Chinese Fram 4k miles on filter CH8081

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram oil filter out of a BMW E46 325 with 4k miles.

20181206_144511.jpg

20181206_144520.jpg

Last edited:
Is that white stuff glue? If it is it's very sporadic and shoddy. The filter looks pretty extreme with that twist. No tears?

Originally Posted by JC1
Did you install that filter yourself? Looks like it was overtightened.

Impossible. The cap bottoms out on the housing.

Cartridge too long, perhaps.

All of my van filters come out a bit squished. This one looks a little worse though.

My uneducated guess is that the elements expand when they get wet. And with nowhere to go they bend and twist. A regular can style of filter has only a spring on one end so they can expand and stay "normal" looking.

Yuck! It buckled!

What did you replace it with? Rock Auto has Mann and Mahle for a good price. If you want a wire-backed filter, Wix makes an XP cartridge for it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
My uneducated guess is that the elements expand when they get wet. And with nowhere to go they bend and twist. A regular can style of filter has only a spring on one end so they can expand and stay "normal" looking.
Cartridge filters, at least some of them (I don't know about this BMW application.) have a spring applying force to one end, too. The range of spring travel should take care of reasonable manufacturing tolerance variations in the filter length, or slight filter expansion. Of course that won't work if the filter is grossly too long, or if the spring exerts more force than the cartridge can withstand.

Originally Posted by Chris142
A regular can style of filter has only a spring on one end so they can expand and stay "normal" looking.

A spin-on can get wavey pleats from moisture absorbtion, and cellulose media expands the most. Full synthetic media doesn't absorb water, so it won't expand and warp.

Spin-on filters typically have the end caps glued to the center tube, so there is no movement of the end caps, and therefore the pleats will warp. I don't think the dome spring is soft enough to be moved by expanding pleats even if the end cap was free floating. The pleats are going to warp before the stiff spring moves.

The cartridge filter posted here shows lots of twisting from probably being a bit too long.

That's one ugly looking cartridge, particularly for 4k miles. I guess it survived though. On the plus side at least the endcaps didn't completely separate from the media as seen here on a several Fram cartridge anecdotes, at least two those being on BMWs. 'Based the on anecdotes', think if I owned a Beemer with cartridge application I'd stick to OEM.

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
WTH. Is the end cap aluminum with a rubber gasket?

?

It's clearly plastic with a felt ring, Hengst style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back