What is Honda’s Plan For CR-V and Civic Oil Dilution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I particularly like item 2, the replacement drain plug washer. This clearly will help the ring blowby issue.

More seriously, the software update will probably help. Our F150 2.7L has a very interesting warm up protocol. Both to ensure rapid warm up of the cats and the engine itself. It's clear the cam positions are different during cold warm up along with ignition timing and, likely which injector set is used.

Even so, I suggest that anyone operating a Honda 1.5 turbo perform frequent oil changes and use a quality synthetic. The end result of fuel diluted oil is well known.

Makes sense how they prioritize colder states although Alaska, Montana, and some others probably should be included in the first wave, I'd think. The 2nd wave will be done as parts are available yet "all 2019 CR-Vs will receive the update before leaving dealer's lots". Do they mean CR-Vs in the states in wave 1 and 2 or CR-Vs across the US, i.e. Florida, Texas, California, etc ?

I've been following this too obviously. Wife drives hers a LOT. I haven't had any issues or noticed dilution issues. I know most dealerships offer free engines for life regardless of the Honda warranty, but you got to let them change the oil. Of course as a BITOG'er, that bothered me, but for that piece of mind and not having to worry about it, it's worth the price. OLM on these are running around 6-7K miles from what all I've read. Also read from other forums that the ones that did get the "fix," aren't exactly happy about it. Honda basically changed the CVT software to rev higher and shift higher in order to get those RPM's up to help get that engine warm. That engine, I tell you, is impressive. That car will absolutely fly off the line. Been averaging 32 mpg too.

The owners on CRV forums that have had this "Fix" are not reporting encouraging results. Maybe this will change with time, but Honda seems to have focused on getting the engine to warm up more quickly with higher revs during warm-up, etc. But seeing that owners in warm weather climes have rising sump levels during summer, this hardly seems like a full solution. And on this forum we can see UOAs that, with perhaps a single exception, always show extreme fuel dilution in this engine.

Ford and Chevy seem to be able to design 1.5 TGDI engines without this much of a dilution issue. Don't know why Honda can't do the same. Maybe engine design changes are needed in which Gen 1 1.5T owners will be left stranded while Honda moves on.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I've been following this too obviously. Wife drives hers a LOT. I haven't had any issues or noticed dilution issues. I know most dealerships offer free engines for life regardless of the Honda warranty, but you got to let them change the oil. Of course as a BITOG'er, that bothered me ...

If they offer you free engines for life, who cares what they put in it haha.

5w30 and premium will help a lot

Honda thought they could get away with 0w20 and regular in a turbo. They have very little experience with turbos, and that 1.5T is only the second turbo Honda has ever sold in the US.

Honda relies on heavy fuel dilution to try to combat LSPI

Huh. Something just popped into my head reading the article. What if all of the problems that TGDIs have with short trips is actually a plan to dissuade short-distance driving on ICE and push these people to buy PHEVs and full-EVs? It makes sense considering the CAFE requirements.... make engines that don't survive city life, and steer them to electrics, which in town likely achieve "infinite" CAFE ratings... loads of carbon credits all around, and the customer now has to pay for TWO vehicles!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Huh. Something just popped into my head reading the article. What if all of the problems that TGDIs have with short trips is actually a plan to dissuade short-distance driving on ICE and push these people to buy PHEVs and full-EVs? It makes sense considering the CAFE requirements.... make engines that don't survive city life, and steer them to electrics, which in town likely achieve "infinite" CAFE ratings... loads of carbon credits all around, and the customer now has to pay for TWO vehicles!

I LOVE plausible conspiracy theories. And yours is definitely plausible.

Originally Posted by KalapanaBlack
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

I LOVE plausible conspiracy theories. And yours is definitely plausible.

The price of a parking spot in a city is going to double now if everybody has to have two vehicles!!
Actually, it would probably go up 100-1000X...

Honda has a lot of experience with turbos and automotive engineering.

This is a case where some people made a mistake....plain and simple.

Originally Posted by dblshock
'They have very little experience with turbos'

Whoa!

Originally Posted by nicholas

Not really. The 1.5T is only the second turbo that Honda has ever sold in the US, the first being the RDX turbo from 10 years ago.

The RDX, and the current 1.5T and 2.0T are the only three turbos Honda has ever sold over here. And even in the home market, Honda has only used turbos very sparingly.

A friend of mine owns a 2017 with 31K miles. She brings it to me for service 9-10k miles (she follows the OLM) and the oil level has never risen. However, I did post an UOA on this site where the fuel dilution tested >5%.

We are not receiving the service campaign in CA, at least not for now. However, the software is available countrywide thru the Honda J2534 program. Since I own a J2534 tool, I went ahead and performed the ECM and CVT module updates (along with the required post-programming relearns) myself. At the time of the updates, I also performed an oil-only replacement as specified by the bulletin.

It has been about 700 miles since the update was performed. The car was here yesterday and I was able to get some time with it. Here are some informal observations:

1) The engine oil has no obvious fuel smell and the oil level is exactly where I left it before. However, I have never seen the oil level rise on this particular CRV, even after a 9500 mile oil drain.

2) The Oil Life Monitor (OLM) is down to 90% after 700 moles. This vehicle usually comes in for service at about 9-9.5K with 10% remaining, so I think the OLM is dropping a little bit faster than before.

3) I did not pay attention to the temp gauge until people start complaining about the slow warm-up times, but I did two informal tests after the update to see how long it would take before the coolant temp gauge read normally:

A) ambient temp - 45F. 3 miles and 5 min of constant 45-50 mph cruising.

B) ambient temp - 39F. 1.5 mi and 9 min of stop and go driving with stop lights. Average speed was probably 10-15 mph.

Not sure how this compares to other CR-Vs that have not received the update, but the warm up time seems normal to me.

Screenshot (34).png - CRV 1.png

Screenshot (35).png- CRV2.png

37.JPG - CRV 2.JPG

Screenshot (39).png

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
'They have very little experience with turbos'

Whoa!

Originally Posted by nicholas

Not really. The 1.5T is only the second turbo that Honda has ever sold in the US, the first being the RDX turbo from 10 years ago.

The RDX, and the current 1.5T and 2.0T are the only three turbos Honda has ever sold over here. And even in the home market, Honda has only used turbos very sparingly.

From CART to F1 and INDY...you might find a couple turbo's in here...

HONDA MOTORSPORTS

From CART to F1 and INDY...you might find a couple turbo's in here...
HONDA MOTORSPORTS

Race cars don't have the short tripping low-speed issues that US-market street cars have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back