Atlas Pinnacle Pristine shingles

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are planning on having our roof replaced early January 2019. The shingles I was going to have them use are Atlas Pinnacle Pristine. Do any of you have anything to say about this line? They are dimensional shingles. The contractor states a synthetic felt underlayment will be installed, and I am having them install ridge vents as well. The house currently does not have ridge vents.

Originally Posted by JC1
Never heard of that brand. How long have they been around? Did you do any research about them and their long term quality?

I have tried, doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there. Sounds like they have one of the best warranties. They also have "lifetime" (50) year protection against fungus. They are supposedly copper coated.

I had GAF shingles put on the previous house I lived in that contain copper granules in them to help prevent algae. They have a 130 MPH rating; the MPH rating is something to consider in Florida.
Those shingles were more expensive.
The roofing company stated they would use X amount of nails per shingle, cant remember and they don't staple shingles on. Ask the installer questions before they do any work.

Never used them. Have used GAF on both my houses. One is at 6 years and the other is at 3 years. Both look brand new. Both are 50 year rated architectural shingles (although they never last that long).

Here is what the one house looks like with them installed. (6 years old)

Our House 2.jpg

Originally Posted by StevieC
Never used them. Have used GAF on both my houses. One is at 6 years and the other is at 3 years. Both look brand new. Both are 50 year rated architectural shingles (although they never last that long).

Looks good! Funny, of the little I have read GAF has come up again and again for being notoriously poor quality. I am not saying they are, I have no experience personally. Just what I have read.

Really? I heard that about IKO but not GAF. Maybe a bad batch?

Also if you want a closer up shot I can do that tomorrow... They really do like they were put on yesterday. I get very little grit in the gutters.

Last edited:
Really? I heard that about IKO but not GAF. Maybe a bad batch?

Also if you want a closer up shot I can do that tomorrow... They really do like they were put on yesterday. I get very little grit in the gutters.

It seems like every manufacturer has had bad batches. From my short bit of research, I find general bad reviews on every brand. Not many people saying good things about any shingle manufacturer. It's making it difficult to determine what is good and what isn't.

Originally Posted by gregk24

Looks good! Funny, of the little I have read GAF has come up again and again for being notoriously poor quality. I am not saying they are, I have no experience personally. Just what I have read.

GAF is one of the biggest names out there so you're bound to find more problems with them than other brands just because of the volume. But if you read their warranty, it varies depending on the type of material used and who installed it. I think you only get the full lifetime if you had a certified installer do it and use GAF materials for underlayment and starter strips etc.

As for the lifetime of those architectural shingles, I think the jury is still out, I think they've only been out around 15-20 years, at least around here. Three tab shingles used to be popular before that. I've seen a few roofs where the shingles were installed 10-12 years ago and they still look like they're new. You can tell there's some wear on a 3 tab shingle when they're 10 years old.

Originally Posted by gregk24

I had my roof replaced this summer and did quite a bit of research. Read about both GAF and Owens Corning being bad. The both sell millions of shingles a year, normally only the people with problems complain online. Additionally, roofs failing after a short amount of time is very rare. As discussed above, the warranty usually covers very little and lifetime doesn't mean lifetime. Most of the warranty replacement only provide the materials and no labor which is over 50% of the cost.

Do a search for 'Atlas Chalet' shingles. Yes, it is a different 'line' of shingles, but this is the type of company you're looking at.

They're good shingles, I sold these back when I worked at a building supply. Our main sellers were GAF and IKO, but on higher end homes we would special order them. I've seen a variety of installs and they all looked good. Can't speak for long term, but from what I've seen it seems to be a good product.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Do a search for 'Atlas Chalet' shingles. Yes, it is a different 'line' of shingles, but this is the type of company you're looking at.

Did Atlas handle their class action lawsuit differently than Owens Corning, GAF, IKO, Certainteed, Tamko,...........?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back