Dealing with depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had two good friends who started drinking heavily after a job loss. each of them ended up losing their lives due to the alcohol spiral. I'm not saying that drinking will end your life; but I did lose two very good friends who were otherwise very outgoing, social, and wonderful people.

just keep your self busy. try some new activities, new people.

My advice:

Don't allow yourself to be alone. Loneliness is the worst demon in life. Some people like their "alone time",but I don't. I hate being alone. I hate going places alone,doing things alone,shopping alone,etc. I like to have the company of my girlfriend or my best friends.

Winter time is depressing for me and it is winter. Try to get some day light.

Originally Posted by CT8
Drinking is a depressant.

Alcohol is a depressant. But alcohol stimulates endorphins like dopamine which actually causes the "high" from drinking...

Seriously consider medications. 6 years ago I started suffering from depression. It got really really bad. I exercised, ate healthy, did not drink more than a drink per week. I had little interest in anything.

Believe me the thought of suicide occurred to me. Counseling did not help. It is an imbalance with brain chemicals. Went to the doc and started taking generic CeleXA (citalopram)..20 mg. It improved things, but not completely. The doc adjusted it to 30mg.

People who have not been there and have strong feelings against meds will chastise you. You owe it to yourself and your family to do what is necessary. It literally gave me my life back.

Look at Admiral Borda who had a family and killed him self. He obviously suffered from depression. Imagine doing this to your family. Most find this Insane..in a sense it is. But I am not even remotely surprised. Please see the doc!!!!

Last edited:
I would recommend starting with seeing if taking high does vitamins, especially D and B, might help. I use Swanson, but Puritan's Pride is also highly rated for having what they say is in it. As Bond stated above, maybe try taking them with the fish/cod liver oil after a meal (I use Norwegian stuff in capsules). If your depression is minor or "sub-clinical", that may help mitigate depression. Go easy on the alcohol and maybe exercise even if its just walking with a dog or something...

Originally Posted by CT8
Winter time is depressing for me and it is winter. Try to get some day light.

In no small part often related to "seasonal" vitamin D deficiencies due to the lack of sunlight....

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I have been thinking of adopting a dog. Need to go to the humane society and look some.

Good idea, My dogs perk me up no matter what! Though I don't care for older dogs with bad habits.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

I have been thinking of adopting a dog. Need to go to the humane society and look some.

Good idea, My dogs perk me up no matter what! Though I don't care for older dogs with bad habits.

Don't forget cats too.

Best advice was to get some professional help to at least learn what's going on. Then do everything else in this thread.

Time for an intervention. If BITOG starts sending him filters to cut and post he'll be too busy to be depressed and might then have a celebratory toast!

You are a friendly person and I really enjoy your cutting the oil filters open posts. I hope you feel better.

It doesn't help that the days are now short and your vitamin D is probably low. OP, get outside, do something. Try to exercise. See if there's something like volunteering that may get you active and get some satisfaction.

Get a high dose vitamin d supplement.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Chris142
Don't forget cats too.

This!!

cats.jpg

Great idea, as matter of fact get two dogs to keep each company when you're not home, but not the same age.
Cats are great too but you can't take really them for walks. So make it two dogs and one cat, that will keep you busy.
grin.gif

Also, read up on SAD- (seasonal affective disorder) we're coming up on the winter solstice soon, shortest day of the year.

The remedy is sunlight exposure which is hard to get in northern latitudes this time of year, so we need Vitamin D supplements in the 5000-8000 IU daily range.

Tanning beds could also help.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Sorry to hear you're going through this. Some good suggestions have already been made, but I'd like to add this:

There are days when I find myself feeling pretty low. On these days, I find that picking up, holding, just spending some time with one or many of my cats really helps bring me 'back to center' so to speak and lift my spirits. If you don't already have a pet, it might be worthwhile to get one. If you do have a pet (or multiple), when you find yourself feeling down, spend some quality time with them and remember that you enrich their lives probably as much as they enrich yours.

That can be a very good thing. It will keep you busy. What breed are you interested in? I picked Jack Russell they are a challenge smart and if you don't train them they will train you. Also just a great size dog to take on trip with you. Then there my youngest daughter if it isn't a Great Dane it going to another home.

Lots of good advice above. Especially remember the ones suggesting professional help. Sometimes the the brain's "electrical system" just doesn't function correctly and certain drugs combined with therapy (cognitive, mindfulness, etc.) can get the spark plug wires operating better. Sometimes, even the excellent lifestyle changes suggested above cannot overcome the malfunctioning brain. It can be a body dysfunction just like diabetes is - that is, you cannot "think" it away and sometimes you need more than even diet, exercise, etc. can do. Definitely try the good advice, but seek professional help if you don't get better.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Get a high dose vitamin d supplement.

Good luck!

+1 Excellent advice. With people working indoors more that ever, low vitamin d levels are epidemic.

5000u is a starting place, get it checked at your next doctor visit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff

Best advice was to get some professional help to at least learn what's going on. Then do everything else in this thread.

Time for an intervention. If BITOG starts sending him filters to cut and post he'll be too busy to be depressed and might then have a celebratory toast!

Exactly 100% right (IMHO).This is nothing to trifle with. Get professional help FIRST. Then take the suggestions from us duffers second.

Last edited:
My vitamin D levels were in the toilet a couple years ago. I went on a heavy dose for a few months which brought the levels up into the upper normal range. It didn't make a difference in my depression however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back