swapping on snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have asked my daughter to bring the Forester to a tire place and have the 4 winter rims/snow swapped for the summer ones. Trying to get her to take on some of the responsibility of maint of the car as she drives it mostly even though its my car. She is 30.

I have asked when my wife went last winter to have the tire place grease the 4 wheel centering rings that are aluminum and go on easy in the fall and are impossible to get off in the spring. I assume they ignored my request. As the centering rings were difficult to remove in the spring and are getting beat up prying them off.

So I cleaned up the centering rings, filed off some of the damage from prying. I think I will grease the rings myself and put them in a ziploc.

So marine grease I use on boat trailer or Sil-glide for brakes?

I could swap the tires myself, but daughter needs to take some responsibility for the car she drives.

Originally Posted by Donald
Antiseize maybe?

I could swap the tires myself, but daughter needs to take some responsibility for the car she drives.
Sounds like these are entire winter wheels (rims+tires), not just tires, correct?

The marine grease would be just fine. Either or would work, as would anti-seize, however, I'd truthfully be using whatever was in my arsenal that cost me the least.

At this point your intended use is to just prevent oxidation under what should be minimal heat and hopefully not much (if any) environmental contamination from salt/water spray.

Antiseize! Like the old lady on the Frank's Red Hot commercial says-" I put that [CENSORED!] on everything!". Except lug nuts, of course.

Last edited:
I would use anti-seize - that, or you can do what I do, living in a high-salt (ocean) area, and hit the hubs/rings with a shot of pure zinc primer. No chance of contamination by lubricant on the brakes. I wire brush the hubs and then use a light, thin coat.

Last edited:
A thin layer of anti-sieze is all I ever use. Don't like the idea of grease in this application - just personal preference.

From personal experience, clean and apply a thin layer of grease annually.

No need to remove from rims.

Last edited:
I agree with putting some responsibility back on the daughter for car maintenance, the grease you chose will be fine I am sure.

On a side note, as much as I love my kids, in the budding teenage years (16-19) they are fine to drive my wheels in a controlled environment to learn all the aspects of car ownership and gain a good insurance rating under my umbrella. Once 20 rolls around though, the "training wheels" come off and everything they learned the 4 years previous would be applied towards their own total vehicle ownership. Accumulating good insurance ratings and financial credit for purchases on their own can only help them moving forward. By the time I was 30, I was 3 years away from owning my own home outright with a couple of cars in the driveway with a wife and a handful of kids, but I digress as that is just my experience.

I question the need of centering rings. Don't the lug nuts center the wheel? I've had both plastic and aluminum rings in the past and I just remove them. Never had an issue over a couple of decades now.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Antiseize maybe?

Sounds like these are entire winter wheels (rims+tires), not just tires, correct?

right

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I agree with putting some responsibility back on the daughter for car maintenance, the grease you chose will be fine I am sure.

On a side note, as much as I love my kids, in the budding teenage years (16-19) they are fine to drive my wheels in a controlled environment to learn all the aspects of car ownership and gain a good insurance rating under my umbrella. Once 20 rolls around though, the "training wheels" come off and everything they learned the 4 years previous would be applied towards their own total vehicle ownership. Accumulating good insurance ratings and financial credit for purchases on their own can only help them moving forward. By the time I was 30, I was 3 years away from owning my own home outright with a couple of cars in the driveway with a wife and a handful of kids, but I digress as that is just my experience.

I agree that it would be great if she were more self sufficient. But that is easier said than done. We have asked for her plan and she just keeps moving along without any real plan. On the positive side she is a good cook and cooks 4 dinners a week for us.

We are letting things take care of themselves. We will be moving to Delaware next summer and she will not want to go as its too far from NYC and her friends. Maybe she will rent a room from the new owners of my house.

thumbsup2.gif

All the grease does is prevent the the oxides from forming. Bacon grease or Crisco would suffice.I use whatevr is in the grease gun. Never seize is overkill.

Originally Posted by andyd
All the grease does is prevent the the oxides from forming. Bacon grease or Crisco would suffice.I use whatevr is in the grease gun. Never seize is overkill.
My only issue with grease is if (when) the brakes get hot, it melts & gets slung all over the place, inside of the wheel, possibly brakes, etc. Antiseize doesn't generally do that, as long as it's only a small amount.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen

I agree that it would be great if she were more self sufficient. But that is easier said than done. We have asked for her plan and she just keeps moving along without any real plan. On the positive side she is a good cook and cooks 4 dinners a week for us.

We are letting things take care of themselves. We will be moving to Delaware next summer and she will not want to go as its too far from NYC and her friends. Maybe she will rent a room from the new owners of my house.

Don't be surprised when she wants to move to Delaware too.

Good luck.

I have asked my daughter to bring the Forester to a tire place and have the 4 winter rims/snow swapped for the summer ones.

Why on Earth does a Forester have SUMMER tires? Who made THAT decision?

Originally Posted by HangFire
I have asked my daughter to bring the Forester to a tire place and have the 4 winter rims/snow swapped for the summer ones.

Probably referring to the OEM all-seasons that might as well be 3 seasons.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by HangFire

Probably referring to the OEM all-seasons that might as well be 3 seasons.

Non winter tires are all season, used mainly in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back