Toyota 2TR-FE 2.7 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

Curious about this mill. Its durability is legendary amongst the Tacoma and Hilux crowd...but I'm wondering if its easy or hard on oil. Ive never owned a Toyota 4cy engine. What do we know about them...are they a good candidate for EOCI?

Easy on oil. Very sensitive to overheating. Some High Mileage examples randomly blow headgaskets. I know 3 Tacoma owners with that engine. 2 had head gasket failure after 200k miles. I guess age and miles come to play here. Third one, my father's 2009 Tacoma, is trouble free at 60k miles. I would definitely own one for life.

Here is a Tacoma with that engine at 1.2 million miles:

My 07 is the same color and has 110K miles now. Doubt I'll see that many miles but i will get rid of the truck on my own schedule instead of vice versa.
smile.gif

Got to love southern roads and how easy on a vehicle they are. Stick that truck up in the northeast chassis and body would have been rotted out 1 million miles ago.

He uses Castrol 5W-20 high mileage oil. First change of trans fluid at 486,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Got to love southern roads and how easy on a vehicle they are. Stick that truck up in the northeast chassis and body would have been rotted out 1 million miles ago.

We in the South are truly blessed . We had the first snow of the season last Friday . Driving through the slush & water , as it melted , I was thinking how glad I am that the underside of the car & nooks / crannies were getting washed with FRESH water , not salty water . :)

I have never retired a vehicle because of rust . Age , wear , mechanical breakage , accidents , yes .

The company Silverado I am driving has 220000 + miles on it . We retired a 1996 Chevy Lumina at 160000 miles , but due to the transmission going out . Car was not worth the price of the repair / replacement .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

We in the South are truly blessed . We had the first snow of the season last Friday . Driving through the slush & water , as it melted , I was thinking how glad I am that the underside of the car & nooks / crannies were getting washed with FRESH water , not salty water . :)

I have never retired a vehicle because of rust . Age , wear , mechanical breakage , accidents , yes .

The company Silverado I am driving has 220000 + miles on it . We retired a 1996 Chevy Lumina at 160000 miles , but due to the transmission going out . Car was not worth the price of the repair / replacement .

That salt brine is nasty stuff

Thanks for the videos...seems like a nice guy!

The engines are pretty well known to be bullet proof...ive not heard of the head gasket issues at high mileage.

Im considering running Valvoline syn 5w30 at a 10k oci. It would simplify things for me...as i already buy it for my wife 4runner. Also being a 4cy id imagine its going to wind out the RPMs on the highway...as our limit is 75mph so i travel roughly at 84mph cruising speeds.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Thanks for the videos...seems like a nice guy!

The engines are pretty well known to be bullet proof...ive not heard of the head gasket issues at high mileage.

Im considering running Valvoline syn 5w30 at a 10k oci. It would simplify things for me...as i already buy it for my wife 4runner. Also being a 4cy id imagine its going to wind out the RPMs on the highway...as our limit is 75mph so i travel roughly at 84mph cruising speeds.

Any thoughts?

I have a 2006 2.7 Tacoma very similar to the million mile example above. It's an automatic has 149,000 miles and runs perfect. My highway RPMs are around 2k at 65mph and around 2400 at 75mph. Cruising at 84 would probably be close to 3k in an automatic, certainly not winding out but that's where these trucks really start guzzling fuel, FYI. So in my opinion the gearing for the automatic is pretty tall, and I hear that the manual versions are revving a bit higher at the same speeds.
I'd say these engines are pretty easy on oil, I have been running 7,000 mile intervals using synthetic 5w30 and it is still transparent on the dipstick when it is changed. It's dark amber color but you can still see the dipstick through it easily. And in the drain pan, the used oil looks smooth still with good viscosity/flow. I know the eyeball measurement means little but I am planning to go closer to 8k on the next interval. (I use the oil blotter tests periodically.) The oil level does not change between services and the oil never smells of fuel, so to me that means it is not burning oil. Other than the extended oil changes, I service my truck per the manual and haven't had any overheating issues mentioned above. Also I haven't heard of the head gasket issues either, although overheating and head gasket issues often go together.
I would say you are good going 10k on Valvoline 5w30 as long as your engine is healthy and clean, and at least half of the miles are highway/easy driving. I would recommend running a high capacity oil filter for extended intervals, or run a standard filter and change it at 5k (top it off with fresh oil).
My truck being 12 years old, I'm stoked that everything still works, all the switches and knobs and electronics, heater and radio and dash bulbs/gauges, it all works fine. I replaced the water pump a few months ago and that's the only new hardware. Probably going to need new U-joints and shocks by 200k. It's not a trail burner or a towing brute but it is a great truck for what it is. I haul dirt bikes and camping gear maybe a dozen times a year, and run some light equipment around town for my job. So it does great for what I need. Hope this helps you.

