Rotella 5-w40/ Volvo

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first bought this car, the previous owner told me that he always used the Rotella 5-w40 in the car.

The car is a 98 Volvo T5 turbo, 5 cylinder engine with turbo( modifications). I wonder weather I should switch to something else, yearly oil changes.

I live in the mid west and drive the car occasional during winter months.

Rotella T6 5w40 is very popular in the turbo Subaru community and it also provided excellent service for a good friend of mine in her Forrester that wasn't turbocharged, the Forrester was well maintained but used a quart of 5w30 conventional or synthetic every 2500-3000 miles. Switching to 5w40 reduced consumption such that no oil needed to be added even when running 7500 miles OCI, instead of adding just to get to the previous 5,000 OCI she was able to run to 7,500 without adding.

I'm a big fan of running HDEO in gas engines.

It's a good choice.

Fundamentally, these engines are reliable (240,000 miles on my wife's XC, still has original turbo, engine and transmission) but they are subject to the PCV system (AKA Flame Trap) getting plugged up with sludge and causing seal leaks from excess crankcase pressure.

So, shorter intervals would be my recommendation, even with that excellent oil. You'll need an oil that meets A3/B4 (longer service interval) and there are many good choices with that specification.

If the flame trap system has not been replaced recently, do so now. Replacing a cam seal is a PITA. Rear main seal even worse. For that vintage, I would go with this kit from IPD (great parts/tech knowledge for Volvo owners)

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4984/114174-pcv-breather-system-kit

Thanks for all the great replies, I recently order the stuff to redo the PCV system. It is a toy car manual trans and drive it 2-3K miles per year so far.

May be once the wife retires we can take it on a long trip.

Rotella T6 5w40 was reformulated about a year ago. It's a totally different oil now. Not that it's no longer good. I still use it and it works well. I mix it with M1 or PP 0w20 in varying ratios. My vehicles love it.

Originally Posted by Astro14
It's a good choice.

Fundamentally, these engines are reliable (240,000 miles on my wife's XC, still has original turbo, engine and transmission) but they are subject to the PCV system (AKA Flame Trap) getting plugged up with sludge and causing seal leaks from excess crankcase pressure.

So, shorter intervals would be my recommendation, even with that excellent oil. You'll need an oil that meets A3/B4 (longer service interval) and there are many good choices with that specification.

If the flame trap system has not been replaced recently, do so now. Replacing a cam seal is a PITA. Rear main seal even worse. For that vintage, I would go with this kit from IPD (great parts/tech knowledge for Volvo owners)

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4984/114174-pcv-breather-system-kit

I agree. We recently sold an 07 V70 2.4 NA with 180k. I ran Petro-Canada Duron 0W30, 5k OCI. Changed the PVC at 90k as preventative maintenance. I never had an issue with the PCV.

Sam

Originally Posted by Dave1027
Rotella T6 5w40 was reformulated about a year ago. It's a totally different oil now. Not that it's no longer good. I still use it and it works well. I mix it with M1 or PP 0w20 in varying ratios. My vehicles love it.

As part of this reformulation, Rotella T6 5w-40 does not carry any specification for gasoline (spark ignition) engines.

I know a lot of people still use Rotella T6 in gasoline engines but it currently does not carry any SX (ie SM, SN, SN+, etc) designation.

And if it matters, there are several Xw40 variants that do carry a gasoline suitable rating that are readily available. ie: Mobil, Castrol, and Pennzoil are all readily available at Walmart with a gasoline engine rating.

I have a 1999 s70 non turbo and I have indeed run Rotella T6 in it when I had a stash of the oil. Once I ran out of it, I started using whatever Xw40 or Xw30 I had from the various clearance sales I found out about here on this site.

-A

Originally Posted by amblerman

As part of this reformulation, Rotella T6 5w-40 does not carry any specification for gasoline (spark ignition) engines.

I know a lot of people still use Rotella T6 in gasoline engines but it currently does not carry any SX (ie SM, SN, SN+, etc) designation.

And if it matters, there are several Xw40 variants that do carry a gasoline suitable rating that are readily available. ie: Mobil, Castrol, and Pennzoil are all readily available at Walmart with a gasoline engine rating.

I have a 1999 s70 non turbo and I have indeed run Rotella T6 in it when I had a stash of the oil. Once I ran out of it, I started using whatever Xw40 or Xw30 I had from the various clearance sales I found out about here on this site.

-A

The lack of SN on the T6 is completely irrelevant to the usability of the oil. It just doesn't comply with P limit for the SN. Cx is recommended for spark ignited Harleys, used by many in various gassers. Oil is oil, good oil is good oil.

Originally Posted by Dyusik

The lack of SN on the T6 is completely irrelevant to the usability of the oil. It just doesn't comply with P limit for the SN. Cx is recommended for spark ignited Harleys, used by many in various gassers. Oil is oil, good oil is good oil.

True. Especially for the car in question.
I was merely pointing out the reformulation no longer carries the Sx designation in case the OP opens his manual, reads what his car calls for and wonders why the back of the Rotella bottle doesn't carry a suitable specification. It used to and now it doesn't. However, it's probably much better of an oil than existed back in 1998 anyway.

As I mentioned I used to run it in a similar car and only stopped because of how much other oil I have.

-A

Last edited:
Your car sounds well taken care of by the PO. A 5w40 HDEO or Euro would work as well as a 0w40 Euro.

To me, it all boils down to cost. I buy Mobil 1 0w40 during rebates. $12 a jug or so.

Rotella T6 5w40 was reformulated about a year ago. It's a totally different oil now.

Totally different? It was E7, E9 before, and is E7, E9 now. It can't have changed that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back