Liqui Moly Special Tec AA 5w20 API SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! It's been a long while since I've been active here are BITOG. I used to spend countless hours roaming around and reading about everything oil. It just seems that I don't have as much free time as I used to, and I've fallen behind on all the latest and greatest that is oil!

I'll get to the point...

I got a good buy on Liqui Moly 5w20 API SN Special Tec AA Fully Synthetic Motor Oil in the 5l jugs. LM part # 2259.

I haven't been able to find to much info here when using the search function. There are some threads dating back to 2015 regarding LM LEICHTLAUF SPECIAL AA API SM 5w20. Obviously that is an older formulation and I'm not sure if the Leichtlauf AA is the same line as the Special Tec AA or not.

I'm just wondering what the story is on this stuff? It says Fully Synthetic and from what I know LM uses different types of "Synthetic Base Oils" depending on the product. What does this product use? Is it a "good" oil? It seems to be the requirements for the vehicles that I'm using it in. Where does it fall in line compared to your common "Walmart Shelf Brand Synthetic Oils"? It actually cost me less than the Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, and Castrol Synthetic 5QT jugs that they sell there. Plus I get an extra 1/4 QT in each thanks the the l jugs. I figured that I couldn't go wrong with it. It has to be about as good as anything on the shelf there, unless I'm wrong !?!?!?!?

One observation is that the oil is pretty clear compared to some is. It's not as darkly tinted. Other than that it seems to be working fine in my first engine. The second still has about 600 miles before it's due. No abnormalities that I've noticed. It seems just as quiet if not more so than anything else I've used. That is about as unscientific as you can get
smile.gif

Any info or thoughts on this stuff would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your response!

Liqui Moly makes good stuff. Looks like its SN+ certified but not officially certified for dexos 1 gen 2. Noack at 10.4%.
Data Sheet

You can get something at WM for less with a rebate that has both SN+ and dexos though.

What are you using this on?

Last edited:
Rebates are a PITA, and I picked these up for $18/5L jug. So in fine with that. Dexos isn't important to me. Vehicles are an '11 Ram 1500 5.7L and a '10 F150 5.4L. The Ram has an OLMS that generally pops up ~ 8K. The Ford usually has it's oil changed around 7.5K. So as long as I can feel confident with the oil retaining it's additives and protection at those intervals then everything should be good to go

I wish that I had some actual data numbers to compare this Oil to say Mobil 1 or Pennzoil just to see what the two look like side by side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back