Mad props to Carolina Man.
GTX HM 5W20.
Duly noted.
Low phosphorus.
Cat not poisoned by blow by etc.

My job as a delivery driver is similar, albeit with harder driving,
because there are frequent time critical deadlines.

I have driven two 2TR FE's for a total of 830k miles.
Many miles are accrued in short order.
California smog laws are draconian.
Oil consumption is an issue.

An epiphany has occurred.

THE definitive issue is IMV piston cleanliness and piston ring coking.
This is based upon my personal experience,
combined with recent viewing of tear downs
showing carbon build up in specific locations.

I have always been a thin oil purest.
TGMO.
Sustina,
Ravenol/Citgo 0W16 in a hybrid.
You name it.

Now, I have switched out
PUP 5W20
for
PP Euro L 5W30.
It is a no brainer.
-- MB 229.51
-- $4.50/qt.

For me, the thin vs thick debate is over.

13.gif

... That salt brine is nasty stuff
Yep. I'd also call it sabotage, funded by your taxes.

Am i crazy...or would a 30 or even a quality 40 like rotella 5w40 be better for my high RPM application. 3k RPM for hours on end is really moving...

Before the owners manual only types chime in...consider this. This engine is speced for oil up to and including 50wt abroad.

Am i crazy...or would a 30 or even a quality 40 like rotella 5w40 be better for my high RPM application. 3k RPM for hours on end is really moving...

Before the owners manual only types chime in...consider this. This engine is speced for oil up to and including 50wt abroad.

For extended high speed driving, Toyota says a higher viscosity may be better suited. It is in the manual.

I am comfortable with a 0w20 to an a3 rated. 40 wt. depending on application.

The last 4 banger I had in a Tacoma was in a 2001. If it wasn't a cramped regular cab I would have kept it longer. It was a joy.

Ill be [censored]...you are 100% correct. Id assume that leaves out Rotella and the like as its not gasoline rated...my next best bet is likely M1 0w40?

My only gripe with m1 is that its really a thick 30. My only other option available locally though are the diesel options...

Originally Posted by BigD1
He uses Castrol 5W-20 high mileage oil. First change of trans fluid at 486,000 miles.

Of note here...

First transmission fluid change at 486,000 miles.......

Quite doggone impressive.

Yea...i saw that. Good trans for sure. Not 100% on the 2nd gen Tacoma (which that truck is) but the 3rd gen truck as well as the 4runner uses the same trans for the 4cy as it does for the V6. (4 runner only has a v6) Ive personally found 4cy engines to be very easy on transmissions. One of the reasons i like them so much. That is a [censored] good trans Toyota uses.

M1 0w40 is fine. Pros and cons to every formulation.
It has an HTHS of 3.6. HTHS is a more precise indicator of viscosity protection than SAE grades which are broad. I really don't see a reason to go much higher than that.
. You cold also run a ilsac 5 or 10w 30 without issue.
The engines are not that sensitive to viscosity change.unless it is really cold.

Ill be [censored]...you are 100% correct. Id assume that leaves out Rotella and the like as its not gasoline rated...my next best bet is likely M1 0w40?

My only gripe with m1 is that its really a thick 30. My only other option available locally though are the diesel options...

To add another wrinkle...this engine will see cold starts around and below -30F from time to time. Coldest I've seen is -42F...without wind chill.

How would the M1 0w40 handle those temps compared to say a quality sun 5w30.

My super duty 6.2 did extremely well on synpower 5w30 at 10k OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back