UOA places

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which place gives you the most data? From what I've read, TBN and TAN are extra!
What other data is good to have that's not part of standard test?

I did a search and Blackstone and Polaris comes up but that's from 2013.

I have a sample from a gdi engine (10Wx30 M1 EP - 7413 miles) and curious to see if it had more life. Jug says 15K miles and OM says 7500 miles ...
Oil color was very dark brown after 7413 miles.

Do I need to get standard test plus tan, tbn, nitration, oxidation, What else?
Most likely I am going to do this only once and don't mind if I have to pay a little extra to get more useful data!

Thanks

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Which place gives you the most data? From what I've read, TBN and TAN are extra!

I have a sample from a gdi engine (10Wx30 M1 EP - 7413 miles) and curious to see if it had more life. Jug says 15K miles and OM says 7500 miles ...

Most likely I am going to do this only once and don't mind if I have to pay a little extra to get more useful data!

Thanks

Couple of things here.

First, the color means nothing.

Second, the manufacturer interval for change is irrelevant if you're seeking extended drains. It's just the stepping off point.

Third one single UOA isn't really enough to have any trending data for extended use.

When I'm seeking an extended drain I sneak up on my target mileage a few thousand miles at a time, or increase the intervals until the data says to stop, whichever suits my goal. This requires multiple analyses not a single data point.

To that end you'd be best served with an inexpensive Wix kit ($9) with analysis by ALS Labs that includes TBN, versus a Blackstone kit at $35 that contains the same basic information. You can now get 3.5 samples for the price of one.

If you're really hoping to get to 15k OCI, take samples along the way, let the data talk, keep emotions out of it and share your data.

Finally this probably isn't the answer you wanted, but in reality you shouldn't jump from 7500 to 15k based off one UOA no matter how many things it measures.

To that end you'd be best served with an inexpensive Wix kit ($9) with analysis by ALS Labs that includes TBN, versus a Blackstone kit at $35 that contains the same basic information. You can now get 3.5 samples for the price of one.

Where do you get this kit? $9 does that include the kit and the test or just the kit?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake

Where do you get this kit? $9 does that include the kit and the test or just the kit?

Wix 24077, purchase from RockAuto.

Price includes the sample kit analysis and TBN, everything but the postage.

Thanks

NAPA is about the best deal out there. $16 and it includes TBN. Polaris is also good but only reasonable if you by a 10 pack of their tests. I would forget about Blackstone. OAI is a private label of Polaris sold by Amsoil.

Thanks

You realize that some values are really only valid when trending. So a single UOA will be of limited value.

If it's in the $9 or $16 range, I may do more uoa as suggested!
shocked2.gif

I was thinking it will be up in the $40+ range and with that price, I would rather changing the oil instead than getting uoa every time! The car is not that fancy!
grin2.gif

are the quality/accuracy of the less expensive tests as good?
Also what about oxidation/nitration? Does it come with these tests or is it good to have?

So I'm going to do a uoa.
Since I won't understand the results, i will post it here but I rather not to hear you should have got this or that ...

does the basic test plus oxidation, nitration, tbn and tan cover everything needed?
The only thing I care about is how much life is left. that's all.
Don't care about trend, etc.

Thanks

I'm getting some samples done by TestOil in Ohio here pretty soon; I have never had one of their reports but I want to see what they look like and how thorough the test is, and what a basic test includes. I'll post the first ones up in the VOA section, then make a special note in my UOA what lab it was done at.

The $9 test mentioned by Luke sounds pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back