Dealing with depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening folks. Lately, I have been somewhat depressed and drinking a bit more. Not a problem, but just been depressed for some reason. I enjoy being able to cut and post filters and enjoy the Autozone clearances. I have been reading more and watching less tv other than ROKU streaming.

I'm all too familiar with depression. I have PTSD from my time in service, sometimes rather severe. Finding someone who's been through the same thing I went through, whom I could talk to about it, is what's helped me the most. Medications have been hit and miss. Drinking always made it worse.

Originally Posted by CT8
Drinking is a depressant.

I didnt know this. I always thought it was bad if you drink way too much. Thanks for the info also
smile.gif

Black Dog is a wearying companion.

Has claimed a few in my family, so it's not to be taken lightly.

Biggest thing that's ever helped me was adopting the Wim Hof Program just recently...it DOES change your wiring.
Before that EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) - google it. It's good for knocking the edge off.

A friend of my wife did her masters on treating mild depression with over the counter NSAIDs...low dose aspirin. He research was that depressive episodes arise with low grade inflammation in the system, and baby aspirin helped in that department.
I tried it for 3 weeks and noticed a difference (not a fan of any drug long term).

Stop drinking, it ruins your sleep which ruins everything else.

Take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, eat probiotic and prebiotic food, no packaged food or restaurant food. This will save you money over your current diet.

Exercise daily.

Don't read stuff on the internet, read a book or watch regular tv. If you're bored, make more complex food or exercise. You have no excuse not to do all of these things starting now.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Black Dog is a wearying companion.

Has claimed a few in my family, so it's not to be taken lightly.

Biggest thing that's ever helped me was adopting the Wim Hof Program just recently...it DOES change your wiring.
Before that EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) - google it. It's good for knocking the edge off.

A friend of my wife did her masters on treating mild depression with over the counter NSAIDs...low dose aspirin. He research was that depressive episodes arise with low grade inflammation in the system, and baby aspirin helped in that department.
I tried it for 3 weeks and noticed a difference (not a fan of any drug long term).

Steve, thanks for the info and I'll look the EFT up. Thanks again
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Audios
Do you have any hobbies that youre seriously into? Anything youre passionate about?

I like going to the local ice arena to watch high school hockey kids play and enjoy the park the ice arena property is on

Love history also

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good evening folks. Lately, I have been somewhat depressed and drinking a bit more. Not a problem, but just been depressed for some reason. I enjoy being able to cut and post filters and enjoy the Autozone clearances. I have been reading more and watching less tv other than ROKU streaming.

Sorry to hear that. I have had some myself on and off. Yes, stop the drinking if you can. The number one thing you can do (google it) is to exercise. For me I need about a half mile jog, that's it. The exercise releases some chemical in your brain, and it really seems to work. That will also help with your blood pressure.

Problem I have had is if I am down, I will drink just enough that I don't want to exercise.

Sorry to hear you're going through this. Some good suggestions have already been made, but I'd like to add this:

There are days when I find myself feeling pretty low. On these days, I find that picking up, holding, just spending some time with one or many of my cats really helps bring me 'back to center' so to speak and lift my spirits. If you don't already have a pet, it might be worthwhile to get one. If you do have a pet (or multiple), when you find yourself feeling down, spend some quality time with them and remember that you enrich their lives probably as much as they enrich yours.

Hey bro, give the gin mill a 10 day break. You'll see that you will sleep deeper (realy REM) and have more positive energy. If you are really bad drop the meat and just have salads and bags of steamed veggies for the first 4 days of the 10 without the drinks. After a few days your blood sugar should be good and you should be sleeping deeply. It all can get better after that first hard time breaking the habit.

I add, listen to a few Jocko Willnick, Joe Rogan, Dave Goggins, Tony Robbins while you go thru this. You can get thru it.

Stay focused my friend. Please consider not drinking alcohol. I learned a long time ago not to judge people. We are human. A dear wise friend told me once "Son, the only perfect person was crucified on the cross." I am speaking euphemistically.

I certainly enjoy your daily pics of oil filters. Seriously I do!

Going to the gym helps me! I'm sure you learned discipline in the military. My best friend is a K-9.

Life is never fair. Just make the most of it. I had a dear friend who was terminally ill. Every morning he would thank God (FB) for another day with his family. After which he died. But he was great full for every day. Which made me realize something. Life is a gift. Do good! Appreciate those around us.

Take care and stand tough!

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Sorry to hear you're going through this. Some good suggestions have already been made, but I'd like to add this:

There are days when I find myself feeling pretty low. On these days, I find that picking up, holding, just spending some time with one or many of my cats really helps bring me 'back to center' so to speak and lift my spirits. If you don't already have a pet, it might be worthwhile to get one. If you do have a pet (or multiple), when you find yourself feeling down, spend some quality time with them and remember that you enrich their lives probably as much as they enrich yours.

I have been thinking of adopting a dog. Need to go to the humane society and look some.

It's that time of the year - which couples get even more couple-y and the weather is gloomy and gray. I'm usually down this time of year since I'm not in a relationship and I see lots of PDAs. Drinking can make it worse or lead to irrational decisions.

Practice mindfulness - whether that's meditation, yoga or being active. Reach to someone you haven't talked to in a while. If you need to, talk to a therapist or counselor. The holidays are hard - but the most important thing is #1. Laying off the booze is a good start.

And I do enjoy your filter teardowns.

Not sure what your finances would allow or if there are any free services available but I would seek the counsel of a professional. The tips people are giving are great but don't downplay what is actually a disease and should be treated as such.

My doggos help keep me straight and focused. I've been retired from the Fire Service for a little over 2 years now and am just now getting my sleep patterns straightened out. Not getting proper sleep will ravage your physical and emotional well being and as others have stated alcohol affects sleep way more than is apparent. Decades of 24 hours shifts and getting woken to a screaming alarm tones 3 or 4 times a night can take its toll. I still flinch when the initial note of the alarm tone appears in a song or on TV in just the right way....
Opening up and talking to others who've been through what you been through is a good way to talk things out. PTSD is an issue in the Fire Service too and we have a pretty good group of guys who are always able to talk to. We have a monthly Breakfast get together at Bob Evans on the 3rd friday of the month just to keep in touch and check up on each other.
People always speak of talking about what you feel and that's a good thing but the things i've done seen just cant be fully appreciated by someone who hasn't been there.

Take care

Two things I've learned in life -

Drinking to celebrate or have a good time is okay, drinking because you're depressed is a big problem.

If you stay busy, you won't have time to be depressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back