Witch way does this valve work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Witch way does this valve go? Its a couple psi pressure relief valve. Im modifing a oil cap to add this. Say pick 1 is "a" and pic 2 is "b". Im guessing "a" is the side the goes into the motor?

154B8596-39DA-453C-850D-F3D8F24AFB57.jpeg

AC50B935-5FFB-40FA-8CAB-45676027E81D.jpeg

My guess is with the "bar" on top - -

you mean to vent PRESSURE OUT?

If so - - - you have WAAAAAYYYYY too much blowby!!

I think you would want to flow toward the needle that is shown in the first picture.

If it is your intent to relieve pressure from the crankcase to atmosphere, I believe picture #2 is configured correctly.

If it has a low pressure spring, you may be able to blow on it or use shop air to determine the flow direction.

Be aware that a setup like you seem to be proposing will impact you PCV system. Why not just use the PCV system as it has likely been designed???

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

most likely flows from A to B (bar side up or out). I agree, a goes into the motor.
Like Eddie said...quick test with pressure.

Equinox does not have a pcv system. It has a little hole in the manifold to contasntly vent air but there is stories of them clogging with the winter yellow short trip goop. Then it freezes closed. Then the rear main seal blows. Im just trying to prevent that. Im only in it less than $15.

Originally Posted by Dylan1303
Equinox does not have a pcv system. It has a little hole in the manifold to contasntly vent air but there is stories of them clogging with the winter yellow short trip goop. Then it freezes closed. Then the rear main seal blows. Im just trying to prevent that. Im only in it less than $15.

can you enlarge the hole?

Originally Posted by DriveHard
... can you enlarge the hole?
Wouldn't that screw up the fuel-air mixture, especially at idle? Or increase oil consumption?

Originally Posted by CR94
... can you enlarge the hole?
Wouldn't that screw up the fuel-air mixture, especially at idle? Or increase oil consumption?

I wouldn't think so...as long as the crankcase is sealed as it should be, the only flow coming out of the crankcase into the intake would be blowby. Changing the size of the hole should not effect the amount of blowby, right?

... Changing the size of the hole should not effect the amount of blowby, right?
True, it wouldn't change the amount of blowby, but either I'm guessing wrong how these orifice-only crankcase vent systems work, or else it would increase the volume of fresh air sucked through the crankcase into the intake manifold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
... Changing the size of the hole should not effect the amount of blowby, right?
True, it wouldn't change the amount of blowby, but either I'm guessing wrong how these orifice-only crankcase vent systems work, or else it would increase the volume of fresh air sucked through the crankcase into the intake manifold.

I don't know the arrangement of your specific engine...but how does it suck fresh air INTO the crankcase??? Shouldn't it be sealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back