Audio Repair Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, a friend of mine recently purchased a '86 Pontiac Fiero with 11k original miles. The only thing wrong with the car is the factory stereo needs repair. Do you know where he can send it to get it reconditioned?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Redright9
Hello, a friend of mine recently purchased a '86 Pontiac Fiero with 11k original miles. The only thing wrong with the car is the factory stereo needs repair. Do you know where he can send it to get it reconditioned?

Thanks.

Years ago there were a couple of local places here in Milwaukee that repaired factory radios but they are long gone - which is probably the case for most of the US. However, there are online places that do the work, Google either "classic" or "vintage" car radio repair. I saw a couple that looked legit.

I'm assuming he wants to keep everything stock as I would think the cost of that repair would likely be more than a replacement, aftermarket head unit ( if that fixes the issue ). I've seen what look to be knock-off replacement factory stereos for GM / Ford / Chrysler vehicles of older vintage but I know nothing about them.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I recommend eBay for a check of replacement radio that is exact fitment before repair.
32 year old car with 11k miles, you won't find anything more worthy of repair than that.

My uncle still drives his 86 Fiero GT, he will not give it up until he can not drive. Then it goes to his son.

Rod

Your Fiero has a 1.5 DIN opening . Get a decent head unit with CarPlay / Android auto, unless you are planning to display the car in car shows. Here is a single DIN Pioneer unit, for example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071X596WM

You will also need a 0.5 DIN cover plate. The screen will partially block your heating/cooling controls but you can retract it to access them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back