "helix ultra" data sheets. Pennzoil states their HTHS and NOACK for this new EURO formula is "proprietary." It appears to be in line with the performance of Castrol Edge. I think the quoted viscosity numbers above are a bit high though based on this UOA... It's probably closer to the 12.8/3.62 numbers...

Castrol has two conflicting data sheets (one called "professional"). I am thinking the Edge EU is 13.5cSt /3.7cP HTHS.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/44B77EF28BE4D0E380258124005DA349/$File/BPXE-AMK6ZQ.pdf
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/4ABA633F17A143FD80257AA90053665B/$File/EDGE%20Professional%20European%20PDS_July_2012.pdf

Basically, a comparable oil would be Castrol Edge EU 0-40. It's dirt cheap and readily available everywhere.

HTHS 3.88 and NOACK of 6.2% was in Pennzoil Ultra with GTL base. Once Platinum was introduced numbers were "watered down."
Castrol updated all pds and 0W40 is at 13.1, HTHS 3.7, NOACK 9.1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back