to buy or not to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking to purchase a 2016 jeep wrangler, with a manual trans, basic jeep. I do not have any service records. Any reason not to buy

I'm sure the nearest Jeep dealership will be glad to check the vehicle over along with its service records for a fee (and the added business to execute any necessary repairs)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Wranglers hold their value. What's the price difference between a new one accounting for rebates and discounts?

I plan on taking it to a dealer for an evaluation. I was told by a jeep dealer that service records are not available across dealerships

the sticker on the jeep is $29,000 a plain basic jeep and a Ford dealer is asking $26100 for it

You could do better. However, I can't see it and it may be very well be worth it to you. I'm not a Jeep man but would be willing to go for a so so deal for some cars or trucks, especially if passing a thorough inspection.

Originally Posted by briggyman
the sticker on the jeep is $29,000 a plain basic jeep and a Ford dealer is asking $26100 for it
Take it to a Jeep dealership and talk to them about it? Maybe they can make you a better offer. Base model manual transmissions are probably not the most desirous model, perhaps you can play them against each other. You might as well if you are there for the inspection!

You can get a new one for close to $26000. Also FCA will have service records of it was dealer maintained.

Originally Posted by dave1251

You can get a new one for close to $26000. Also FCA will have service records of it was dealer maintained.

Exactly; if the dealer can't provide FCA service records then the dealer is the problem.

Originally Posted by eljefino
So 3 years off its life for 10% less?

Of course mileage plays in, but that was my thought too. Sticker price is not invoice/sale price, and it seems like there is opportunity to do better. I know Jeeps hold their value, and may not "lose 30% the second you drive off he lot", but it seems like a low discount.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
eljefino said:
know Jeeps hold their value, and may not "lose 30% the second you drive off he lot", but it seems like a low discount.
Everyone wants bells and whistles, no one wants a car with a third pedal and no touchscreen. This seems like a car that they took in on trade in and got at a huge discount already.

I have a feeling those stripped models sell to cheapskates who get sick of them and trade them in for something more...contemporary. I've seen a lot of crew cab trucks with no options, which would have been unheard of a decade ago. My friend bought a Ram like that, because it was 25% off MSRP with 0% financing. I assume they are a lot easier to sell when they are brand new with no options and great financing than a few years old with no options priced at a few thousand less than brand new.

If you can't afford the $3000,00 more to buy the new one don't buy the used one

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Take it to a Jeep dealership and talk to them about it? Maybe they can make you a better offer. Base model manual transmissions are probably not the most desirous model, perhaps you can play them against each other. You might as well if you are there for the inspection!

Believe it or not manual transmission Jeeps around here are hot sellers. It doesn't matter that it's a base model, people want the manual. Now I don't know what part of PA the OP is in, but there is a couple dealerships around here selling new mid level 2018's for only a couple K more as that used one. They are automatic though, but it would be a new model with full warranty.

Originally Posted by CT8
If you can't afford the $3000,00 more to buy the new one don't buy the used one

+3
For the price difference you are FAR better off buying a new one with a new warranty, known service history (going forward, of course), and low interest financing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back