Genuine VW oil filter cut open 10,200 mi 2015 VW Tiguan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just removed this from a coworkers 2015 VW Tiguan with the 2.0 TSI engine. Filter and oil had 10,200 miles on them at the time of service. Vehicle had 25,600 miles on it at the time of service. New oil in was Castrol 0w40 VW 502.0 and a Hengst H14W30 filter. Man these filters are expensive, but the Hengst was only $2 more than a Fram PH10600 so I opted to use the Hengst for the moderate difference in price.

Enjoy.

20181209_161851.jpg

20181209_161903.jpg

20181209_161912.jpg

20181209_161916.jpg

20181209_161924.jpg

20181209_161930.jpg

20181209_161939.jpg

20181209_162010.jpg

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Looks good and what's the yellow stuff in 3rd to last pic?

I'm not seeing what you're asking about but to the naked eye nothing was abnormal. It actually looked really clean for the miles. I was surprised.

Originally Posted by PimTac
A very solid looking filter.

I was impressed by the filter as well. The dealership omitting 4 of the 11 splash shield bolts not so much. But the filter looked good!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Ohh i see. Thanks Luke and media and whole filter looks good
smile.gif

Thanks for c&p

You're welcome! I had to cut the dome end off to open it up and I wasn't sure it was even going to work. But it worked out well so I figured I'd share!

The cars in my signature take the same oil filter. It is $12.14 at my local VW dealer for that filter.
The male thread stayed in the block on me twice, making a mess, so I switched to using Mahle.

Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

My choice for this application would be the M1-404A because the price is about the same but is good for 20k miles. This is one of those cars where I would only change the filter every other OCI because the filters are so expensive
mad.gif

The Fram Ultra is over $30, maybe you could get one of those and replace it every 5 years! Even from Rock Auto it's over $25

You can get a case of 12 Frams on eBay for $60, so it's $5 each, or there's this cheap Super Auto filter for $55/case, with an option to submit a best offer to make the price even less. If they take $48 for the case, then that is a good deal since that would be $4/filter.

AAP and Autozone price the M1-404 like all other M1 spin-on cans, so they are included in the oil change deals for the same price. The best thing to do is get the M1 oil + M1 filter deal at AAP with the M1-404
smile.gif

There is a Purolator Boss available for this engine, but Purolator isn't known for their quality, and the boss has ADBV tearing problems. Otherwise, AAP has it for $16.99 regular price (half the price of the Fram Ultra), and with a promo code, you can get it for even less. It is frequently included in AAP's oil change deals, too.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The cars in my signature take the same oil filter. It is $12.14 at my local VW dealer for that filter.
The male thread stayed in the block on me twice, making a mess, so I switched to using Mahle.

The Hengst was on sale at the local Napa for $14.99 + tax making it $5 less than a Napa Gold at $19.99. The PH10600 was $14.99 with no tax on base. I didn't even price Mahle or a Fram TG/XG, the Hengst was good enough for me. The oil was purchased dirt cheap on an Amazon price drop about a year ago. Luckily for me I guess the male thread came out with the filter. I highly doubt I could've purchased the filter at the dealer for less than I paid for the Hengst locally. My total investment in the service was about $29. Reset the oil monitor for another 10k.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
This is one of those cars where I would only change the filter every other OCI because the filters are so expensive
mad.gif

The local Walmart stores had dozens of these in the Fram orange can version for only $1.00 each... for months and months.

Nobody wanted them.

Originally Posted by Linctex
The local Walmart stores had dozens of these in the Fram orange can version for only $1.00 each... for months and months.

Nobody wanted them.

Yeah, the ones where scum shoplifters put Ultras in the orange can boxes

Of course, it also depends on the region and even the specific store.

Originally Posted by WellOiled
Top notch C&P!!! Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup2.gif

Agreed. Perfect looking filter!!! This is how they should *all* look!! Perfect pleating, ridges between pleats, nice pleating around the seam. Thanks!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Linctex

Nobody wanted them.

Yeah, the ones where scum shoplifters put Ultras in the orange can boxes.

Nope..... just plain PH10600's..... nobody drives VW's around here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back