Transmission woes....143k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all - Usually this forum is spectacular for maintenance information and suggestions-

So I'm coming for help in locating a reliable rebuilder....the wife's '08 Liberty is having some transmission issues at 143k. Reverse slips backing uphill and starting to get a shudder in forward gears under light acceleration around the time the torque converter thinks about locking up.

Normally I'd just exchange the fluid, but with the reverse issue it's nagging me that this is something more serious; hence the rebuild thoughts.
(Have gone the junkyard way before and don't want any part of that drama....like to keep the one we've got with some fresh internals.)

So if anyone's got knowledge of a reliable trans place or Jeep mechanic within a couple hundred miles of Denver, do tell and thanks in advance!!

Before going through all that effort and expense I'd exchange the fluid and pour in two bottles of Lubegard Red. Give it time to work, even up to 5k miles. Drop pan and replace filter.

You can drop the pan and see how much clutch material is laying on the bottom. That will tell you. Slipping can be from worn orings and seals. Lubeguard can fix that and the shudder IF there is not a lot of gunk in the pan.. I had the infamous Chrysler 604 start giving me problems at about 130K miles. Changed fluid added seal conditioner and it was still running at 175 K when 2 very carefree teen age girls finally totaled it after whittling away at the corners a few times.
Rod

If you're already considering a rebuild doing fluid and filter can't hurt. Worst case it looses reverse (sounds like it is already on it's way there anyway) and no improvement in TCC shudder/function. Best case it prolongs the inevitable. Downside of the rebuild, a quality rebuild with R&R is likely to be 50 to 70% or more of the vehicles value. My guesstimate on rebuild plus R&R is $2800-3500.

Thanks for the comments thus far....

Originally Posted by gathermewool
How old is the current ATF?

Unknown. Got together with the wife 2 years ago, hasn't been changed in that time. Not certain, but pretty sure it's due.

Have you called ANY shops to inquire about the COST of rebuilding it? I'm gonna be honest with you, from previous experience that a neighbor had recently trying rebuilt his transmission... TWICE before finally just replacing it all together with a used unit on the THIRD time.

The car is almost 11 years old. A junkyard transmission will cost you a few hundred bucks + labor to throw it in.

I bet rebuilding it will cost you THOUSANDS + labor.

I'd also bet that you can find a nice low mileage wrecked Jeep at auction, pull the transmission (and any other parts you may need) and then still sell the wrecked Jeep for parts and end up fixing your Jeep FOR FREE or very close to it, if you can find someone who charges reasonable labor to do the transmission swap.

I've personally done the above on two vehicles recently. Repairs literally cost me ZERO. Just labor.

Good Luck.

Originally Posted by caravanmike
The 42rle normally shudders in reverse going up hill. It is the way reverse is geared.

That's one way to look at it I guess......If they all do it, It must be normal.

Chrysler using only TWO reverse input clutch disc's is the culprit behind this!! The issue dates back to LH platform cars with the A606/42LE unit which the 42RLE is based on.

While this unit has a relatively tall reverse ratio (2.21:1).....Chrysler 46RE/47RE/48RE has the same reverse ratio, The GM TH400/4L80E have a even taller 2.07:1 reverse ratio & have zero issues with reverse shudder.

Granted....Reverse is a "High Strain" operation for ALL automatic transmissions (Except Honda autos that uses a shift fork & gears like a manual for reverse). But I don't see this as an excuse for poor engineering that spans 20 years with thousands of complaints on file.

Originally Posted by Artem

A junkyard transmission will cost you a few hundred bucks + labor to throw it in.
I bet rebuilding it will cost you THOUSANDS + labor.

I agree.

The good, used factory built one - - will be better than the one most rebuild shops can turn out.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Hey all - Usually this forum is spectacular for maintenance information and suggestions-

So I'm coming for help in locating a reliable rebuilder....the wife's '08 Liberty is having some transmission issues at 143k. Reverse slips backing uphill and starting to get a shudder in forward gears under light acceleration around the time the torque converter thinks about locking up.

Normally I'd just exchange the fluid, but with the reverse issue it's nagging me that this is something more serious; hence the rebuild thoughts.
(Have gone the junkyard way before and don't want any part of that drama....like to keep the one we've got with some fresh internals.)

So if anyone's got knowledge of a reliable trans place or Jeep mechanic within a couple hundred miles of Denver, do tell and thanks in advance!!

The shudder in reverse for the 42rle is normal, but you're saying yours slips in reverse, and shudders in forward. I'm for trying LUBEGUARD, with a fluid change.

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-19610-Tranny-Instant-Shudder/dp/B0002JMLQU

Reman one from RockAuto. $1334. Plus shipping and install labor. I would not get it rebuilt. A reman is better. More parts replaced.

Probably be $2000 when all is said and done.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Before going through all that effort and expense I'd exchange the fluid and pour in two bottles of Lubegard Red. Give it time to work, even up to 5k miles. Drop pan and replace filter.

^^This here^^ Lubegard is a good product. May not help if parts are worn out but will not hurt.

Originally Posted by Donald
Reman one from RockAuto. $1334. Plus shipping and install labor. I would not get it rebuilt. A reman is better. More parts replaced.

Probably be $2000 when all is said and done.

Personally, I would not spend $2000 on an 11 year old 143k mile Liberty.
+5 on the Lubegard Red recommendation. Many transmission shops add it to ALL of their transmission rebuilds/replacements as a standard procedure.

Conversation I had with lubegard.

(Me) Hi folks 2010 mercury mountaineer 5r55s trans. Purchased 2 bottles of the red Doing a pan drop. Pan has a drain but no dip stick. Have to pump fluid into pan. Pain in the backside. Can I use both bottles. Will there be any issues using 1/2 bottle more then needed. Low miles 72,000 miles for protective maintenance. Thank you

(Lubegard) your SR55 transmission holds 12.4 quarts of ATF, you can safely use two 10-oz bottles of Lubegard Red/ATF Protectant. It won't cause any issue to your transmission.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by montero1
The shudder in reverse for the 42rle is normal, but you're saying yours slips in reverse, and shudders in forward. I'm for trying LUBEGUARD, with a fluid change.

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-19610-Tranny-Instant-Shudder/dp/B0002JMLQU

I would get this Lubegard product instead. This is one of their mainstay products. Also per Trav on here you can double-dose safely with some added benefits.

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-609...129&sr=1-1&keywords=lubegard+red

Good point, especially if you're going to change the fluid.

They make good stuff, I use this for my Vette, but it has no "Problems"

Lubegard 69032 Complete Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid - 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BZMQT66/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oQqdCbDTVHM79

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back