HVAC-Evaporator Coil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 12-year old Carrier HVAC system. Puron based and gas heat, if that matters.

My question is how to keep the evaporator coil (I know it as an "A" coil) sanitized. The coil is only two years old and unlike the OEM coil, is aluminum and not comprised of three different metals, hence more resistant to rust.

The immediate option is to install a UV light to prevent any mold and keep the coil sanitized. An even more expensive option is to place a UV light in the return air ductwork near the system.

I see a lot of "cleaners" online for coils, but I don't think that solves the issue of sanitizing.

Any HVAC experts care to comment?

Thanks!

I have lung issues. (Start of COPD) and have a UV bulb installed on the intake of the furnace and I run MERV-11 rated filters. I cut an access point just above my "A" coil for maintenance and so far 6 seasons it's spotlessly clean with no dust and no mold. My "A" coil is all aluminum.

Last edited:
I was raised in a "Blue Cloud" being a kid in the 1980's with both parents that were smokers and all my relatives smoked as well, I smoked about 20 years ago in high-school (was the "in thing" to do), and I had Asthma as a kid that got worse with smoking. I also live in an area with lots of steel blast furnaces that create a lot of crap in the air. So much so that it leaves a nice grey soot on everything like window sills / vehicles etc. It's really not good air and has me changing my furnace filters monthly because they turn dark grey.

I've always had terrible lungs and none of this helped and so I have COPD that I was diagnosed with the onset of a couple years ago. Hence the diet, and loosing all the weight etc. Oh and because of my bad back.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I use tuff stuff cleaner for my coils. I'm not sure what you mean by sanitizing. They will never be sterile, few things are. As long as the pan drains properly there should not be a issue. The condensation constantly rinses the coils. Removing the lint with the coil cleaner keeps things from growing on the coil. I would focus more on the pan draining well.

You can put a light on the coil, but can you put one on every return and outlet? You still will have a wet drain pipe. Keep it clean , yes, sterile, no.

Last edited:
Best thing you can do is run good filters. If you don't have a media cabinet style filter setup get one. They take the bigger 4" filters. Common size being 16x25x4 and 20x25x4.

UV lights won't keep your coil clean. Good filtration will keep the coil cleaner than any UV light.

If you have the standard 1" filter just use a mid grade filter. Trying to use the high merv filters will result in to much restriction and be bad for the system. That's why I suggest the media cabinet. You can run the high merv filters without causing to much restriction.

Originally Posted by dkryan
I have a 12-year old Carrier HVAC system. Puron based and gas heat, if that matters.

My question is how to keep the evaporator coil (I know it as an "A" coil) sanitized. The coil is only two years old and unlike the OEM coil, is aluminum and not comprised of three different metals, hence more resistant to rust.

The immediate option is to install a UV light to prevent any mold and keep the coil sanitized. An even more expensive option is to place a UV light in the return air ductwork near the system.

I see a lot of "cleaners" online for coils, but I don't think that solves the issue of sanitizing.

Any HVAC experts care to comment?

Thanks!

It's a fools errand. Mold is nothing to worry about. Just buy the best filter which offers the least pressure drop OR you can buy really efficient filters which cause a higher pressure drop but offset that pressure drop by increasing the size of the return.

For example, A 4'x4' high efficiency filter might perform the same as a 2'x2' low efficiency filter.

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/unintended-consequences-high-merv-filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back