GM dealer must install headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Maybe this isn't new but I found it strange, when I inquired about some new headlights for my son's 2008 Chevy Malibu, that if I purchased the headlights, part of the deal was I would have to pay GM to install them.
crazy2.gif

The lights were around $200 hundred a piece with the GM discount but he said he wouldn't sell them to me unless I agreed to have the GM dealership install them for me.
I know, from trying to do the headlights myself, it is a PITA as the whole front grille/bumper of the car has to come off in order to get at them so I know GM will likely charge me at least an hour, maybe more, in order to do them. I believe the shop rate is around $110 to $120 and hour, maybe more?

And GM wonders why people aren't purchasing their cars like they use to!

Anyone else ever heard this before? It's a new one for me.
shocked.gif

Thats not a GM issue but a slimy dealer issue.

Just order them online and install yourself.

For an 11 yr old vehicle I would be looking on E-bay or Amazon for non OEM lamps. Significantly less expensive.
I agree with the other poster, thats a sleazy move.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Thats not a GM issue but a slimy dealer issue.

Just order them online and install yourself.

+1

Originally Posted by irv
The lights were around $200 hundred a piece with the GM discount but he said he wouldn't sell them to me unless I agreed to have the GM dealership install them for me.

Could be slimy dealer, sure. But "with the GM discount" I wonder if there are strings attached there by GM?

Originally Posted by irv
And GM wonders why people aren't purchasing their cars like they use to!

Conversation with the new car salesman goes like this, according to your thinking ?

Shopper: In 10 years, can I buy and install my own headlights ?
Salesman: You can buy them but we have to install them.
Shopper: Sorry, that's a deal-breaker. I'll be buying a (insert any brand other than GM). Bye

Seems pretty silly and far-fetched huh ?

I concur that this is the DEALER trying to soak you. While the dealer does represent GM, he is ultimately in business for himself.

Why would GM care about who installs your headlights? GM profited from your car 10 years ago when it was sold new and GM doesn't see any of the money if you pay your dealer to install them.

FWIW, having to remove the front fascia to replace headlights is becoming industry norm, it's not a GM thing.

Anyway, it's designed to be serviceable and is relatively easy. I replaced both headlight bulbs in the wife's '09 Malibu in 20 minutes with nothing more than a trim remover and a 10mm socket/extension/wrench.

Sorry, should have made myself more clear in my original post. I wasn't planning on purchasing them, I was just there purchasing a steering shaft for the same car so I thought I'd ask how much headlights were while I was there. I am still working on getting a set through a wreckers or some other place but I am not having much luck yet.

Truthfully, the price did surprise me as I thought they would be considerably more but I guess if the dealer "has to" install them, they can afford to sell them a bit cheaper.

Judging by your comments, it seems this isn't the norm but in all honesty, he was reading it right off his computer screen that looked like it came directly from GM?

I will phone around today to see if other dealers are the same, and if not, then I'll know for sure it's this dealers B.S. only.

Thanks guys.
cheers3.gif

You should just do the headlights yourself. You can get a pair of brand new assemblies on Amazon for $100. The bumper isn't that hard to take off or put back on. If you aren't comfortable with it, find a local shop to do it. They should charge about an hour (that's what I charge at my shop) for install.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
You should just do the headlights yourself. You can get a pair of brand new assemblies on Amazon for $100. The bumper isn't that hard to take off or put back on. If you aren't comfortable with it, find a local shop to do it. They should charge about an hour (that's what I charge at my shop) for install.

I'll have to look on Amazon but I have a feeling the shipping fees will kill me if I can't find them in Canada?

I've had the front end of this car off twice now replacing bulbs and trying the fix the fogging issues so I am not afraid of doing the job, I was just wondering if this was the norm from GM dealerships when purchasing new headlight assemblies?

WP_20180906_15_40_58_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180906_15_41_03_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_19_45_05_Pro (2).jpg

Originally Posted by irv
I am still working on getting a set through a wreckers or some other place but I am not having much luck yet.

:

Have you checked car-part.com?

Everything at a dealer is negotiable. You could call other dealers and see if they will ship to you.

I am not one to advocate more laws from the government, but I would love to see a law that said that if I can get a ticket for having a burnt out light, whether it is a headlight, tail/brake light, turn signal, etc., that the manufacturer MUST design the car so that I can replace the bulb on the side of the road with no tools required.

Originally Posted by irv
Sorry, should have made myself more clear in my original post. I wasn't planning on purchasing them, I was just there purchasing a steering shaft for the same car so I thought I'd ask how much headlights were while I was there. I am still working on getting a set through a wreckers or some other place but I am not having much luck yet.
Truthfully, the price did surprise me as I thought they would be considerably more but I guess if the dealer "has to" install them, they can afford to sell them a bit cheaper.
Judging by your comments, it seems this isn't the norm but in all honesty, he was reading it right off his computer screen that looked like it came directly from GM?
I will phone around today to see if other dealers are the same, and if not, then I'll know for sure it's this dealers B.S. only.Thanks guys.
cheers3.gif

Re GM Discount did you or do you work for GM? IF you do it may be a condition of the discount.
OTOH if the installation is so difficult, GM may want to perform it in order to be sure that it be done properly and not have the part come back as faulty
Lastly I'd never trust anything GM says.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brigadier
I am not one to advocate more laws from the government, but I would love to see a law that said that if I can get a ticket for having a burnt out light, whether it is a headlight, tail/brake light, turn signal, etc., that the manufacturer MUST design the car so that I can replace the bulb on the side of the road with no tools required.

A police officer doesn't care how much work is involved but I know with two of our cars, a burned out light won't be replaced within a day or so. On the Fusion, the bumper cover has to come off so while it's off, I'll replace (6) bulbs - 2 x high beam, 2 x low beam, and 2 x fog lights. My G35 uses xenon bulbs which I can't run to Autozone (not stocked) or a dealer ($100+ each) and buy as soon as they're neeed. I'll be buying those off of Amazon and probably replace the fog light bulbs and 'parking lights' at the same time since I'll be jacking the car up, wheels removed, and the wheel well liner will be pulled. Is jacking it up and pulling the wheels necessary ? Nope, but sure will make it easier especially since I've never changed them before and am not real familiar with the layout in there.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Re GM Discount did you or do you work for GM? IF you do it may be a condition of the discount.
OTOH if the installation is so difficult, GM may want to perform it in order to be sure that it be done properly and not have the part come back as faulty
Lastly I'd never trust anything GM says.
I just phoned 2 different dealers, one being OMS (Ontario Motor Sales) here in Oshawa, who I can't believe are still in business as they have been crooks for years and years, and was told $504.00 each!
crazy2.gif

Another dealer, Roy Nicholls Motors, who says they have a dealio about beating the competition, quoted me $172 each with no word of me having to have them installed by them. He had one in stock and said he could have the other one tomorrow. Still going to try the wreckers, but thought you might like to know that.
3 different dealers and 3 different prices/scenarios! Shop around people!

At one point in time, Toyota had to give out 9004 bulbs for the late 1980s Corolla or Tercel since the ones on the aftermarket didn't have precise filament alignment with the headlight and there were labels that said that.

HID lights have all sorts of warning labels to keep most people away.

Try RockAuto...

Don't forget the discount code, look on Retail Me Not or here in the "Product Rebates, Sales, and Promotions" section...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2008,malibu,2.4l+l4,1441621,body,headlamp+assembly,10762

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back