4K System Requirements (video card/monitor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at 4K monitors, however I believe my current video card only supports 2K QHD resolution (2560x1440). Current card is a Nvidia Quadro 2000, system is a HP Z600 dual-Intel Xeon rig with 48gb RAM.

The goal is have a dual monitor setup with the 4K monitor and 2K monitor I already have. I suspect I'll have to upgrade the video card in order to be able to take advantage of 4k resolution. What is a good all-around video card for this purpose? I'm no hardcore gamer, but I do get a new game to try every now and again, and like to have the headroom to run modern games at decent quality-- but max settings on 4K isn't necessary, I can always view the game on the 2K screen to reduce requirements. So bang for the buck is essential here, moreso than being top-of-the-line.

One thing I have to consider is that my motherboard is only PCI-E 2.0, whereas all the modern cards are PCI-E 3.0. Last I'd read is that modern cards still do not take advantage of the extra bandwidth offered by 3.0 specification, is this still the case? I know the two are backwards compatible but I don't want to spend good money on a new card only to have it hamstrung by an older motherboard.

Just to point out what's obvious to me: you have an engineering workstation.
Are you running any MCAE/ECAE applications?
You'd want to buy another Quadro card; those applications are usually certified to the Quadro series of cards.
You should check the websites of the applications you use for certified cards.

I bought the system as an off-lease refurb because it was $300 and checked all the boxes for what I want in a computer. I usually build my own, but prices have gotten so out of hand, and hardware isn't really evolving, so this was a good fit. I upgraded the RAM, otherwise it's a stock dual-CPU setup. I dabble in Autocad, play some games, but nothing that prohibits me from buying any readily available gaming card that's out there. I'm power suppy limited to one that has ONE 8-pin connector, so the real power hungry ones are out of the question, but most of those aren't in my price range/needs anyways.

Since when does a dabbler need 48GB of RAM?
shocked2.gif
What's the max you've ever used and in what instance?

It's good to know that you're ok not playing the latest games in 4K at the highest settings...that narrows it down to all cards costing less than a grand...maybe
13.gif

How much are you looking to spend???

System came equipped with 12gb, the next step would have been 24gb (LGA1366 platform is triple channel, so requires 6 modules for dual-CPU config). I found the cost of used 24gb ECC unbuffered was the same as 48gb ECC registered, so went with the latter. I don't even come close to using even 12gb, but for less than $100, why not have way more than I'll ever need.

As far as the video card goes, I'd like to stay in $300 territory. $400 would be the very upper limit.

Go with the 1070. Nice bump up from the 1050.
Almost 2x the speed.
And available for mid-$350.
I like the MSI cards.
Newegg, or Amazon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
Almost 2x the speed.
I like the MSI cards.
Newegg, or Amazon.
If you're going 1070, make sure you get a 6gb variant. Same goes for the 1050 although I am not sure it has more than 4gb.

How may PCI-e X16 slots do you have? Does your current Quadro take up two spaces worth (one connection)? Most new cards that you'll be looking at will take up two spots

How many power connectors do you have? I'm not sure how many your current card has. My Dell XPS luckily came with 8 + 6

Sorry, I completely forgot to ask that before. If you don't have the slots for the card, room for the card or power to drive it, then you might be out of luck before you even read the below

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
System came equipped with 12gb, the next step would have been 24gb (LGA1366 platform is triple channel, so requires 6 modules for dual-CPU config). I found the cost of used 24gb ECC unbuffered was the same as 48gb ECC registered, so went with the latter. I don't even come close to using even 12gb, but for less than $100, why not have way more than I'll ever need.

As far as the video card goes, I'd like to stay in $300 territory. $400 would be the very upper limit.

Sounds like you wasted $100. Like you, I've considered upgrading my 12 GB, too, though. If only DDR-3 was cheap enough to go for it!
cheers3.gif

For the price you're willing to pay, you will have no problem with general use of both of your aforementioned displays. You could save A LOT of money, if all you want to do is display 2K and 4K content. Heck, even my HD 5850 from 2009 can handle 2K, though sadly not 4K, I don't think.

For gaming, you'll be able to play on very high settings to ultra, but at 1080p, depending on the game. Some games may play very well @ 2K, as well.
-----You might also be limited to your bottleneck of a processor, though. I've got an i7-920 (1st gen core processor), and I'm concerned I'll have issues with the new GPU I just purchased (a mid-range card - see below).

Originally Posted by wha232
Research GTX 1050. Should do the job at a reasonable price.

OP says he wants to game every so often at decent settings, which COMPLETELY knocks the low-level GTX 1050 out for gaming. If the OP simply wanted to display 4K and 2K at the same time, the 1050 ti is what I'd recommend, to future-proof and allow you to play new games on low settings, with less-demanding and older games able to play on higher settings.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Danno
Almost 2x the speed.
I like the MSI cards.
Newegg, or Amazon.
If you're going 1070, make sure you get a 6gb variant. Same goes for the 1050 although I am not sure it has more than 4gb.

Does the 1070 come in 6GB or are you thinking of the 1080?

The 1070 will be right in the OP's price range. AMD cards may be cheaper, I haven't checked recently in that price range.

Are either of your displays Free-sync (AMD) or G-sync (NVIDIA) capable? This would be the deciding factor for me, TBH!

//

I just upgraded my ancient AMD Radeon HD5850 for a Sapphire Nitro+ RX-580 8GB for $230, including shipping and tax. It's equivalent to a 1060 6GB, I believe, but it's good enough for me. I've fully committed to playing the latest games on my PS4, as sad as that sounds.

The only reason I upgraded the graphics card, is for the following:

1. Muuuuuuuuuuch cheaper to buy PC games, much soon, than console

2. PC-only games (Civ 6), Civ 7 when it comes out

3. I can play my Steam games on my PC and then pick up on my laptop, if shared to the cloud, which is easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back