Gas dryer heat wont stay on more than 5 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whirlpool wgd5560sq0 gas dryer

noticed the automatic dry setting wasn't working and dryer was running 2 hrs later. Clothes were cool and damp.
Unplugged dryer and tried timed mode and auto mode again.
After sitting for 30 mins the burner would work for about 5 mins on both modes.

I initially noticed this after using the High heat setting once, typically just use medium or low heat.

Cleaned the dryer vent, goodness.
Full old Bobby pins and junk.

Read on YouTube that the gas valve solenoid can get cooked and die.

I took them out and tested at room temp with multimeter ,1300 each . Good.
Then a comment on YouTube said to blast them with a hair dryer for a few mins and then check simulating their temp in a hot dryer enclosure.

Sure enough the smaller solenoid had no continuity when heated.
Set arriving today with free same day shipping from Amazon.

My guess is my lack of dryer vent maintenance killed the solenoid, so go clean yours if you haven't this year.

IMAG2348.jpg

IMAG2349.jpg

IMAG2350.jpg

Last edited:
I love my gas dryer built in 1995, it was used on NG for about 20 years then converted to propane when I moved to my current house with no NG. It's amazing how little fuel it uses, a 40# propane cylinder lasts 6-10 months.

Nice troubleshooting.

Always satisfying figuring these things out yourself.

Don't beat yourself up - my dryer looked similar when I pulled it apart a few months ago. I've got a '95 made Kenmore that is actually a Whirpool built unit. It was the first time I've ever had it apart since we owned it (going back to 2005). One maintenance issue in 13 years of ownership on a 23 year old dryer. Can't complain! (Mine was the door switch failed so nothing would ignite as it never sensed the door being closed).

I wouldn't be surprised if the high limit was opening too, from poor airflow causing it to overheat & shut down. I'm perpetually cleaning the ductwork on my gas dryer, I am a little paranoid about starting a fire in it due to excessive lint, one of my best friends growing had it happen & their house nearly burned down.

Always great when you can: fix-it-yourself

Once a year I pull the front off of Dryer and:
1) Clean Fan Blades
2) Vacuum inside of Dryer
3) Clean Exhaust Venting
4) Visual Inspection

...And NEVER use the expanding plastic exhaust ducting if you can avoid it. Any fire will immediately burn it up. They sell long cleaning brushes on amazon

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I love my gas dryer built in 1995, it was used on NG for about 20 years then converted to propane when I moved to my current house with no NG. It's amazing how little fuel it uses, a 40# propane cylinder lasts 6-10 months.

That's unreal!

Do you only dry 1-2 loads a month?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

That's unreal!

Do you only dry 1-2 loads a month?

No, that's the amazing part, all laundry for a household of 2 adults, 1-4 loads a week depending on what we're doing. The minuscule fuel consumption is absurd, in the 5 years I've had this setup I've filled the tank 7 times plus my 20# backup cylinder once. I keep a full or nearly full 20# cylinder as a backup so I don't get stuck with wet clothes I can't dry when the big cylinder goes dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back