'17 Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a used Titan with 11K on it. Nissan recommends 0W20 SN spec and 5K change intervals. Is there any oil more suited to this engine since it's direct injected? I've read that these motors shear the oil more because of the gears and such, so I have no problem with a 5K change interval.

What oil would you recommend? And what oil filter? I've always trusted Purolator but can switch brands if needed. No towing, just normal driving.

Thanks,
Scott.

For a GDI engine, would recommend a synthetic Dexos1 Gen2 oil of recommended (Owner's Manual) viscosity and OEM oil filter.

A D1G2 0W-20 synthetic on rebate with a Fram Ultra. Prob 5K OCIs since it's GDI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Follow Nissans recommendation and OCI. It is really this easy.

What's the point in this forum then?

Shut it down folks, just follow the manual.

If the engine is hard on oil and out of warranty go to an*w30.

Last edited:
OEM filter. SN+ and/or d1g2 oil and grade/brand of your choosing. They are all good oils. Conventional oil at 5k OCI would be fine but you can use synthetic.I would lean towards 5w-30 A5 since it is not TGDI.

Id run Idemitsu Zepro advanced moly 0w20 if it were mine and change between 5 &7K

When it started to age Out of warranty and loosen up Id switch to a high PAO 30

Mine runs an xg7317.

UD

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
No need for an Ultra for 5K OCIs. Use OEM Nissan filter and any 0W20 oil that meets Nissan's specs.

filter and OCI doesnt have to be 1-1

Id still run one and do a topside change and just leave the filter in place for 3-4 OCI's. Way easier and quicker.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992

And you are who?

He is Bailes and you are Dave.

I am Joe and again reiterate the need to stick to 5K OCIs with this engine, should the OP desire to be the last owner of this vehicle..

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
He is Bailes and you are Dave.

I am Joe and again reiterate the need to stick to 5K OCIs with this engine, should the OP desire to be the last owner of this vehicle..

And I live near the Nissan test facility. If Nissan recommendations something other than a 5K OCI if the OP follows the recommendation precluding a manufacturing defect he will be the last ownerof this Titan if he choses to be.

18 Titan Pro4X here. FYI - The same engine specs. different weights of oil outside the US. We changed out the factory fill and a Japanese Nissan Mahle filter at @1400 miles with PP 0W-20 and a Nissan filter 15208-9E01A (Mexico). The truck is at ~3600 miles now and no issues; oil consumption or otherwise. We will stick to the Nissan recommended oil grade and 5K change intervals. I also have a stash of Fram Ultra 7317 and Puro Boss 14610 filters for the truck, but the Nissan filter is no slouch and will be our preferred filter. Separately, anyone who wants to experiment with different oil weights and also wanting to wait for expiration of the factory warranty, will wait 5 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first, on this truck.

The purpose of this forum has never been to exclusively disregard the oem manuals.

Originally Posted by wemay

The purpose of this forum has never been to exclusively disregard the oem manuals.

No-the purpose is state what oil is used in the rest of the world-then state the (USA) OEM recommendation at 0w/20 is too thin and NOT used elsewhere. Then rapid speculation takes place as to what is "the correct" oil.

Last edited:
Yeah the speculation is often done by individual's whom have never designed, tested, recorded every not of data, often the speculation is done by one who has never tore a engine down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back