Strange tire failure - w picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a mid-afternoon stop for about an hour earlier today, we came out to find a flat tire. I quick check showed no evidence of a puncture in the tread or outside sidewall. I put on the spare and after I got it home to air it back up I found that it is rapidly loosing air from this tiny crack - near the end of my pocket screwdriver. As you can see from comparing the size with the nearby sipes, it is hardly noticeable (that is why I've marked it with all the chalk)

The tire was made in late 2016 and has about 12,000 miles with most of it's life being on the rear of the front wheel drive car. It's the Goodyear Viva 3 in a 70-series aspect ratio and I'll be taking it in tomorrow to see if it's covered under the "road hazard" warranty that I purchased.

Is this simply because of the thin, single ply sidewall; or some type of construction issue at the belt / sidewall interface ? I've never seen anything like this one.

PC100001.JPG

Last edited:
Another perfectly good tire ruined that discount tire won't touch. Glad it doesn't only happen to me. Those tires look pretty new. It does look like it was driven on when it was pretty low cause you can see tread wear about 1/4'' up the side of the tread and you shouldn't see that.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Another perfectly good tire ruined that discount tire won't touch. Glad it doesn't only happen to me. Those tires look pretty new. It does look like it was driven on when it was pretty low cause you can see tread wear about 1/4'' up the side of the tread and you shouldn't see that.

Really?!?
Would you patch a puncture in a side wall like this???

I definitely consider this a no-go zone.
Please educate me on this one!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

Did the OP say he bought these at DT and then edited that part out?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
[
Did the OP say he bought these at DT and then edited that part out?

No, these are the Goodyear Viva 3 that were purchased and are sold new at Wal-mart. I'll update the thread after I take the tire in tomorrow.

Maybe it was some type of puncture but it's so far up from the tread area that I thought it was unlikely, and it is on the inside of the tire.

Last edited:
I went and took a real close up and can see more detail than with my old eyes. It does look more like some type of slice or puncture that could have been from something on the roadway. I'm sure those that work in a tire shop have seen many unusual examples but this one is a first for me. It had to go completely through that sidewall and just above the protective steel belts.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

PC100009.JPG

Last edited:
Buy all my tires from Honda direct. A flat anywhere on the tire for first year is fixed/replaced free at any dealership. Second year is retro'd. I buy new tires every year so if I get a spare one same brand then I throw in trunk and save as I dont like donut tires.

You'll be ok but for anyone reading, some road hazzard fine print doesn't cover outter sidewall punctures.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
You'll be ok but for anyone reading, some road hazzard fine print doesn't cover outter sidewall punctures.

Maybe not relatable but I got tires from our chain Canadian Tire up here and they did agree to replace the tire on prorated basis. So possible walmart might do the same.

Costco won't cover them if it looks like vandalism - which happened to me.

Originally Posted by Rolla07

Maybe not relatable but I got tires from our chain Canadian Tire up here and they did agree to replace the tire on prorated basis. So possible walmart might do the same.

You are correct. Walmart did replace this tire today on the prorated basis of 7/32nd remaining tread life.

Originally Posted by Cressida
Originally Posted by Rolla07

You are correct. Walmart did replace this tire today on the prorated basis of 7/32nd remaining tread life.

Glad you were able to get the tire replaced, road hazard warranty is a gamble but on expensive tires it's usually something I buy. Tires under $100 each I usually don't bother unless the road hazard warranty is cheap like at Walmart where I think it was only $10 per tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back