Forgive me BITOG for I have sinned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me BITOG for I have sinned.

I write to you from the dealer service department. Service...? Oil change for the Taurus -- it was due. We are getting 3-4 inches of snow per hour. It has been cold, wet and snowy lately and not having a garage can be the pits.

Alas, they're using a Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil.

There was a real hard sell of BG products oil additive that'll cover everything under the sun just as long as that magical excelsior is in the crank. With a stern fact I said "No!".

Jeeze, they're pushing BG on a car with 15k on the clock? That Motorcraft and Ford engineering must be real quality for their own dealership not to have faith
wink.gif

Plenty of Motorcraft Syn Blend oil fans here. Good stuff and good value. When I had a (hock, spit!) Taurass, I used a lot of it. No oil related failures. (Everything else failed, but the oil lubricated parts soldiered on.)

Anyway, during the warranty period is the only excuse you need to see the dealer regularly.

Last edited:
Does that Taurus still have the 3.5 NA or is it EcoBoost? My mom's 2010 has 360,000kms (223k miles). No issues so far with anything drivetrain related except wheel bearings. Also had to do some tie rods and ball joints but that's expected on any car at that mileage.

Yes it has the 3.5 V6 NA, dual overhead cam and dual cam phasers on each side. Ti-VCT they call it.

Folks, this truly is the first time in my life I have ever visited anyone (service department, shop, etc.) for an oil change, wow. But man this weekend and next couple of weeks are busy so no change of DIY in the near future.

Oh well, millions of people go to these places all the time... am I right?! Haha.

Originally Posted by redhat

I write to you from the dealer service department. Service...? Oil change for the Taurus -- it was due. We are getting 3-4 inches of snow per hour. It has been cold, wet and snowy lately and not having a garage can be the pits.

There was a real hard sell of BG products oil additive that'll cover everything under the sun just as long as that magical excelsior is in the crank. With a stern fact I said "No!".

What is the oil change interval? You couldn't wait until next month to do the oil change? No buddies in your area with garages to use for this?

Originally Posted by PimTac
That is what insulated coveralls are for.

At 4 inches an hour you might not find your way out!

Originally Posted by redhat

Stay dry and warm in Buffalo!

It'll be ok, I forgive you. Growing up I used to hear the saying, "circumstances alter cases". I think that applies here. Nothing wrong MC Syn Blend and the FL500S, they'll work fine. I would be curious to know how much the 'dealer' charged you. But, I'd also understand if you choose to keep that under your hat.

Everytime I see someone talking about the Taurus I cry a little inside. I had a 2010 SEL 3.5. Nothing spectacular. No bells and whistles really. But dang do I regret getting rid of that car. I bought it at 99,000 miles and traded it in at 140,000. I travel from FL to OH fairly often and the mileage started to worry me just slightly and the mpg wasn't that great so I let it go. I've missed that car every day since!

Those seats, the seating position, the cockpit style feel. I've never been able to find it anywhere else.

Last edited:
Did you have it changed on time? With a recommend grade that meets specification?

That ain't no sin...

Later on (when you do your own) you'll get to see how tight the dealer put on the drain plug and filter. Once took the Focus in for an oil change @ Merchant's and the drain plug was put on so tight I could not get it off. Took the car back to them and they removed. I was perturbed to say the least! Never again as long as I'm able.

Originally Posted by sparky123
Later on (when you do your own) you'll get to see how tight the dealer put on the drain plug and filter. Once took the Focus in for an oil change @ Merchant's and the drain plug was put on so tight I could not get it off. Took the car back to them and they removed. I was perturbed to say the least! Never again as long as I'm able.

Not trying to dealer bash but I dad that happen once at the Honda dealer. Tight drain plug, and the head was boogered up so I couldn't get my wrench on it. Luckily, the dealer owned up to it, replaced the plug and gave me an oil change free of charge. Never had a problem after that.

And, I don't blame you, OP. Western NY, this time of year, I'd have no interest being on my back outside laying in salt & slush.

I am back home. Man roads are a mess. People can't drkve. The snow amount isn't bad, very manageable but people don't know what to do... Or better yet don't equip their vehicles properly.

The oil change was uneventful. I paid $42. $39.99 plus taxes. Really not a bad price IMO. The Taurus takes 6 quarts and a FL500s. Walmart would get me $20-21 including taxes for 5qts of MCSB 5W-20, figure another $3-4 for the 6th quart; a 500s is probably $4-5. So total parts cost is $29. $10 for labor makes sense. And they checked the air pressure in the tires and topped off the squirts.

To answer some questions. Yes I was due. I'll probably put 3-4 thousand miles on in the next month with visiting family and a work trip -- in addition to the regular daily driving. So that added mileage would not be a comfortable feeling with me when it comes to an OCI duration. Friends shops are already too full with their own projects and items.

What REASONS was he giving you on why you need it?

What's in that BG oil additive, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back