Mileage or Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just change oil and filter every 10,000km, regardless of time. If that ends up taking you 2 years, it won't be a problem. No need to overthink it.

Driving only 10 miles a day is hard on oil; it collects condensation. I'd change it every six months OR take the vehicle out once a week and drive it on the freeway for 30 minutes to get the oil up to operating temp. Then you could change it every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by code5coupe
Driving only 10 miles a day is hard on oil; it collects condensation. I'd change it every six months OR take the vehicle out once a week and drive it on the freeway for 30 minutes to get the oil up to operating temp. Then you could change it every 5000 miles.

I do get get 2-3 freeway runs a month. About 30-40 mins drive around 30 Miles

Originally Posted by hpb
Just change oil and filter every 10,000km, regardless of time. If that ends up taking you 2 years, it won't be a problem. No need to overthink it.

2 years? Wow.... need more people to chime in before I try this! Is it really true that oil doesn't wear watches?

Originally Posted by kawie_guy
Get a tbn done on your used oil. That'll give you some idea of what your conditions are doing to your oil (both sitting and being run) so you can adjust your intervals accordingly.

In Singapore, it's difficult to get TBN tested

Originally Posted by Onetor
Oil does not know time. 18 months (aforementioned) is a great idea! Are you able to get Used Oil Analysis? Make sure you use a good air filter and a good oil filter.

It's difficult and expensive to do it in Singapore.. One oil test is almost equal to 2 oil changes!

The oil may reach operating temps and that is great. But the important question is, how long does it stay there? Condensation just starts to evaporate when the oil gets hot, so if it doesn't stay hot then it's not really doing much good. Having said this, the OP's drive cycle is better than truly short trips.

I say change it every year regardless of mileage.

I might lean to changing it yearly. Is this car garaged?

I understand that owning a car in Singapore is very expensive. I would not cheap out on maintenance.

Don't worry about getting a oil analysis. I've never had one done. It's more a BITOG thing.

Originally Posted by JennyPenny90
Originally Posted by hpb

2 years? Wow.... need more people to chime in before I try this! Is it really true that oil doesn't wear watches?

Yep. 2 years/10,000km will not hurt anything.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I might lean to changing it yearly. Is this car garaged?

I understand that owning a car in Singapore is very expensive. I would not cheap out on maintenance.

Don't worry about getting a oil analysis. I've never had one done. It's more a BITOG thing.

Yes. The car is garaged from my home to office and back.

Our cars here are "only" 2-4 times higher than the rest of the world.

I use a good synthetic 0W20 in my truck which averages 2k-3k a year. I change my oil every 2 years or 10k. I got to this point with doing UOAs. First annually, then 18 months and finally went with 2 years. Of course, this is driving similar to your driving habits. i.e. driving the vehicles 10+ miles, allowing the truck to get to operating temperature, etc. I done 2 UAOs at the two year mark and the miles on the truck were slightly above 5k and the oil was still robust. I probably could have went 2 1/12 or more but I feel the 2 year mark or 10k mark is good for me.

Last edited:
Our 1993 toyota pickup is on Amsoil SS 10W-30 and a Toyota OEM 90215-YZZD1 filter. I changed the oil and filter 12/9/2017. It has 1200 miles on it so will change it next year on or around 12/9/2019. We drive it around or community and it gets at least 30 minutes of operating time. I sent the previous sample and Blackstone Labs at about the same mileage for 18 month change and they said to go farther, 4000 miles before changing so it could 4 years but I'll change it every other year.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll extend my service interval. One of the mechanics used to tell me, oil will expire faster in an engine. So don't exceed 6 months cycle.

Ok. I got nervous, and changed my oil on month 13 (Lexus IS250). This is the longest OCI for me!

Oil flowed out very quickly and looked good (dark brown but not black). Mileage was around 7,000km (~4,375 miles).

Fresh oil "feels" the same as the previous oil.

My Mercedes has a 12 month or 10,000 miles (16,000 km) service interval. Long service intervals are very new for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back