Rickman Metisse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been coming back to this one every day. Love that you can still make one of these...and she did.

http://www.bikebound.com/2018/12/05...rAU1UOGkc1mQshPz-P5ACgakiix3BiJrgmDlZyYA

[Linked Image]

It was my dream too - I used to go to motocross (scrambles) in the late '60's, early '70's, and see the Rickmans...and think, ''I'd like to ride one of those on the street.'' In 1975 I got an old '64 MkIII Metisse and put it on the road, motor was a unit 500 updated to late model specs. I used a conical rear wheel like her's too...a change of sprockets for road and off road. It was my dream bike, and still is, the best handling bike I've ever owned. Out of my reach now.

I made some TT pipes, you can see the (gutted) VW tailpipes coming out before the rear wheel.

scan0021.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, it was very inspirational. I have a couple of old,Triumphs out in the shed. Only obvious thing I'd do different is add disk brakes, even if it wasn't "period correct."

I thought I was the only one that remembered Rickman! They made lots of interesting motor cycle parts. Way ahead of the times.

Another thing she could do with a custom build...a sidestand. Motocross bikes don't have sidestands, so I had to find a powerpole, a tree....or someones car.

I still have a Rickman, or parts of one. It's the 125 Zundapp powered one, a Micro I think they were called. Mine is a little different, it's a military one, and has (had) a radio mount on the tail piece. Steel tank and painted frame. I have known the bike before, and rode it in about 1979...and didn't like it. A few years later I knew a guy who had it, he wanted to fit a 5TA engine and cut the mounts out of it...and then he lost interest. Sometime in the 21st Century I found it on an auction site, and stupidly made a bid to show my interest, and ended up owning a frame, seat and tank. I've got some bikes I could use as donors....for my retirement I thought. But I'm there now, still working, and can't afford the time or money to make something of it.

Rickman Petite.jpg

Hang on to it. Something will come along ... Rickman's are just to cool to toss
laugh.gif

Lemme think, do still have access to the Bultaco 250 hat head ... Or maybe a 175 Hodaka motor
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I have some Honda singles I could use, and a TF100 Suzuki. The 2 stroke Suzuki is so more willing than the gutless Hondas, I'm leaning that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back