Light weight non stick 11" fry pan suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife got a T-Fal non stick set from work (5 year anniversary) that we have been using for probably 4 years. It was working fine but part of the pan is worn out, exposing bare and non-anodized aluminum. We need something bigger than 8-9 inch (need to cook for a family of 4) but smaller than 12 (too heavy). This is strictly for my wife due to light weight and I usually use the heavy 3 qt stainless for durability (forgot brand, but Swiss made, and still work like new after 10 years).

I don't mind PTFE / Teflon, and would like something that handle abuse well (so no ceramic) and light weight (again, wife want it light). We have gas so it is no need for induction base. My budget is up to $40 for just the 10-11" fry pan. I already have the 9" fry pan and it is still working fine, and other sizes are still in the garage unused (we have a small kitchen), so I do not want to buy a 10-12 piece set no matter how good a deal it is.

Any suggestion appreciated. Ceramic Enamel? PTFE reinforced with stones? buy a new cheap 11" every other year?

I saw a fry pan advertised on TV that was coated with kryptonite and you could run over it with a diesel locomotive or drop off a tall building and it would not dent it. If you ordered within the next 5 minutes they would send you eleven more for a total of twelve to give to friends and family. Just pay extra handling for the free ones. How much better a deal can one get?

Last edited:
Carbon steel. From what I understand they have similar attributes to a cast iron but are much lighter and closer to a pan than an iron skillet. They are also the pans that professional chefs use. I'm not a fan of non stick coatings, if I am going to ingest pan material I would rather it be iron than some mystery artificial substance.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lodge-CRS12-12-Inch-Diameter-Seasoned/dp/B005U93RYW

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Carbon steel. From what I understand they have similar attributes to a cast iron but are much lighter and closer to a pan than an iron skillet. They are also the pans that professional chefs use. I'm not a fan of non stick coatings, if I am going to ingest pan material I would rather it be iron than some mystery artificial substance.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lodge-CRS12-12-Inch-Diameter-Seasoned/dp/B005U93RYW

I'd go this route if you need light weight. All we use is Cast Iron. They are a little heavy when it comes to washing them. If my Wife cooks and uses a large cast iron I will always wash it for her.

Wearever Ceramic, I have the gold chicken fryer, and the 10.5 inch skillet.

The lid to the fryer fits the skillet...

WearEver C94433 Pure Living Nonstick Ceramic Coating Scratch Resistant PTFE PFOA and Cadmium Free Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Jumbo Cooker Cookware, 3.5-Quart, Gold https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A5DML6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4nfeCbXWV91XK

WearEver C94405 Pure Living Nonstick Ceramic Coating Scratch Resistant PTFE PFOA and Cadmium Free Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Saute Pan Fry Pan Cookware, 10.5-Inch, Gold https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A5DMNO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_gqfeCbQ0DNTBK

ScanPan expensive but worth it. they recommend + i do put COLD water in the HOT pan right after use!! many years + no warping!! these get used on my ceramic top stove so they gotta be flat for good heating. i bought many years ago, they were $$$ but even more now like everything today!!

Originally Posted by Audios
Im a big fan of the cast iron since I switched, once its seasoned its really great to work with.

Same here - - - - but he's looking for light weight for his wife

Cast iron!

I have 3-4 large fry pans, 3 8"-9" pans, and a 12" skillet (short curled up sides). I use the skillet for eggs and pancakes, the small fry pans for crepes, the larger for chicken and mixes, steaks go into the smaller ones then into the oven. I rinse with water, sometimes soap, never loses its seasoning.

No cast iron, no induction base.

I don't mind buying something often for the weight saving (wife has wrist problem), but would prefer durable if I can pay more for it (still has to be light weight). So far it seems like all the anodized pan are much heavier and the lightest I can see is Martha Stewart 10-in in Macy's.

I also don't mind PTFE, wife cooks with low heat and I do the high heat stuff in my stainless pan.

What about cast aluminum with enamel porcelain coating? I remember hearing about it but never see it in person.

Last edited:
Red copper pan works great get a year out of it for 20bucks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back