HM oil choices: 09' Camry with 145k on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dieselpwr
I have used Mobile1 5W30 on my 2004 Honday Accord for last 2 years. I have 145k Miles on it. I started using it when my rear main seal was leaking. Using HM fixed the issue and I continues using it since then. My car is bone dry from bottom now.

I have no other reason to try any other brand since this worked. Also, it is always available at my Local Walmart for $26 /5 Qt Jug.

Yeah, i didnt see M1 5w30 HM at my wal mart. Debated nabbing M1 10W40 or 30 HM though

We shall see what ST HM Syn 5w30 does

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Isn't PP "supposed" to be a legendary "cleaning" oil (from what I've read here)? Maybe give PPHM 30W a try.

As you stated, PP is often regarded as an excellent detergent oil. I had switched to PPHM and, following a discussion last year, I emailed Pennzoil about PPHM's cleaning abilities. The rep indicated that PPHM does not have the detergent properties of PP. I found this strange, given that their site states that PP (and PPHM) keep engines up to 20% cleaner. Cleaner than what, I don't know...

I've used Auto-Rx in two cars with good results.

1 - 2001 Toyota V6 Camry (covered by extended sludge warranty). Stopped a ticking sound (lifters?) twice since I've owned it. Between 1st and 2nd treatment only ran M1 3K - 5K intervals. about 60K between treatments. Both due to the ticking sound. Now only use Maxlife and noise has not returned. Should have returned based on previous interval. 190K runs strong and no noise. Does not use oil.

2 - 2007 Honda Accord V4. bought used and stopped what seemed to be noisy valve train or timing chain. Now super quiet. 99K. Does not use oil.

IMHO - Motor oils, especially Synthetic or Part Synthetic, since '13 are much better and don't seem to leave deposits. Not like before. Engine design got ahead of oils for a time (running hotter and more deposit unfriendly) but oil has caught up. At least for non-turbos. I don't think I'll have a need to use Auto-Rx again but still have bottles bought a few years ago just in case. I have the impression that the Maxlife I use today is better at keeping an engine clean (as would a full synth) than M1 from the late 2000's

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Insertcoolname
I have an 04 2az-fe with 209k miles
Mostly highway....I try a lot of oils depending on what I can get cheapest.

I burn about 1.5 qts in 5,000 miles with valvoline maxlife 10w30 API SN RC

I burn about 1 quart in 5k miles with Quaker State High Mileage 10w30 API SN RC

...Burn about 2 quarts in 5 k with pennzoil platinum 10w30 API SN RC

But the oils I had the LEAST consumption was...

Mobil 1 high mileage 10w30 API SN/SM
&
Quaker state UD Full Syn 5w30 API SN RC

Both of the above mentioned burned less than 1/2 a quart in 5k miles

Hope that helps...

I got a '07 Scion tC with a 2AZ-FE as well and posted asking about the oil consumption remedies. I noticed too that when I use PP in either 5W-20/0W-20 that u burn roughly 1.5 to 2 qts of oil at 5K intervals. I did a Seafoam treatment in the crankcase at the beginning of the year but didn't drive much due to deployment. I also switch to Valvoline FS w/Maxlife 0W-20 and so far haven't burned any oil. I'll keep monitoring the condition because I've been upset that Toyota dropped the ball on this one and I've literally tried to baby this engine since owning the car new back in '06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back