Supertech, first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
Others would disagree. I would talk to those that have used it and seen the benefit of the extreme pressure it can stand up to and the reduced temperatures. I know it does really well in diff's where folks are towing heavy loads long distances. My uncle is using it and every other fluid he would use would smell really bad and have globules come out with it at change time. Not so with the Severe Gear we tried. Just FWIW.

Yep, and others would agree, too. I'm in off-road clubs and there are folks using Amsoil there. They love it, but I've never heard a claim that it prevents breakage the way you describe. I've never heard anybody ever curse their gear lube for an axle or diff breakage, either.

I'm not dissing Amsoil, at all. I just don't think it works in your diff like spinach works for Popeye, either. It is great stuff, and again, I'm sure it contributes to long term durability. If you send me some quarts of 75w140 and 75w90 for free, I'd be extremely happy to it in my new JL and I'd run it confidently. Otherwise, I'll run Supertech or whatever good synthetic lube is on sale at the time I change it. I'll bet I never wear my rings/pinions out on that Jeep, either.

Last edited:
I did lots of high water crossing in my 2010 Canyon … my G2 differential cover had a vertical fill plug … so it was really easy to use a clear straw to sample the oil for clarity …

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by StevieC
Others would disagree. I would talk to those that have used it and seen the benefit of the extreme pressure it can stand up to and the reduced temperatures. I know it does really well in diff's where folks are towing heavy loads long distances. My uncle is using it and every other fluid he would use would smell really bad and have globules come out with it at change time. Not so with the Severe Gear we tried. Just FWIW.

Yep, and others would agree, too. I'm in off-road clubs and there are folks using Amsoil there. They love it, but I've never heard a claim that it prevents breakage the way you describe. I've never heard anybody ever curse their gear lube for an axle or diff breakage, either.

I'm not dissing Amsoil, at all. I just don't think it works in your diff like spinach works for Popeye, either. It is great stuff, and again, I'm sure it contributes to long term durability. If you send me some quarts of 75w140 and 75w90 for free, I'd be extremely happy to it in my new JL and I'd run it confidently. Otherwise, I'll run Supertech or whatever good synthetic lube is on sale at the time I change it. I'll bet I never wear my rings/pinions out on that Jeep, either.

I didn't think you were... Just discussing it is all.
thumbsup2.gif

For "normal" use anything with a Super Tech label "meets or exceeds" . It is a quality line. Its only lacking an advertisement budget.

Late to the party but for off roading guys, don't you have to change often just due to (possible) water contamination?

Originally Posted by supton
Late to the party but for off roading guys, don't you have to change often just due to (possible) water contamination?

Absolutely! I have to change mine a few times a year depending on what type of water I go through, or how long it's under water. I replaced my front axle seals and there's still always water and stuff getting in. The rears don't leak (yet) but they always allow some water in too.

Been using Supertech 75W-90 synblend in the rear end of my pickup for over two years now. Back when I bought it, it was cheaper than the full synthetic Supertech. Now they are both the same price when I just looked at the Walmart website.

Anyway, nothing has blew up. Going to keep buying it.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I've used Supertech 75w140 in the Dana 44 in my JK since about 30k miles, and changed it out every 36k or so. It comes out looking pretty good. I tow and off-road quite a bit, so I think this fluid works as advertised. I've also run 75w 90 in the front. It is excellent gear lube, IMO. It will go into my JL's diffs at the appropriate time, too.

As for diffs breaking, I don't know how the lube would contribute to that. The off-roading community puts huge tires on light duty axles/differentials and then pump loads of power through them, then while off road, they experience shock loads as a spinning tire gains sudden traction and puts an enormous shock load on the axle shaft. I've never heard of even the cheapest dino gear lube being the cause of those kinds of breakages.

I did, however, once do a deep water crossing in my YJ, which caused water to intrude into the breather hose. It was just a table spoon, or so, but I didn't know it was in there. After a 1,000 mile highway run, it turned the Mobil 1 gear lube that was in it at the time into a milky goo that then failed to lube the ring and pinion. That wasn't the fault of the lube, though. It was the water. (Lesson learned. I avoid deep water, and when I do get into it, I change the diff fluids, whether or not I see evidence of water, or not. Supertech makes that easy because it is high quality synthetic and it is cheap.)

Best post here. I used to be finicky about gear lubes until I started hanging with my Jeep people. They could care less what the name on the bottle is which was surprising to me given how much money they(we) drop on axles/lockers/gears etc. Cheap 80W-90 gets it done for 95% of them. I'm running ST 80w90 in my front and rears and change roughly every 15-20k due to my frequency of water crossings. The spec on the back is way more important than the name on the front IMHO. Not saying Amsoil isn't a great fluid, just not much return on investment here over an off-the-shelf fluid.

Two things matter for gear oil for off road use - Water intrusion and low/no gear oil conditions. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

The shop that sets up differentials for me says 75w140 non synthetic. Thats what I use, the gallon jugs from walmart super tech. If you go through water or mud, the fluid gets dirty and needs to be changed. Not worth it using expensive synthetics. I tried M1 synthetic on a dana 44 with new axles bearings and seals. It leaked out the seals, conventional oil went in and leak stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back