Alfa Stelvio first thoughts +pics

I thought it best to start a new thread for initial impressions/pics. I'm just going to do this statement +/- style. I ended up with a TI Sport, for those wondering.

What isn't "right" (-)
*Seating position feels a bit "tall" for me. This must be an FCA thing, as I feel the same with my 500...the drivers seat just won't go low enough. My wife loves this.
*I don't like that the main infotainment screen is not touchscreen...again, my wife loves this as she hates fingerprints on the screen
*I don't like the "matte" finish of the infotainment screen
*Key fob is HUGE
*Visors are cheap looking and feeling
*I sprung for the premium sound system (Harman Kardon), same as we had in the ML350, but it's not as good as the one in the Benz
*SatNav is junk...not that we use it, but it's junk
*Any drive mode other than "Dynamic" would take some getting used to. Throttle response is delayed, and steering is way to light for how fast it is. The ONLY proper way to drive this car is in "Dynamic" mode.
*Still not sure about the transmission...nothing to nitpick yet, but I notice it...I will say the shifts are VERY quick. I think I read 200 msec.
*Start/stop is a bit herky jerky and could use some improvement

What is "Right" (+)
*This is the MOST FUN and ENGAGING SUV I have ever driven in my life. The X3 with full on sport package (staggered wheel sizes and the whole bit) was just "ok" to drive as an SUV. The X3 was tolerable...the ML350 was abysmal to drive...just YUCK from a driving fun perspective. This Alfa is mind blowing. If it were a sedan, it would be a d@mn good one, but then you look in the rearview mirror and are almost shocked to see how long and how big this car is...just mind blowingly amazing!
*The shocks in sport mode are wonderful!! Tight, yet compliant. When I started the test drive I remember bracing for a pot hole and was just lost when she sailed soaked it up like butter.
*The power is addictive. Point and shoot works well. In dynamic mode, turbo lag isn't bad, and she will straight rocket away from a stop.
*Interior is gorgeous! I don't know what the reviews are thinking...this is NOT a techno nerds dream, but instead a refined and classy interior. You immediately realize this car is not your "high end Accord " as soon as you sit down. I love the simplicity, cleanness, and execution of the interior.
*Just D@MN sexy for an SUV
*The color is beautiful! This is honestly one of the points that got me. Long story, but my bide's X3 she loved so much was almost the exact same color. She hated it when we originally bought it, but ended up being one of her favorite aspects of the car. She loves the new color!
*The Chocolate leather is really quite stunning

So what sealed the deal? It checked all the boxes for an SUV that I knew my bride would love. The color, the interior, the ride, the power...I knew she would love it. The best part is she loved it even more than I thought. She has already told me this is her most favorite car of all time.

Personally...it was the handling. I have NEVER driven a more composed, dynamic and responsive SUV in my life. If I had not previously owned a heavily modified Miata, and now a heavily modified 500 Abarth, I could say this is the BEST handling car I have ever driven. Just WOW.

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

ah yes...still not sure about the brakes either. They are "brake by wire". It is pretty cool that when you jump on them and the ABS kicks in, you don't feel it in the pedal. What is not cool is that they don't feel very linear...and it seems with constant pressure, the braking force changes. I won't have a final thought on this until we get a few thousand miles on her, and they are broken in.

Nice looking ride I just wish they would change the grill. It seems like most A.R. have that same type of grill

Cool SUV. What about long term reliability? Are you planning to keep it past the warranty? Hopefully you enjoy the suv.

Beautiful! As for the brakes, I want to feel the pedal vibrate when the ABS kicks in; it provides an additional bit of data about road conditions.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Nice wheels, horrible wheel gap. Needs coilovers or lowering springs!

I don't care...I am not touching the suspension on this one. I don't want to mess it up!

Originally Posted by MCompact
Beautiful! As for the brakes, I want to feel the pedal vibrate when the ABS kicks in; it provides an additional bit of data about road conditions.

Oh, you can still "feel" the car shudder when the ABS pump activates, its not like you don't know. You just don;t get that rock hard pulsing pedal feeling.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Very cool. Congrats!

Have you looked at the Macan for comparison?

No...
Not a fan of the Porsche styling. I don't like the Porsche interior - especially the clock in the center of the dash and the center console. The deals on 2018 Alfa's are amazing right now, and I would rather buy a "loaded" Alfa and stay in budget, vs. trying to figure what I can live without on the Porsche and stay in budget.

I like it. I would like to drive one as a potential replacement for my aging Infiniti FX. I'm looking for a sporty SUV that will actually outhandle most sports sedans, there are only a few options.

Super handsome car! I have to concur with you on the seating position thing as that was one issue I always had with my 500, always felt like I was sitting on a perch. Hope you have a good dealer near you as you will probably be there quite a bit if you didn't get one of the the good ones. My 500 was a dumpster fire and my closest dealership was a dumpster fire with rotting meat feeding said fire........made for a miserable ownership experience.

Back