Stored Generator w Fuel or Empty the Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Best F100
I have an old Honda EU6500is inverter generator that is stored outdoors (under a tarp). Steel gas tank.

I understand that many of you generator owners run your equipment completely out of fuel out, or drain out all the fuel (until the next power outage occurs).

I recently read that someone said, it is best to leave some gas + Stabil mixture in the tank, shut off the fuel supply and run until the engine runs out of fuel. I have been doing this, but I was told the REASON you don't leave the tank empty, (and carb dry) are, "The needle valve tip (made of rubber) will dry out if the carb is completely dry". They went on to say, they have seen brand new generators, (stored long term), still in the box with this valve frozen in the "up" position, or a resulting generator carb related spring that has lost its tension."

I never heard this before. Any truth to this statement?

I thought rust in the steel gas tank or condensation would be the only concerns for equipment stored out of doors (with the gas tank empty). Also, any trash or debris in the fuel, wound up in the carb, if I ran my generator completely out of fuel for long term storage. The results I had were hard to start problems, the next time I refilled it.

Can't be that old - introduced in 2008. Quite a fine unit and big $$$$. Is it not possible to pull it out and exercise it every month or so? Please expand on your storage method "under a tarp".

Thanks for replying. When I say old, I should have gone into more detail. I bought this generator a couple a years ago (for cheap - $950) with high hours on it. As you may know, this is about a $4000 unit, when new. 3600 hours on it! Yes 3600. Original owner was a local steel company that evidently gave it a hard workout. I have since had my local small engine shop rework the guts - new pistons, valves, etc. No problem getting Honda generator parts. It now lives on a diet of Mobil 1 15W50. Turn the key, and it starts, like "right now" - just like your car. However, it is old, and well used.

I have always had to keep it outdoors. No room for this big boy in the garage and local ordinance about have sheds where I live. Consequently, it lives under a heavy gauge, BBQ grill type form fitted type cover. I exercise it once or twice a month. I bought it, because it was one of the few inverter generators that could power the 240V items in the house, during power outages.

By the way, Honda generator fans, I came across someone selling a rare, Honda DIESEL generator. Not the Honda model, EX12D (the 12 kw unit of about 15 years ago), but the model EX5D. Looks just like the 12 kw unit - with an enclosed cover. Go on Youtube and you will see one. I am undecided if it would be an upgrade over what I have. Would a 5 kw Diesel generator be more fuel efficient (at full load), over a 6.5 kw inverter generator at the same load?

3600 hours is not that many if it is properly maintained. Probably wasn't.

Have you considered propane? If a model is available for your needs?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by gathermewool

What's the point of the TC-W3? This seems common here and I can't understand its purpose in a 4-stroke.

For me it keeps the float needle seat from sticking. I have an aerator that will stick if it sits unless it has some in the fuel.

Seems to keep the carb lubed and i think keeps crud from forming in the tank and fuel bowl. I generally only use it in ope in the last tank before storage.

Interesting. I'll have to think about this.

So, how does everyone store fuel for their generators? Metal can? plastic can? I need a new fuel can as my plastic one is cracked.

Originally Posted by spasm3
So, how does everyone store fuel for their generators? Metal can? plastic can? I need a new fuel can as my plastic one is cracked.

These or similar. They go on sale pretty regular. Don't get the Chinese knockoffs.
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJ...kxL0xFdWR-Y4uaiqsy2-S6kaPHxoCYJYQAvD_BwE
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Thanks hatt!

I was thinking jerry cans, as they should have less area of fuel exposed to air. Valpro seems to be the brand to get.

Last edited:
Mine are GELG. Made in Poland. I think all the European made cans are good. I'm not sure about how good the spouts interchange between brands so I'd get what you're going to get from one place. You can also use a super siphon. Atlantic British has 4 cans for $160 shipped sometimes.

.." leave some gas + Stabil mixture in the tank, shut off the fuel supply and run until the engine runs out of fuel. "

This is what I do for both my generators.. When power goes out.. old gas get diluted in the new gas added..

there is minimal ' stabilized gas' in the tank. - same for snowblower and ride mower.

Lawnmower gets the completely dry treatment

I never drain the fuel on anything . During the off season I crank the mowers and generator occasionally and let them run for a few minutes . The Zero Turn mower is used year round . I chop up the leaves in the winter .

I always keep tanks full with a stabilizer. The generators get run every 3 months with a load. Every 6 months I change out the fuel and use it in my truck.
At the beginning of hurricane season all the cans get filled . After hurricane season the cans go into the truck. Other than that I only keep enough on hand for grass cutting season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back