Michelin LTX M/S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were great on mine I bought the Tundra used with tires already on it put another 50,000+ miles on them, and were still fine until I cut a U-turn too close and damaged one of the sidewalls on a curb. Replaced with a set of Sam's Club X LT radials that are the store version of the same tire.

I don't go off road much, except into the sand on the TX Gulf coast beaches. Looking at their tread, I think they will handle the sand really good.

I bought 4 used ones for the rear of a dually about 6 years ago. Turns out they were like 10 or 12 years old at the time. They have some drywall cracking but run nice and smooth. Did replace one inner one this year with some other brand but would buy this one again.

We have them on my Son's 1998 S10 ZR2. They have been on the truck since 2010. They just keep going and not wearing. Quite possible the longest lasting trouble free tire we have ever owned. Highly recommended.

Use them on all of my delivery vans and also my personal trucks not requiring an off road tire. I will not buy anything else for road tires on a truck.

I've driven them at 120MPH, I've pulled out 6 ton boats up algae slicked ramps in 2WD, I've taken 25mph curves at 50mph, driven in rain storms at 80mph, and they wear like iron and ride as good as anything I have used. Never been in snow with them. They're OK in sand, but not what they were designed for.

I use them. My truck came with Michelins new and I'm on my third set now. I use my truck primarily for highway travel pulling some type of RV and a daily driver. I'm usually pretty good on maintenance issues but I'd rate myself a D- on suspension although I'm trying to improve. I changed ball joints at about 160K and just replaced my original shocks at 184K. I don't remember ever having my truck aligned. So it shouldn't be any surprise I've got unusual wear patterns on my tires now or that it takes a ton of lead to balance them. I don't know if it is the amount lead necessary to balance them or poor installation of the lead but I can't get more than a 1,000 miles down the road before one or more wheel weights take flight. I'm annoyed more than a little bit right now about my rig always being out of balance but I only blame it on myself.

My next set of tires will be...Michelin LTX MS2. But I'll get the three year alignment this time and get them rotated and balanced, along with alignment, every six months. Great tires that have never let me down in spite of my abuse.

If I ever bought a truck, I'll always spec the Michelin LTX M/S(Defender LTX) for it. If Michelin has done one thing right in the last 10-15 years, improving this tire was one of them.

A friend has the Costco version(X LT A/S) and he says they're the best tire he's ever had .Another had the older version of it and drove a Santa Fe all the way to the junkyard with them(the engine was burning oil and killed the cats, it was past Hyundai's secret recall for oil consumption).

I bought a set, since they seemed to get rave reviews here. Had to have two immediately replaced due to high road force values--but that was no big deal. [The tire shop saying it could have been from alignment, that was.] 3 years, 42,827 miles and they cracked. Bought for $978 and got a return of $176.24 as they had 5/32's left.

Maybe they would have gone to 70k but I have my doubts. I no longer drive to 2/32's and so I don't buy on warranty anymore. Plus I was not impressed with them in snow--for all their rave reviews they seemed just, well, normal (and utterly insufficient on my truck in snow). I only put about 5k/year on the truck now (on all seasons) so they are totally not worth it to me. IMO I'd have to do 30k/year for them to be worth trying again.

I did recently run my Hancook Dynaopro ATM's on a bit of ice, and it's possible that the LTX's would have done better--it's been three years since I last drove on them--but it's possible that the LTX's were better on hard packed snow / ice than these ATM's.

I had the LTX MS 2 on my Expedition in Florida. At 40k miles they developed sidewall cracking and Michelin would not warranty them since they said it was normal and was not a safety issue and there was still tread life remaining. I was instructed to go back when they were down to 2/32. A couple days later I blew the front tire sidewall on the interstate, took the truck and tire back to Sears where I got them and they gave me 50% towards a new set of LTX MS2's. That set held up well on the rears, but the fronts had the tread blocks breaking off in chunks, exposing the steel belts in some areas. Not sure of the miles on those since I cant find the supporting paperwork, but I think it was about 45k miles. Sears gave me a pretty generous tread credit through Michelin towards a set of 4 Defender LTX MS tires. These have held up well so far.
Other than these compound issues, I love the tires, they are quiet, handle well, and have used them in the snow as well as rain and they handle great in all conditions. I think the Florida heat ages them prematurely. Still using Michelin's and was looking at alternatives for my Suburban, but opted for the Michelin Defender LTX MS as well, crossing fingers on a better long term sidewall and tread life out of these Defender's, but as long as Michelin keeps standing behind the tires with reasonable credits towards new tires, I think 500.00 for 45k miles of good performance is a good deal.

2018-01-21 18.20.19.jpg

2018-01-21 18.19.58.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back