Exploding water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our water heater has started turning on with a big bang occasionally -- I would describe it as delayed ignition where the gas valve opens but then is not ignited immediately. It started doing this as the weather got cold. The pilot light is on and the status LED blinks normal function.

The gas valve is a Honeywell WV8840A1000. I suspect either the supply line is restricting the gas flow to the pilot flame, or the pilot flame has somehow moved away from the burner.

op - sounds like a good way to blow-up your house
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Sometimes the pilots are adjustable, but if the pilot has shifted position somehow or there's a restriction in the burner I wouldn't mess with it. I suspect it may be one of these new-fangled ones that has the burner access glued in place with a warning that you'll have to re-seal it if you take it apart.

I have seen a spider looking for a nice warm winter home for its eggs nest in the burner cavity. Residual web will cause this. If you wish you can remove the the burner assembly and clean it. Then refit and check carefully for leaks. Make sure flue is clear. If the burner is warped, eroded or cracked, then new water heater time.

Rod

Suggestions it could blow up are ridiculous. There are safety devices on these things and literally millions and millions of them in service safely. The suggestion to clean the burner is good. the spider webs or dust can get into the area around the air intake window right next to where the gas orifice is. Check that cold air is not pouring down the flue, it can cause a downdraft and a poof when it lights up. A small whoosh sound doesn't really mean a serious problem that cant be fixed. If it is nearing EOL then just replace it.

With those new water heaters with an FVIR device to cut off air flow if flammable vapors got into the burner cavity and got ignited, you need to have a new gasket on hand if you plan on removing and replacing the pilot/burner/thermocouple assembly for cleaning. A local pluming supply house should have those in stock.

Very rarely do bugs find refuge in a water heater's burner cavity but it's a warm place for them. Check the venting too.

The issue seems to have resolved itself. The only two factors I can think of, except for me tinkering with the wires, is that we caught a mouse in the garage where the water heater is, and the weather has warmed up a little.

Originally Posted by Donald
I would call someone who knows how to fix gas appliances. If its more than 10 yrs old then replace it.

It's the garbage Honeywell gas valve.

Honeywell is 100% pure junk, all across the board. That is one worthless company.

Originally Posted by thooks
Honeywell is 100% pure junk, all across the board. That is one worthless company.

You don't know the half of it. They are one of the suppliers I am forced to work with as a corporate buyer. They are constantly late, do not respond to customer service requests, and make frequent shipping and price errors. Pretty dang horrible.

Originally Posted by DBMaster

You don't know the half of it. They are one of the suppliers I am forced to work with as a corporate buyer. They are constantly late, do not respond to customer service requests, and make frequent shipping and price errors. Pretty dang horrible.

Strange … had an HVAC problem at weekend place … called the tech and he said I could take your money but go to the box store and get only a Honeywell smart thermostat (he texted the model) and that's all you're gonna need …
He was right … do I need a spare ???

The thermostats are probably fine. Much like other electronic items they are made in China and Mexico. I would just avoid the latest and greatest models until at least six months after launch. I've seen issues with several brands other than Honeywell that have issues when they are new models. How many features does a thermostat really need, anyway?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by DBMaster

Strange … had an HVAC problem at weekend place … called the tech and he said I could take your money but go to the box store and get only a Honeywell smart thermostat (he texted the model) and that's all you're gonna need …
He was right … do I need a spare ???

I have multiple units. I don't carry a spare thermostat, if I need it, I buy it. They're not likely to go bad out of the box. If they don't work, it's usually after a few years, they seem to last at least 5-10 years with some basic models you still see around that must be 20-30 years old or more. The more complex they are, the earlier they seem to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back