ATF+4 go with Mopar, Castrol, or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I picked up an '05 Dodge Neon a few months back, and it's looking like I should be changing the ATF fluid especially with a cold Colorado Winter ahead. I've never owned an automatic transmission in a vehicle so I need help. I'm not too familiar with the ATF+4 Spec fluid. My question is this, Do I go with OEM Mopar fluid from the local Dodge Dealership, or do I go pick up an ATF+4 compatible fluid from Castrol or Mobil 1? All help is much appreciated. Give me the good vs bad on OEM vs other.

If it was my vehicle I would pick any ATF+4... basically a fluid that's marketed primarily as an ATF+4 vs a universal fluid that is "compatible with ATF+4 applications" it doesn't really matter what brand you get... O'Reilly, Valvoline, whatever ATF+4 you can get the cheapest.

The best ATF to use where ATF+4 is called for is Redline C+ even though it is not licensed and doesn't appear on the approved list from CQA. Chrysler's ATF+4 licensing program is very strict and borderline childish, requiring only a specific group III base oil and a specific Lubrizol add pack, very heavy micromanagement.

Redline C+ uses the same add pack as licensed ATF+4 but with a group V ester base stock, which is why Chrysler won't license it.

If you're still under warranty, use the cheapest licensed ATF+4 on sale from the list someone linked above.

And since your Neon's transmission doesn't have a drain plug, you will want an aftermarket pan that has one, which will make future ATF changes much easier
smile.gif

I run Schaeffers Dexron VI/Mercon LV in my 98 neon. Shifts are smooth and lockup is perfect. Its not licensed by chrysler but on their data sheet it does show suitable use for ATF+4. Im sure any ATF+4 will eork just fine for you though.
thumbsup2.gif

I used Super Tech ATF+4 on the Jeep's last Transmission fluid exchange. Like was stated before, ATF+4 is a licensed product, so use whatever licensed ATF+4 that is listed.

I use Castrol ATF+4. AAP often runs it for good prices on sale making the choice very easy. In order for it to be labeled as AFT+4 and licensed as such, it is GTG in any Chrysler product calling for it.

anything that is genuine atf+4 is fine.. even supertech or amalie etc.

on that car I'd go hit up walmart for some supertech brand because its cost effective..
(vs going redline etc)

I have used various brands of transmission fluid for Mercon V. Castrol, Valvoline, Motorcraft, and Supertech. My vehicle was fine with all of them. I doubt you will detect any differences with AFT+4 with whichever brand you choose.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The best ATF to use where ATF+4 is called for is Redline C+ even though it is not licensed and doesn't appear on the approved list from CQA. Chrysler's ATF+4 licensing program is very strict and borderline childish, requiring only a specific group III base oil and a specific Lubrizol add pack, very heavy micromanagement.

Redline C+ uses the same add pack as licensed ATF+4 but with a group V ester base stock, which is why Chrysler won't license it.

If you're still under warranty, use the cheapest licensed ATF+4 on sale from the list someone linked above.

And since your Neon's transmission doesn't have a drain plug, you will want an aftermarket pan that has one, which will make future ATF changes much easier
smile.gif

How much is that basestock group V? If it's like Redline Motor oil its 10% or less.

Originally Posted by MRtv
I have used various brands of transmission fluid for Mercon V. Castrol, Valvoline, Motorcraft, and Supertech. My vehicle was fine with all of them. I doubt you will detect any differences with AFT+4 with whichever brand you choose.

ATF+4 if it's licensed there are something like 2 group III basestocks and one additive package a blender can use so their all the same.

Originally Posted by dave1251

How much is that basestock group V? If it's like Redline Motor oil its 10% or less.

I don't know, but the properties seem much better than the licensed group III ATF+4

I don't know, but the properties seem much better than the licensed group III ATF+4

Not really the viscosity, viscosity index, and Brookfield viscosity are nearly the same. The one thing I can't compare is flash point because Redline does not list it. From what I see is the C+ has about 1% ester.

Not really the viscosity, viscosity index, and Brookfield viscosity are nearly the same. The one thing I can't compare is flash point because Redline does not list it. From what I see is the C+ has about 1% ester.

Redline C+ has a Brookfield of 3800 cP
Castrol ATF+4 Brookfield is 8380 cP (Here is a PDS I found), other licensed ATF+4 shopuld be around the same

I was able to find the C+ flash point in their MSDS, 148C/298F, kind of low and disappointing. Licensed ATF+4 flash point is higher by 50C/90F (per the Castrol PDS)

I hope P66 didn't cheapen it
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Never had a problem with Supertech ATF+4 in my Mopars.

You should not. It is the same as all other ATF+4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back