Slight rust inside Carquest 85522

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a month or two or go I bought a clearance oil filter from Rockauto. The Carquest 85522 is a rebranded Wix 51522 Filter. My oil needs to be changed soon so I took it out to get it ready. I looked inside it and saw what seems to be some surface rust. Its not much, but I think if I decided to scrape it, some rust residue would fall off. The filter was made in 2013 which is a bit old, But I read here that oil filters don't necessarily have a shelf life.

The rust is the black looking thing in the middle, there's also some orange spots close to it.

Can I still use this filter? I know filters are cheap but I was kind of hoping to use it after going through the trouble of ordering it. Everything else seems fine about the filter

[Linked Image]

welcome2.gif

5 years is kind of old for a filter, as rust like you have can form. Most of those Rock Auto closeout filters are old. People on here have gotten filters over 20 years old from RA closeouts
crazy2.gif

Oil filters can last for years if stored under the right conditions. But I still prefer to use a newer-production filter when possible.

RA is short for its at the bottom. Had same issue.I might pay more now,but at least I can see what I am getting beforehand. I would find a replacement locally and be done.

Wouldn't use it ... rust on the clean side, which means any coming off goes into the engine. Rock Auto is a crap shoot ... I never buy there.

The rust is only part of the concern. The rust is going under the plating in the middle tube (Nickel?) and that looks like it is ready to flake off. not likely to cause any major damage but for what you paid for a clearance filter it is not worth the risk. Toss it and buy fresh.

Maybe drop RA a picture and see what they say. You might get lucky.

Not sure why one would take a risk, when you can get a new proselect or super tech filter for 3$. I wouldnt use it.

Won't hurt anything. Run it and don't stress. It won't rust anymore in an oil bath. Fill it with oil and dump it out before installing in case there is anything loose if it makes you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back