Do grandparents charge for watching grandchildren?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife believes in what she calls the "ask 10 grandmothers" to get a consensus of what people feel is right. So here is our background and question.

We watch our grandchild practically around the clock. The granddaughters mother is one who makes a lot of bad decisions in her life and has ended up living with us over the last 2 years on and off a total of just over 6 months. She became pregnant by my youngest son and then they broke up. The last time she moved in with us over some emergency move out she had to make we told her she was going to have to pay rent and pony up on childcare. She originally agreed to the terms but never seems to have money to pay. She does work full time with overtime hours and gets $2200.00 or better a month. We asked $400 rent for a room and $400 for day care. She works the third shift so the granddaughter is with us overnight. We get up in the morning and bathe and feed and take care of her during the day while mom sleeps. Mom is not really attached to the child emotionally but does not wish to give her up for adoption due to her own abandonment issues with her mom.

So we had a sit down with her and said we have helped and allowed her to live with us three separate times over the last two years and we have received no compensation for the hours needed to care for the child or to feed and clothe her and her daughter. Also we never asked her for rent on the room. She does not cook and refuses to learn how. Her response was that her therapist says grandparents should not charge for day care of grandchildren. I would agree with that if we were just watching her a few days a week during the afternoon or such but where we are doing the around the clock care and providing a roof over the mothers head and feeding both of them and I feel asking for financial help is not out of line.

My wife and I both are on SSI and I have a small retirement from past jobs. Between the two I have an income of $2000.00 a month. I also have a side part time job that can bring in $300 to $400 extra a month. My wife has a disability check for $900.00 My income pays household expenses and my wife pays for her personal medical needs with her check. Won't go into it here but the income is not available to household expenses. So I carry the load in that regard. My son as of yet has not manned up for his court appointed child care payments. He and I are in disagreement with his attitude about this.

So the question is are we out of line asking the mother of our grandaughter to be paying us for room and board and childcare expenses? What say you? Thanks for your responses.

Originally Posted by MRtv
So the question is are we out of line asking the mother of our grandaughter to be paying us for room and board and childcare expenses?
IMO, not at all.

Sounds like she's milking you left right and center.

How old is your son?

As difficult and it may be, you need to kick her and your son out, and have them pay for their own place. They've been freeloading on you for too long and got too complacent doing it, and likely see little reason to change this situation, unless they're given a swift kick out the door.

Life is tough sometimes, and I understand kids wanting to stay with the parents, but if they have jobs, they need to fully contribute financially to the household.

Tough, tough situation. Your son is really the one that put you in this situation. Not knowing about the situation, you could be enablers. Hard to press the grandkid's mother for money when your son owes her money. I mean, look at it from her perspective. Your son walked out on her and now his parents are pressing her for cash to take care of their son's kid. Either do it for love or don't do it.

My 2 cents, as these things are always pretty personal.

1. If it were a healthy family situation (i.e. your son and his now ex-partner were still together) (which this no longer is) I would agree with the therapist that grandparents shouldn't charge for looking after grandkids. Obviously not the case anymore.
2. This role of carer was I assume never planned for by you and is taking a lot of resources you need for living.
2. The person(s)s with the real responsibility here is primarily your son, to take responsibility for his child. If he has court appointed childcare payments he is running a big risk not paying them (contempt of court?). Secondarily the mother is of course also responsible but it seems she is incapable of providing responsible care.

Tough situation, good luck.

You can always give Dave Ramsey a call, he will prbably give tough love to your son...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
So the question is are we out of line asking the mother of our grandaughter to be paying us for room and board and childcare expenses?
IMO, not at all.

Sounds like she's milking you left right and center.

How old is your son?

As difficult and it may be, you need to kick her and your son out, and have them pay for their own place. They've been freeloading on you for too long and got too complacent doing it, and likely see little reason to change this situation, unless they're given a swift kick out the door.

I assumed the son is not living with them. He's out of the picture.

Therapists don't dictate family policy. She needs to spend less time having the therapist tell her she's right and more time taking care of her child or making money to support the default household she fell back upon.

If, god willing, she starts doing so well by herself and your granddaughter that she moves out and has more room to breathe, good on her.

Some grandparents volunteer for this duty, are well enough off, and don't need the cash. They aren't you.

This situation is terrible. I feel for everyone involved except your son. We can teach our kids right from wrong and hold them accountable growing up. So he made a grown up decision to father a child and decided not to live to his responsibility. Now it's your turn to contact your local attorney's office and start a case against your son. I understand you and your wife do not want to go after him but he is the among the lowest of the low of not providing for his children. He made his bed and like it or not your Granddaughter has a higher priority of care than he.

Tough situation however since you and your wife are on a fixed-and-limited income, time for the freeloaders to move out. Granddaughter will need to be taken care of by her parents or you decide if you want/can formally adopt her in my opinion. This entire situation is a disaster and will not get better unless you act now.

