OPE stored Outdoors - Before or After Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed some floorspace so OPE that sits on the floor had been moved outside under the deck , covered...

All doused with a heavy film of Fluid film unneath the deck, auger, etc.
Anyhow, what camp of OCI do you say. After season, before storage or before seasonal use. Weather sees the dew set in the morning, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If it's covered outside, I would vote for run it out of Stabil-dosed gas & fog it before, change the oil after.

+1.

I've been cutting a friends lawn weekly for the past 5 yrs, as he & his wife(both cancer survivors) have had intestines removed and each have limited mobility. I use his own push lawn mower and at the end of season, I fill the gas tank full with fresh gas w/Sta-Bil and cover the mower with a recycle bin & 2 bungee cords and leave it outside.

This mower is >20 yrs old and starts, hmmm, OK but, runs fine when warmed up. It's been running like this even before I took over cutting the lawn.

Last edited:
In days of yore, I used galvy wash tubs. They were heavy enough not to need bungies .Maybe wrap a garbage bag around the handle.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Again, the abbreviations here drive me nuts.
What is OPE and why can't it be spelled-out here?

Speaking of which, that contraction in your signature has been just killing me!
13.gif

I have no problem with initialisms, though! Makes like way easier. Besides, it's suuuuper easy to Google the initialism, acronym or any jargon and, using the context with which it was used, find out what it means. Some only need context and can be figured out without a search.

Note: OPE is not a BITOGism. I've seen and heard others use it. I've heard and use it myself in everyday speach. It's pretty common...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
OPE is not a new abbreviation here, I could understand a new member not knowing.

I could understand someone new to the internet not knowing how to figure it out.

How to Google Instructions

Edit: the above is meant in no way to be condescending. For those who didn't know, Googling the way the above link shows you is pretty efficient

Last edited:
I had an old briggs powered tiller that burned more oil than gas. It sat outdoors on a piece of plywood and a bucket over it for like 5 years. I used 20W50 that I drained from my motorcycle, It never failed to start, usually in one pull. till for 20 minutes, shut off and let cool. fill oil, do again, No staybil, one oil change per year. Gotta love the old flat head pulse carb briggs.

Rod

Last edited:
I don't change OPE oil because it's being stored or taken out of storage. It gets changed based on usage, usually during the period of time it's being used.

It's good to keep the OPE covered if you can't store it indoors, but keeping it on the ground is bad as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back