2012 Accord,QSUD 5W20,WIX 57356 filter,3K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
All city driving,lots of stop and go,lots of idling. I did several surveillance cases using this car.

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 6.17.50 PM.png

Looks great! My numbers have been higher on my 2012 Accord K24, not significantly though. Again, looks good!

Originally Posted by Gubkin
new SN Plus, GF-5, dexos1 gen2 ?

Yep,SN Plus Dexos Gen 2. "Born on date" of June 25,2018.

Originally Posted by The Critic
That is a lot of shearing (viscosity loss) for 3K.

I was thinking that too.

Dude - 3k miles on syn?
21.gif

OK - I'll ease off a bit. You paid for the UOA, and the data is telling you that you could go further on the OCI. A lot further. A WHOLE lot further.
So ... what you gonna do?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Dude - 3k miles on syn?
21.gif

OK - I'll ease off a bit. You paid for the UOA, and the data is telling you that you could go further on the OCI. A lot further. A WHOLE lot further.
grin.gif

Yeah, thats wasting a great oil :^)

All in all it looks great and wear #'s amazing
smile.gif

I had 3 Honda 4 cylinder engines. OC per the MM, usually 8-10k. The UOA were so boring I stopped spending the money and time on them. I used the cheapest Full Syn I could find which after rebates was usually free. I had no trouble selling these cars, usually writhin a week of posting the ad.

Sam

Dude - 3k miles on syn?
21.gif

grin.gif

Haha I'll be a 3/3K guy till the day I die
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Dude - 3k miles on syn?
21.gif

grin.gif

Haha I'll be a 3/3K guy till the day I die
laugh.gif

There's nothing that makes that "wrong", as long as you understand you over grossly wasting money. If you're a 3/3k guy, then I'd say buy the cheapest API lube you can find anywhere. And quit doing UOAs; that's also a waste of money if 3/3k is your intent. Sure - you might discover something going wrong with the UOA. A big, fat maybe. But the waste of syn and UOA data is 100% assured. It's a Honda 4-cyl engine; they're not exactly ticking-time-bombs waiting to explode. A bazllion of these engines run for decades without ever seeing a drop of syn or a sniff of a UOA.

UOAs are tools to understand wear rates first and foremost. If you're going to ignore the data you pay for, by not extending out the use of the syn, then you're doubling down on the waste.
If you're OK with that; fine by me. But maybe someone else can learn from your folly and not fall into the same trap.

Last edited:
Yes over maintaining your car is a sin on BITOG. No really its the car owners prerogative. You can do that and likely still out perform the Stealership prices by 30 to 50%. But a TBN would have been nice but Blackstone charges extra for that get a WIX kit next time.

Well … to me one or the other … If you don't push today's oils … ?
Don't also spend money on UOA's …
I run by OLM … ~ that's 7k ish …and even follow after warranty since price of the oil is what the UOA costs …
(Not willing to go extreme on AC Delco filters either) …

I do a uoa on my cars (this will probably be my only one) to make sure there are no problems,obviously because they are used cars and you never know how they were treated or why they were traded/sold.

Sure,a 3/3 oci on $20 a quart Eneos would be silly,but on $18 per 5 quart jug Quaker State,no comparison. If an initial uoa showed crazy wear metals,that car would get unloaded asap.

I also change brake fluid/power steering fluid every few months,transmission fluid once a year,and coolant once a year.

I'm very ocd with my vehicles because I have to count on these vehicles impeccably to never let me down.

Then you have the ones who think all oil/cars can go almost indefinitely without change or maintenance and wonder why their engines suddenly seize up or fall to pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back