Who make a good Lawn mower battery!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found that a good mounting prolongs the life of mower batteries. Often the original one is poor. I have used plumbers strap and a few extra screws to make a more secure mounting. A thin stick on rubber pad under the battery also helps. And a maintainer.

As far as I know, any mower that has an electric PTO clutch has a voltage regulator. Because of the safety requirement to disengage blades in reverse (easily defeated I might add) every riding mower since 2004 has electric PTO so they also have regulator.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Lubener
Buy from a store which has a fast turn around on batteries such as Walmart. Freshness at buying time is very important not brand. I would stay away from Auto parts stores which have batteries sitting around for 6+ months. After that, I put them on charge once or twice during winter. I don't ever recall having one fail in less than 6 years old.

Lol! I just checked and the one on the left is at 12.3v... definitely pay attention to date codes at the auto parts store!
[Linked Image]

I am surprised I haven't been escourted out of my Walmart. I have been known to empty a shelf on the floor just to get that one month old battery in the back of the display. Of course I put them back too.

Last edited:
If it is any consolation the battery in my lawnmower is 10 years old. It is a 318 John Deere though so not one of those cheapie batteries.

I've come to the conclusion (especially after purchasing a $46. John Deere battery that lasted 1 year) that the best lawn mower battery is the cheapest that one can find.
My last two have come from Rural King (Exide) and were < than $15. w/ a mail in rebate that is generally offered at the beginning of the season. I got 4 years out of the first, which I have found is about average.

I just use full size battery in mine.

My last one was used when I got it and lasted 4 years.. all I did was put it on the charger for an hour in the spring.

Oreilly super start brand is made in the USA..... believe it or not most batteries fail because owners let them get below 50% discharge (12.0Vdc). Bafferies sulfate and wont hold a charge after that. Batteries discharge at about 10% each month so I just keep maintainers on mine. My exmark still has the original battery and its 6 years old. My last rv batteries were 8 years old before I swapped them out and they stayed on the charger/maintainer also. You can get a 1.5ah maintainer from tractor supply for $20 and all of your battery woes will disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back