floor jack recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I have HF 3 ton, Craftsman 3 ton. Both 2 years old, Both under $100. more times than not I reach for the Craftsman. Because the HF seems kind of tight to release under heavy load of the truck. Like its binding. Craftsman also rolls around better.

thanks this is why i asked about the release, for me, it has to be smooth when your letting down a car or truck....

thanks to all great info to ponder

Last edited:
I have a Craftsman 3 ton jack for well over 30 years and it is still working fine. I bought a HF 4 ton jack about 2 years ago. It is a beast. It is very heavy, but well made. The Craftsman jack doesn't get used as much any more. It will only come out for tire rotations or when I'm working on two cars.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Yep, from the guy who has a ton of Snap-On tools, the HF floor jacks are hard to beat.
I especially like the small aluminum model, as I can easily throw it in the pickup bed or car trunk.
I have 3...
I also have the aluminum one form Costco; dang thing is the worst jack I have (5 total).
It leaks...

I have to agree. There just isn’t much of a domestic Jack capacity anymore. Apparently the snap-on jack is the same as the HF yellow Daytona jack, fwiw.

The HF aluminum jack just can’t be beat for a diy user. I would get the best jack stands I could, but the HF jacks seem to rule
the roost.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
They don't make em like that anymore, cousin has a 3 ton that couldn't hold its' own weight after < a couple years.

They still do.

Oh I'm sure someone still does, I was referring to Craftsman branded 3 ton jack specifically.

My three ton Craftsman jack leaks down 75% of the times I use it. Every once in a while it hold perfectly. I've tried bleeding it, replacing the fluid, it does not have any external leaks...

I'm just getting another HF jack.

The Harbor Freight 3T Daytona is the main workhorse at home, but I also have an older aluminum 1.5T Torin Big Red I got years ago from Pepboys... works well for smaller stuff and taking for road repairs, tracks days, etc... However it did start leaking and I put some new seals in.

At our shop we had a Napa 3.5T (semi-low profile) that never let us down.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I recently bought that yellow three ton Daytona jack from HF and every time I use it I like it more. I just saw a coupon for it in the current issue of Hot Rod to get it for 179 instead of 199. I might go get another one so I can rotate tires in record time.

Could do that with the little aluminum ones much easier.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
i can't say on the harbor freight ones, but i picked up an aluminum 1.5 ton at a TSC store and it has an easily detachable handle via a push button and pull apart type.

I did the same a couple of years ago and love this jack. It is easy to move and store and the price was right. Highly recommend it or a two ton equivalent.

Originally Posted By: CDX825
I'm not real happy with the harbor freight jack I have. It struggles to lift things and leaks down after sitting for awhile.

If you haven't bled it, try that. Mine would leak down when new. I bled it per the instructions. It's been rock solid for four years.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I really don't think you can go wrong with Harbor Freight jacks. They're quality items, and mine is going strong for over 4 years now, having lifted everything I've ever slid it under. Doesn't leak a drop.

They are hit or miss,I have one HF jack for 20 years now
it leaks but it works...I had several Sears jacks and all
died in less than a year..I have a few Alum jacks,again
all hit or miss

Originally Posted by MNgopher
I've been using an Arcan 3.5 ton low profile jack from Northern Tool for many years now with no complaints. They are still available at a good price and take a look a the reviews. Not many things with over 200 reviews that have a 4.8/5 star rating...

I just bought one of these too to upgrade over my 6+ yr old HF 2.5 ton jack. My only complaint is there's no foam on the handle bar to soften accidental bashes on the vehicle. Nothing a pool noodle can't fix.

Not to bash on the HF jack tho. It still works. Periodical fluid changes and greasing over the years. I just needed a higher capacity and higher lift as my vehicles have changed from coupes and sedans to SUV's now.

I have a Sears 3 ton floor jack that has to be over 35 years old which still works flawlessly. I also have a 4 ton HF jack that is great, but is very heavy if matters to you or not.

At my house I recently got the hybrid aluminum/steel jack from Costco, so far I like it. I have used jacks from NAPA and heard a lot of great things about them as well. I would recommend though, go to a couple tire shops and see what they use and abuse all day, get the techs feedback.

after a lot of research, I got the 3 ton Arcan from Costco. I'm happy with my choice.

I'm cheap, so Harbor Freight would have been my next choice. just read the reviews and keep your receipt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back