Collinite #476S or Finish Kare BWM 101 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son lives a distance away from home (out of state university) so at best I only have access to do maintenance on his Mazda CX3 about twice a year (I.e. oil changes & detail ) .
Since the vehicle sits outside all day in the South I'm looking at either Collinite #476S or Finish Kare BWM 101 . Which one would you use and why to have protection which will last approximately 6 months ?
Thanks in advance ...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Ive never found collinite to last...

Your experience differs from about 90% of the posters on the Internet. My experience is that 476S is about the king in longevity.

Originally Posted by TTK

Your experience differs from about 90% of the posters on the Internet. My experience is that 476S is about the king in longevity.

I know lots of people claim it. I ran it on my wife's VW when it was new. I ran Zaino on my Saab at the same time. Guess which one beaded longer????

Sure, some can handwave that beading isnt everything, but if not, what other objective standard do we have to justify Collinite's longevity?

I've only used 476s, never seen Finish Kare for sale where I'm at. I can say that through the winter, if I wash my work trucks and it rains, the water drops continue to form beads on the hoods. So the 476s must be still clinging to the surface. I've never had that happen when I used other manufacturers waxes.

Collinite 476 was hugely durable for me—-to a fault, really. I notice that those of us living in cooler climates like it best.

The Sunbelters seem to like the two part Duragloss all-in-one product for durability. It's cheap enough and easy enough to apply. I'll get back to you in April about durability. Don't know about the one you mentioned.

I'm wondering why those two products? There are a number of good ones out there.

I would consider Jescar PowerLock. It's a excellent and well proven sealant. Easy to apply. It should easily give you six months. The sheeting action is excellent.

Based on my experience with Collinite products, I vote for 476s or 845.

I would also echo PimTac's approval for PowerLock. I know it previously as Menzerna PowerLock, but either way, it's a great product.

My favorite is Sonus ION. PowerLock is my second choice sealant. A few hours after applying the sealant then removing it, I layer Collinite 845 over it. It's extremely durable.

With all due respect to you and your son, are you teaching him to fish or giving him a fish? As in, is he with you when you perform the maintenance and detailing so he can actually learn those skills? Maybe he would become a second generation BITOGer!!

Originally Posted by dkryan
Based on my experience with Collinite products, I vote for 476s or 845.

I would also echo PimTac's approval for PowerLock. I know it previously as Menzerna PowerLock, but either way, it's a great product.

My favorite is Sonus ION. PowerLock is my second choice sealant. A few hours after applying the sealant then removing it, I layer Collinite 845 over it. It's extremely durable.

With all due respect to you and your son, are you teaching him to fish or giving him a fish? As in, is he with you when you perform the maintenance and detailing so he can actually learn those skills? Maybe he would become a second generation BITOGer!!

Sonus doesn't get much mention anywhere but they are a top notch brand. I've used a couple of their products with good results. I haven't tried the Ion though.

Gyeon Can Coat is another good one.

Collinite 845 would be another as well as the brands that were suggested which I will research (currently using Meg's Ultimate wax) . *My son simply doesn't have the genes or the interest in it . Oh , believe me I have tried : When he was younger I would take away his cereal box at the dinner table for reading while he ate breakfast and replace with M1 and PP oil bottles for reading ... no pulse was detected . I tried the same with bottles of turtle wax and Meg's - ditto , no pulse detected - it actually put him to sleep . I feel I'm doing good if I can simply get him to check a dip stick ! ... Kids these days .

Why not get him a bottle of Optimum Spray wax and call it a day?

You spritz it on maybe every third time you wash. It will last a couple of months anyway and takes all of 15 minutes to apply.

Originally Posted by TTK

I know lots of people claim it. I ran it on my wife's VW when it was new. I ran Zaino on my Saab at the same time. Guess which one beaded longer????

Sure, some can handwave that beading isnt everything, but if not, what other objective standard do we have to justify Collinite's longevity?

Zaino is the only product I've used that lasted a year. I've never let Collinite go that long between applications, so I don't really know how long it will last. I apply it about every 6 months and I do know it lasts that long...I would say it's durability is at least close to that of Zaino, if not equal to...

Good to hear about the durability of Zaino. I recently bought some detailing supplies from someone off here. That wanted to try some new products. He also included a half bottle of Zaino AIO. It's a 16 ounce bottle so that should last awhile. Also included half full bottles of Duragloss #601(Polish Bonding Agent), 111 and 105. I was all out of sealants so this should last me a while for two cars.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Good to hear about the durability of Zaino. I recently bought some detailing supplies from someone off here. That wanted to try some new products. He also included a half bottle of Zaino AIO. It's a 16 ounce bottle so that should last awhile. Also included half full bottles of Duragloss #601(Polish Bonding Agent), 111 and 105. I was all out of sealants so this should last me a while for two cars.

That's a good list of products. As an FYI, you can mix the DG PBA (601) with the sealants (111 & 105). I believe the ratio is 4:1 (sealant:pBA). I've been doing this for a few years with DG501/PBA, and it works great (skips a step).

Originally Posted by kkreit01
That's a good list of products. As an FYI, you can mix the DG PBA (601) with the sealants (111 & 105). I believe the ratio is 4:1 (sealant:pBA). I've been doing this for a few years with DG501/PBA, and it works great (skips a step).

Thank you and yes I did notice the shortcut. Which I will try in the spring time. I'm all for saving a step since I'm pretty tired when I'm done.

Newbie to the forum here, but avid detailer. Finish Kare 1000P, commonly referred to as FK1000P is the best LSP short of a Ceramic Coating, heck it is even better than some coatings in some respects like resistance to water spotting and bird dirt etching. FK1000P is also far superior to Collinite #4766S. Nowadays the only real reason that I use my tin of 476S is because I want to get rid of it, I can't justify throwing it in the trash. FK1000P, I must always have it in my arsenal. Something else that I like about it is layer-ability, since it originally started out life as a molding release wax, the more it is layered, the better it performs, not something that I have found 476S to do well with. It is also much easier to actually clean a vehicle that has FK1000P on it versus 476S. However, if I want a carnauba glow the 476S wins, but the performance benefits of FK1000P outweighs my desire for a carnauba glow.

Last edited:
Finish Kare (FK1000) is the best for any car stored outside in the elements as far durability, especially in the hot sun. Try it, nothing last longer (at least 6 months) and it gives a great look. You will be surprised. Been using it for many years, tried others and nothing compares!

I share this experience. Also, I've found it to leave an oily residue.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm wondering why those two products? There are a number of good ones out there.

I would consider Jescar PowerLock. It's a excellent and well proven sealant. Easy to apply. It should easily give you six months. The sheeting action is excellent.

Jescar PowerLock would be an excellent choice while you have the car and can spend a few hours on it. In my experience this lasts longer than anything else I've used. But still, only about 3 months max for me.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Why not get him a bottle of Optimum Spray wax and call it a day?

You spritz it on maybe every third time you wash. It will last a couple of months anyway and takes all of 15 minutes to apply.

For pure ease of use and quick results Optimum spray is very good. While he was away, this is something your son could do immediately after the car was washed. Spray on, wipe off. With a clean, dry car in the shade, 10 minutes max with a clean hand towel towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back