'17 Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
Yeah the speculation is often done by individual's whom have never designed, tested, recorded every not of data, often the speculation is done by one who has never tore a engine down.

Good one. My hat is off to you sir!
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
5w-30 should still be permissible in the manual

That's right! Sometimes they hide that detail a little. i.e. the big chart shows 0Wx20 over all temp ranges. However the "thicker oil" recommendation is in writing so some (thinies) will miss that detail but thickies can easily find it
lol.gif

imho, no truck should ever run with 0Wx20 unless you are going to the Mall with it
shocked2.gif

FYI - no mention of 5W-30 anywhere in the 18 Titan owner's manual, at least, only 0W-20 is mentioned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer

That's right! Sometimes they hide that detail a little. i.e. the big chart shows 0Wx20 over all temp ranges. However the "thicker oil" recommendation is in writing so some (thinies) will miss that detail but thickies can easily find it
lol.gif

imho, no truck should ever run with 0Wx20 unless you are going to the Mall with it
shocked2.gif

How accurate is your opinion? Your data and observations should be interesting.

Originally Posted by double vanos
How do you like the Titan? Hear very little about them in the press.

I love it! The Platinum Reserve is super nice and the 5.6 has plenty of pep.
I haven't seen any mention of 5w-30 but I'll look again. I still haven't decided on what oil to use but I have plenty of time before it's due another change. Here is a good article on why I was asking about a oil for DI engines (https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...-oil-releases-direct-injection-spec-oil/).
Thanks for all of your help!

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by OilUzer

lol.gif

shocked2.gif

How accurate is your opinion? Your data and observations should be interesting.

I actually dont have any specific data or observation that I can point to ... Also know few who use 0Wx20 in their trucks with no oil related issues. I also had 0Wx20 in my truck (free dealer oil changes) ...

However based on what I've read on the internet
shocked2.gif
and basically my own research, I've come to the conclusion and opinion that thicker (relative term) oil can be more suitable for most applications. Neither oil will blow up your engine
grin2.gif

Also all my cars recommending 0Wx20 and 5Wx20, allow thicker oils. My 5Wx20 car has big charts showing 5Wx20, 5Wx30 and 10Wx30 ... and all are ok to use but it recommends 5Wx20 all over including the oil cap.
My 0Wx20 truck iirc, has only one chart showing 0Wx20 but in writing it says higher viscosity oil is more suitable for high speed and/or high load or something to that effect! It does not specify 5Wx30 or 10Wx30 or 10Wx40, etc. Just says higher viscosity ...
also not that I care, but in general, my opinion is not violating any manufacturing recommendations either!
That should keep the "go by the spec." group happy
lol.gif

5K OCI w 020 makes sense - the earlier non DI 5.6's had a 7500 mile OCI on Xw-30.

Given the thinner oil, direct injection pump, and the mills tendency to shear, Im not surprised the OCI was shortened to 5K.

I think that will be fine and return good economy and wear - if a bit frequent - Id get a topside changer.

After 100K when its well loosened up and out of warranty you can so how it does with 30.

UD

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very good post UD.

That is very reasonable.

I have 250k miles on my Nissan Altima VQ 3.5. Always ran 5w30 and or 0w30. The VQ motors are known to shear oil viscosity down at times in service. So a longer run would not be always the best plan at all times.

Originally Posted by aba4430
FYI - no mention of 5W-30 anywhere in the 18 Titan owner's manual, at least, only 0W-20 is mentioned.

Yes, I checked both the 2018 and 2017 manuals, and there no longer is a mention of 5w-30. I don't know how far that's spread through the Nissan/Infiniti lineup, but that's definitely the case with the Titan.

Originally Posted by aba4430

Yes, I checked both the 2018 and 2017 manuals, and there no longer is a mention of 5w-30. I don't know how far that's spread through the Nissan/Infiniti lineup, but that's definitely the case with the Titan.

Intetesting! Maybe Nissan Is very confident that Titan engine with 0Wx20 can handle all conditions!

Is there a mention of "higher viscosity oil maybe better suited if operating the vehicle under high speeds or under extreme load condition ..." ? That's from Tundra's OM but it doesn't mention any specific grade except "higher viscosity".

That's weird since 0Wx20 should handle all temperatures if Nissan is set on using x20.
Seems like it is a left-over statement that may be removed in the next version of OM.
Or are they leaving the door open for higher viscosity oil if temperatures are high!
Either way it is not a useful instructions for an average consumer.
They should either say use 0Wx20 and that's it or be more specific (semi-specific) like Toyota.

Actually Tundra OM says ... Use higher viscosity oil (one with higher value) ...
shocked2.gif

What's higher value than 20? Just say 30 or 40
lol.gif

Last edited:
At least they got rid of some leftover statements they had in years past. They had a little more phrasing going on there, even when 5w-30 was the only grade. And no, it's really not useful instructions to the average consumer, or any consumer. If we get wadded up here at BITOG about whether this Titan should use only 0w-20 or if other grades are actually permissible, the average consumer doesn't stand a chance at figuring it out.

At least they got rid of some leftover statements they had in years past. They had a little more phrasing going on there, even when 5w-30 was the only grade. And no, it's really not useful instructions to the average consumer, or any consumer. If we get wadded up here at BITOG about whether this Titan should use only 0w-20 or if other grades are actually permissible, the average consumer doesn't stand a chance at figuring it out.

Indeed. Many here would post either the 20 grade does not protect and the 30 grade is too thick under 32F.

For sure. I'm so doomed this winter with a 5w-30, after all.
wink.gif

SMH tailor. It's going to bust at the seams with that molasses. Your going to need kerosene to thin it out.

Does Nissan still recommend I'm thinking something like 3500 mile oci for severe service? You could always use a good 5W20. You'd still be using the recommended 20,while "moving up" to a slightly thicker 5W base oil for sheer stability? At least that what I've read here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back