non-contact voltage tester beeps near table lamp that's on dimmer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a dumb question... the voltage (as in title) tester beeps near (about a foot) a table light that is on a Lutron dimmer switch when the light is on. Nothing when it's off.
I also found that the tester beeps when I get near a fluorescent lighting fixture (4 ft tubes). Is it normal? esp for the dimmer switch.

PS. the table lamp plug only has a hot and neutral wire, it's a 2-prong plug.

Last edited:
No, it shouldn't start beeping until you are within 2" or closer. Must be defective. I have had 4 of them, 2 different brands, 3 different models.

See if it still beeps if you are touching the lamp? They will give false readings due to some weird capacitance readings if you aren't touching the fixture. It's common for something to read hot that has no power, touching it removes the residual charge and the beepers read properly. They're finicky little buggers and should only be used as a first check, always verify with other methods that power is actually shut off.

Originally Posted by E150GT
I would never trust one of those.

They can be helpful , but be ware their limitations . Do not gamble your life on one . Always use a true contact voltage tester to be sure .

Same here though I have a Fluke voltage tester, I always use my multimeter to check for voltage as well.

Being in the electrical sales profession I remember walking with a customer to the back yard area of the warehouse to get some pipe. It was a wet damp day. As we were walking all of a sudden my customer started beeping. His fluke in his pocket was picking up electricity. I guess since we were about 50 feet from power lines at the edge of the property.

Being in the electrical sales profession I remember walking with a customer to the back yard area of the warehouse to get some pipe. It was a wet damp day. As we were walking all of a sudden my customer started beeping. His fluke in his pocket was picking up electricity. I guess since we were about 50 feet from power lines at the edge of the property.

Wow!

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Lots of electricians do. I'd rather a million false positives than a single false negative.

Not if they are smart. One false negative is to many and it happens a lot.

Dimmers are horrible sources of RF noise. They're ok when new but go bad while still appearing to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back