I'd have a talk with her and see if she'll agree to maybe even just the $400 a month for rent for now. Sounds like at least she's doing ok herself, could be worse.

Your son should be paying you child support though. IMO he's the bigger problem here since it doesn't sound like he raises the kid at all.

When I worked nights at the 'yard, one of the riggers was on work release from jail until he earned enough to pay back the child support he owed. If your state has a similar deal, maybe ...

My aunt and uncle don't have a lot of money and they watch their grandkids for a small fee. My cousins are happy paying this because the cost of daycare otherwise would just about bankrupt them for 3 kids.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Therapists don't dictate family policy. She needs to spend less time having the therapist tell her she's right and more time taking care of her child or making money to support the default household she fell back upon.

If, god willing, she starts doing so well by herself and your granddaughter that she moves out and has more room to breathe, good on her.

Some grandparents volunteer for this duty, are well enough off, and don't need the cash. They aren't you.

Sorry to hear about this situation but eljefino is right. Additionally, this what your DIL has said the therapist has said.

Ask to go with your DIL to the next therapy session.

I know you love your granddaughter but your son and DIL are milking the situation and taking advantage of your kindness.

Unless the circumstances were really dire, I don't think you should have to raise your granddaughter in retirement.

Last edited:
OP, how old are the parent's of your grandchild?
The age of those involved is required to make an informed suggestion (teens vs. twenty or thirty somethings).

Reason why I ask is I had teenage members in my family who got girls (yes, teenage girls and not "young women") pregnant.
This drastically changed everyone's life in my family and led to many other ill-suited decisions.
This didn't bother me tho, I turned out just fine
crazy.gif

coffee2.gif

Sounds like the only love and stability this grandchild is getting is from Grampa and Grammy. Therefore well you already know. Use the legal system to get the father to do the right thing. The mother obviously should do more and if she refuses should be shown the door. Reality is too many of the younger generation would rather live in squalor and party. Cannot fathom why.

A few things I forgot to add and to answer the questions asked by a few here. My son is now 39. He seems to pick younger women. I think it is a power and control issue on his part. The mother is younger. late 20s. My son is out of the picture.

Absolutely we are being enablers here. That kind of happened when my heart was stolen by this little girl. We did do a sit down and basically told the mother that she has to pony up or move to her dads or somewhere else. Her relationship with her dad is pretty awful really so that played a part of why we delayed having to demand she step up her game and start helping out financially. We finally felt we had to do it to help with the personal growth of the mother. She will have to give up her job and move out of state if she decides to not pay us. Or she can decide to pay us and stay. If she stays or goes she has future plans to move out of state and move in with a friend there. She already has a job offer that is available beginning in Jan. The friend is not ready for the granddaughters mother to move out there yet.

So it really comes down to pay us for the next few weeks or month or move. The mother says she feels if she pays us she won't have the money to fly out. I disagree with that but that is her fear. She isn't really good with money. I think she needs to develop a better sense of how to handle money and do it quickly. Her pocket seems to have a hole in it and she doesn't know where the money goes. I know my wife and I have enabled this and we now will no longer do so. I can tell you having my granddaughter being sent away like this will break my heart but this has to happen. That little girl is pretty strongly attached to us. We have been the caregivers and she said tonight that Papa makes her happy. She is two and a half years old. Thanks so much for your responses. Any more input?

Last edited:
It sounds like your son, his baby's mama and your granddaughter really need your help. You're probably the only stable people in their lives. The best thing you can do is provide a safe calm environment for the granddaughter.

No, it's not fair to you, and yes they need to grow up, but that isn't happening right now.

Mom is not really attached to the child emotionally but does not wish to give her up for adoption due to her own abandonment issues with her mom.
You can't have it both ways. When I was younger and I would meet someone who had a single parent that you could tell was not interested anymore and it made me really sad.

Hard calls here.

You son is a dead beat. You are making up for his shortcomings.
Your grandchilds mother is a mooch. You are enabling her.
You are going broke doing this.

And none of this is your precious grand-daughters fault.

I really don't know what advice to give you that is relevant.
IMO, don't charge for the "daycare" of your grandchild, but her mom should pay rent if she is living with you.
Also look into tax exemptions for taking care of your grand daughter. That could give you a little relief.
Finally, get your son to pay up. It could get ugly, but if he has court ordered payments, and he is not paying them, turn him in.
Bring him to civil court if needed.

Is the childs mother OK with giving you and your wife custody, while she still remains the "mother"? Are you up to 24/7 care of the child (although sounds like you are doing almost that now).

Now go give that little girl a hug and kiss.

Since she doesn't know how to cook, a lot of her money is probably going towards fast food and cigarettes. But if you truly care about this child, you need to persuade the mother that it is in the child's best interest if you and your wife are granted custody. Keep reinforcing this. You do not want that child to leave the state! Any number of scenarios could play out and most would be bad, since she is probably going to 'sponge' off of whoever she lives with. At best, the child would end up in the foster system. Being in a different state would make it harder for you to extract the child from that system.

The time to act is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back