Amazon Basic 0w-20 is very robust ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Same thing as SuperTech. The same company makes both. SuperTech is much cheaper though.

This has been discussed before, so I'm sorry if I missed the proof on this; do you have any proof that they're the same, or is it based solely on coming from the same maker?

Same thing as SuperTech. The same company makes both. SuperTech is much cheaper though.

Everything I get from Amazon is the same price …

All the Supertech oil I buy is the same price …

Originally Posted by gathermewool

This has been discussed before, so I'm sorry if I missed the proof on this; do you have any proof that they're the same, or is it based solely on coming from the same maker?

That is based on coming from the same company. I see your point.

Amazon Basics 0w-20 is listed as being a Warren product on PQIA who sampled it in September, Unless WM has changed their contracting scheme, SuperTech can be from a couple different providers depending on the region / contract, etc. I'm wondering if Amazon Basics might be a similar situation or it's all provided by Warren.

Originally Posted by kr_bitog
Seems the spec has SN Plus and have NOACK less than M1 AFE 0w-20, so has anyone tried it ?

What is SN Plus?

Amazon has their own brand of oil?

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by kr_bitog
Seems the spec has SN Plus and have NOACK less than M1 AFE 0w-20, so has anyone tried it ?

What is SN Plus?

Amazon has their own brand of oil?

Some quick searching will answer all your questions.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
do you have any proof that they're the same, or is it based solely on coming from the same maker?

No proof (and I don't care one way or the other) but it makes almost no sense for Warren to blend different formulations for Supertech, Amazon, Federated, etc, etc. The more they crank out that's identical means the more volume of raw materials they purchase. The more units of component "x" they buy, the cheaper they can pay for it.

Also, don't all of these branded oils show up under the same Dexos license number ? If so, they are identical.

It makes perfect sense if I contract Warren today and have them make my own brew.
I doubt everything Warren makes is the exact same recipe. That makes it harder for the reseller to get an edge on the competition if
all the oil is the same stew.
smile.gif

I'm sure they hard sell the basic brew because of cost but that is no guarantee that the resellers all take the bait.

The average person isn't buying store-brand oil because of any "edge". They're buying it on price and convenience.

Then, as soon as company "a" wants their own special brew, the cost goes up because the blender loses the benefit of larger production runs or batches and they will pass that loss on to the buyer.

Originally Posted by Zee09
It makes perfect sense if I contract Warren today and have them make my own brew.
I doubt everything Warren makes is the exact same recipe. That makes it harder for the reseller to get an edge on the competition if
smile.gif

I'm sure they hard sell the basic brew because of cost but that is no guarantee that the resellers all take the bait.

Nah, each has its own marketing and that is where the difference occurs.

Originally Posted by Zee09

There's a LOT of store branded oil out there...

I don't think any of them ask for anything other than:
1) "the current SN rated mix" and
2) "their own label"

Linctex: how about some oils that are made by say WPP/WNE that use sodium and some other store brand oils made by them that dont have sodium?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Linctex: how about some oils that are made by say WPP/WNE that use sodium and some other store brand oils made by them that dont have sodium?

The sodium has been phased out. All of the store brand stuff is the same blend.

Originally Posted by Linctex
There's a LOT of store branded oil out there...

I don't think any of them ask for anything other than:
1) "the current SN rated mix" and
2) "their own label"

Exactly. Other than auto parts stores, why would Walmart, Dollar General, Rural King, (insert the name of a gas station chain), or one of the many, many other stores around the country want to become oil "designers" ? They don't and won't. There is one primary thing they want: Their name on the product

I use the EP and think you RE the AFE … but does anyone think a tiny difference in NOACK will help WP prevent oxidation compared to lubes with 30%-60%+ PAO for $5/quart … IMO these are still 7500 mile oils in an engine tough on oil …

Don't care to support Amazon or Walmart direct products … I like to do business with those who actually engineersed, produced the base stock, did the R&D, and then tweaked …
Maybe Bed, Bath, and Beyond should have WP bottle them some oil ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
I use the EP and think you RE the AFE … but does anyone think a tiny difference in NOACK will help WP prevent oxidation compared to lubes with 30%-60%+ PAO for $5/quart … IMO these are still 7500 mile oils in an engine tough on oil …

Don't care to support Amazon or Walmart direct products … I like to do business with those who actually engineersed, produced the base stock, did the R&D, and then tweaked …
Maybe Bed, Bath, and Beyond should have WP bottle them some oil ?

I like M1 0w20 EP, but I find it fast deteriorating if it is diluted (I guess it is common to 0W20), and compared with Motul 8100 0w20 Ecolite SN, the Motul keep the engine is quieter in the low-mid rpm and have slight edge on fuel economy and fast revving of the engine. I am still testing the Motul on long term durability. However, if this Amazon Basic is really good for long run, may be it will be candidate option if Amazon resumes delivering engine oil in good price to this part of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back