Production of an Icon, the Hayabusa, to end

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was always just too big & bulky.

Who wants a sportbike that's only at it's best when going fast in a straight line?

Originally Posted by Linctex

Who wants a sportbike that's only at it's best when going fast in a straight line?

I've heard that from lots of people over the years, who have never ridden one.

I've had lots of fun showing the so-called pure Sportbike (GSXR1K, R1, ZX-10, CBR1K, etc) riders that a well set-up and ridden 'Busa can handle better than they imagined.

My other two Sportbikes are lighter, and do ultimately handle better on a racetrack. That's an advantage you'll never exploit at remotely sane speeds on public roads.

What you don't see is that it's about 50 lbs lighter than stock, the massaged suspension and brakes, and the engine that's about 125 rwhp up from stock.

[Linked Image]

I keep the reflectors on as a nod to sleeper status.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by Linctex

I've heard that from lots of people over the years, who have never ridden one.

The Busa is heavy, but handles pretty good for its size. I never had any problems in the corners. My XSR900 is 125 lbs lighter and is definately more flickable and handles better on really twisty roads. The Busa would eat it alive on the straight stretches.
grin2.gif

At least for now...

Hayabusa production ends

That was a pretty good write-up. Thanks for posting. Guess my 2000 Busa is now a "collectors" bike.

I remember being on a business trip in Tucson, and stopped at a dealer to see one for the first time. I guess I didn't realize that they were still in production, after all these years.

What will Suzuki replace the bike with? Suzuki is a most interesting company bringing out most remarkable products is the most destructive way. The X6 Hustler a 250 CC bike that would scare the British 650s. The water buffalo . A huge failure made up of the best ideas . How about the rotary engine bike that failed faster than they could produce them. The Titan a 500 cc two stroke that had negative performance from the Factory is an industry where performance is king. Ron Grant got Kawasaki Mach III performance out of the titan, which would twin cyl have made it a much better bike that the Mach III which was performance king of the road until the 1000 CC 4 cyl bikes started ruling the road.

Idk if any of you guys are race fans, but if you are you'll remember back in the late 90's or early 00's the AMA had the Formula Extreme class, which was basically the anything goes class. One team was fielding a Busa based bike. I remember sitting in the stands at Laguna Seca and seeing that thing peel its way down the front straight. It was crazy when that thing was uncorked. I was glad to see them mix it up with "regular" superbikes.

I'm sad to see it go, never much cared for the looks but it's an icon.

Great sunset picture 02SE.

Originally Posted by CT8
What will Suzuki replace the bike with?

According to the article, the new Hayabusa is expected within the next 2 years.

What will the new Busa be? a Gixxer type with 1400 CC? Another luxo force of power?

Originally Posted by MoreCowbellAz
Idk if any of you guys are race fans, but if you are you'll remember back in the late 90's or early 00's the AMA had the Formula Extreme class, which was basically the anything goes class. One team was fielding a Busa based bike. I remember sitting in the stands at Laguna Seca and seeing that thing peel its way down the front straight. It was crazy when that thing was uncorked. I was glad to see them mix it up with "regular" superbikes.

I'm sad to see it go, never much cared for the looks but it's an icon.

Great sunset picture 02SE.

Thanks, picture was taken with a Canon Powershot. No processing of the image at all, just right place at the right time.

Yep, Rad Greaves in the Formula Extreme class. Not the most personable guy I've ever met. My bike was in large part inspired by his race bike, and the late Dave Owen and his LSR 'Busa, while trying to keep mine as stock-appearing as possible. I raced in some racing series myself, but not on my 'Busa, as it wasn't legal for the classes I've raced in. Of course I can always go out and have fun on a racetrack. Time and again I've heard how the 'Busa is a straight-line only bike. Invariably from people who have never ridden one. They usually have a different opinion after witnessing what a properly setup 'Busa can do.

Anyway, the Rad Greaves Formula Extreme 'Busa first with stock shape bodywork, and then with Roush designed bodywork.

busa_race2.jpg

b.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
What will the new Busa be? a Gixxer type with 1400 CC? Another luxo force of power?

There's a link in the article to a story they previously ran. I posted it here: 2019 Hayabusa

According to the article which is the subject of this thread, nothing has changed with regards to what the next generation 'Busa will be, it's just going to be later arriving than initially thought. I hope they are right.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
At least for now...

Hayabusa production ends

That was a pretty good write-up. Thanks for posting. Guess my 2000 Busa is now a "collectors" bike.

That's what I'm saying. Keep your legendary 'Busa.

Two former Moderators of a Hayabusa website, should always have a 'Busa, IMHO.
smile.gif

We can only comment on what is being reported at the time. It's good to hear that Suzuki is continuing production, at least for the USA.

What I really want to know is if the rumored 3rd gen 'Busa will be a reality. And if so, what it will be.

The same could be said for almost any activity that has more inherent risk than sitting in a padded room.

In helping teach basic, advanced, and racing riding skills over the years, I've encountered a few people that are unsafe on a 50cc scooter. For them, no amount of instruction will help. Not everyone is cut out to ride.

But everyone is usually good at something. Hopefully that something brings them enjoyment like riding does for myself and others.

Discovering you have no business on a motorcycle when on a 50cc minibike-or even a 250 Ninja-is usually less traumatic than discovering it on a 190MPH superbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back