True or false

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
So, i was talking to my brother tonight. He is using M1 10w30HM in his 08' Yukon 6.0 hybrid suv. Someone told him that the M1 10w30HM is the best oil out there hands down. I said "where in gods name did you hear this from; is it a credible source?!"

Is this plausible or a old wives tale?

Back in 1993, I changed the "factory fill" in a Chevy 350 K1500 - at 21,000 miles
shocked2.gif

I put in Mobil 1 10W-30 (HM didn't exist in those days) and a PF35 oil filter.

That guy then drove it over 50,000 miles on the one fill of Mobil 1 10W-30 (he was a computer guy - business was booming)

He did add "whatever name brand oil was at the gas station" (likely Pennzoil YB?) if it needed it, but I don't know how many quarts were added. Probably less than 4 over 50,000

I've been telling this story for years - Mobil 1 10W-30 is decent stuff (or at least it was)

Someone told him that the M1 10w30HM is the best oil out there hands down.

It's only the "best" in the head that thinks it's the best. Doubt the guy who told your brother it was the "best" had any technical info/data to back up his statement.

The "best" is hard to define and it depends on application, and what is required.

It's certainly a very good oil, full synthetic, with Euro ACEA A3 and American API SN Plus specs, and not many oils can claim both.

It would have a low Noack volatility and a high shear stability, both of which I like.

It's a 10W-x, so cold temperature performance below 0F or -20 C would be the issue to some.

Did your brother ever give you his source? If God told him, I would believe him. Other than that, I'd have to vet his informant's credentials with a substantial background check.

Now on the other hand, if you are merely asking if your brother is telling you the truth, I would tend to think someone did tell him what he told you they told him. Or, he is trying to merely justify his position in choosing HM M1 10W30 for his Yukon by saying that someone told him it was the best oil ever made. (The truth is I have used this positional argument a few times in my lifetime trying to justify my own position. "Someone said....") This addition of someone other than himself gives more weight to his choosing M1.

If I had to bet more than $25, I'd say he was merely trying to justify his own decision to use a very good oil. The "someone" was him viewing himself in the third person.

FYI, I have rung Scotty's bell.

I wouldnt believe my brothers source. I have clearance oil that i can use and pay way less for.

I guess marketing sells and amazing what people believe
wink.gif

So, i was talking to my brother tonight. He is using M1 10w30HM in his 08' Yukon 6.0 hybrid suv. Someone told him that the M1 10w30HM is the best oil out there hands down. I said "where in gods name did you hear this from; is it a credible source?!"

Mobil1 HM 10w-30 is a very good oil for vehicles that require that grade. There is no "best". I use it in engines that spec 10w-30. Your brothers is a '08 which is a newer designed engine. In that case I would be using Mobil1 HM 5w-30 (ACEA A5) which it is probably spec'd for.

I like M1 HM 10w-30 because it is a "thick" 30 with HTHS 3.5 and readily available at Walmart.

"Best" is subjective... it's a SN+ 30 grade which means ZDDP is limited to 800 ppm... there are many other oils that have well over 1000 ppm ZDDP that would arguably offer more protection to a hard working engine. My application doesn't need that.

I'd say one of the best for sure.. It's a very robust 10w30. A3/B3 too.

With it being a high mileage oil, it's good for seal conditioning too. Ran it in my Jeep and it stopped the RMS leak in under an OCI's use.

Last edited:
False, no such thing as best, since oils are formulated for different requirements.

I wouldn't run M1 HM 10w30 in a car requiring 0w20 for example, or a diesel truck requiring 15w40. Sure, it's a good oil, but different applications spec different oils.

It's like asking which tire is the best.

I think where that belief came from the fact that the PRIOR formula of Mobil 1 HM had a lot more ZDDP and the hotrod and racing community was using it. This was when the other oils were cutting back on ZDDP. I was using it for that reason in my older flat tapper vehicles. Now, the HM has the same low level as the rest of the M1 line so it's no longer as good as it was for the ZDDP performance. I think the reformulation was 2-3 years ago or so.

I wouldnt believe my brothers source. I have clearance oil that i can use and pay way less for.

I guess marketing sells and amazing what people believe
wink.gif

This!

All I'm saying is i want to know who in hades told him and why he believed it

I guess marketing sells product
wink.gif

Of course it does. Why else have a marketing dept ...

I was taught from a early age to not believe everything you hear or read. Trust but verify.

By the way, did you hear it's 75 degrees and balmy in Sitka AK today?

I try to avoid these types of conversations. If asked, I just nod and change the subject.

It's like a good friend I know who is a die hard GM fan. He has mentioned more than once that his current Chevy pickup is his favorite truck yet when he starts it the piston slapping can be heard for a block or so.

As The Critic just said, I say nothing and just nod my head.

AND … they can piston slap for a 400k engine life on Mobil super bulk dino and MO cheap filters …
seen that and heard that …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back