Do you like donating/giving at Christmas time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking like Toys for Tots, Food Banks, Angel Tree, Red Kettle etc....

I usually throw money into the Red Kettles multiple times. I have adopted a family at Christmas before and have bought for Toys for Tots but not consistently.

How about you guys?

Absolutely. Red Kettles, Angel Trees, food bank drives, etc... Have also donated musical instruments (buy at thrift stores and fix up) and archery equipment to local schools. This past year, we have also donated in excess of 1,200 lbs of children's books to local schools, teachers, and Big Brother Big Sister drives.

Also try to be as generous with my time as possible...........along with my oil stash for friends and family.
grin.gif

During the Christmas season I start shopping for things at "Food For Less", a budget grocery store in a town near us. It caters to the less fortunate. Twice in the last three years I have paid the entire grocery bill for someone who seems like a good person, but clearly has limited financial resources.

Two years ago when I last did this, it was for a nice Mexican woman. From the looks of her grocery collection I could tell she was trying to muster up the nicest Christmas dinner she could afford - and that wasn't much.

The woman cashier actually started to cry at my generosity. I felt great for an entire month afterwards, and I enjoyed that reward for just $100 +/-.

FWIW,

Scott

Since tax reform (if that's a good name for it), I'm under the threshold for hitting my standard deduction, so this year I'm giving only from my directed giving fund, meaning $250 minimum donations. I'm planning on doubling up on donations on odd numbered years to hit the level. I know many charities were concerned about this tax change and I suspect giving patterns have changed. I plan on loading up my directed giving fund next year (maybe enough to account for giving for the rest of my life) and doubling my charitable giving. So... odd years, big giver, even years $crooge McDuck.

I am ringing the Salvation Army bell tomorrow and will throw some money into the red kettle.

Last edited:
I try and share throughout the year; Christmas season is not special to me.
But I am happy others choose to reach deeper to help others in need.
All good.

I usually do a few Angle Tree gifts, we pick 4 to 6 people. Needy vets and Kids. Wife and I don't exchange gifts we spend the money on others. I get what I need when I need it.
Always the Salvation Army and local food bank. This year I gave 30 bucks to the local needy animals foundation in the area too.

When my mother was growing up during the depression her parents often took the children down to the Salvation Army Christmas Party. My mother has fond memories of these events. They were not members of the Salvation Army themselves. As the years passed right up to her death my mother made contributions to the Salvation Army via mail and the red pails. She has passed now and I still drop money into the red pails. I also pay tithing to my church and pay fast offerings to the church. I donate items I don't need any longer to two of the local church run thrift stores. One is Goodwill and the other Deseret Industries. We also give to the local food bank food drives all during the year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I try and share throughout the year; Christmas season is not special to me.
But I am happy others choose to reach deeper to help others in need.
All good.

This. I try to do good year round. The holidays do get depressing for some with the associated financial burden, so the extra help that comes out at that time of year does help with that.

There is a need year round, not just at Christmas time. So my feeling is charity is not confined to December, and it should be anonymous and not discussed, lest one be seen as tooting their own horn.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I am thinking like Toys for Tots, Food Banks, Angel Tree, Red Kettle etc....

I usually throw money into the Red Kettles multiple times. I have adopted a family at Christmas before and have bought for Toys for Tots but not consistently.

How about you guys?

All of the above at one time or the other.

This year we got names from a Salvation Army Angel Tree.

A 3 year old named Aldo is going to be a happy boy!

Cue Crocodile Dundee voice: "That's a trike!"

trike.jpg

I volunteer with under privileged kids and see how organizations that support the less fortunate work and in my opinion your time/money is better spent by doing what you can yourself. I have no problem with just walking by the donation box.

For me its Salvation Army, 82nd Airborne Division Association and 101st Airborne Division Association. Salvation Army is around Christmas, and the others are year around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back