Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30, 3,953 Miles OCI, 2017 Infiniti VR30DDTT Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by ZZman
Surprised on the light detergent amounts.

There is likely more going on here than what we can see on the analysis.

Please explain "likely more going on here"...

Originally Posted by B6_Dolphin
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by ZZman
Surprised on the light detergent amounts.

There is likely more going on here than what we can see on the analysis.

Please explain "likely more going on here"...

There are components in oil that are not picked up by the average analysis. It's been talked about many times here.

Hmm.. that's a lot of whp/wtq for a 20 weight oil (ending viscosity). Since you have already voided your warranty with all the mods, I would even consider Rotella T5 10w30 in that application. I bet it holds viscosity much better. Or look at a thick euro 30 or 40 weight. PP 0w40 would be a good candidate especially with it's great cold weather specs.

Originally Posted by webfors
Hmm.. that's a lot of whp/wtq for a 20 weight oil (ending viscosity).

I switched to 5W30 @ 5k miles. I ran Castrol Edge EP 5W30, beforre switching to the Valvoline ME 5W30.

The engine continues to consume no oil between changes.

Think DN notes they often shed a bit until 20k when wear trends (and these guys below) get flatter …

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperity_(materials_science)

Originally Posted by skyactiv
There are expensive additives that will now show up in a UOA in the modern low and mid saps oils. The auto makers will be going towards such oils in the U.S. and Canada.

I agree! Low-sap oils will show-up on store shelves more often in the next few years. Hopefully then the price will slowly drop.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Viscosity is gone and the flashpoint is poor. Too bad you didn't get a TBN.

See below for the next UOA, taken @ 19,215 miles, with almost 5,700 miles on another round of Valvoline ME 5W30, which includes a TBN.

17 Q60S-190317.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back