New or used 2018 Chrysler Pacifica?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I know you lose a lot of value when you buy a new vehicle, I always said I was not going to buy another new vehicle, just buy a 2-3 year old low mileage used one.

Well, I am going to be buying another vehicle for my wife (daughter getting her license soon, will get wife's Scion).

My wife has told me in no uncertain terms she wants a Chrysler Pacifica.
I decided if I am getting a minivan, I am getting one equipped how I want (heated/vented seats, birdseye camera, adaptive cruise etc). This means a Pacifica Limited.

So the there are still a lot of 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited vans around in dealer inventory. MSRP is ~$48,000 or so for one optioned out how I want.
I have been e-mailing a few dealers and have gotten quotes for about $10,000 below that.
Used 2018 models (but not equipped as well as new) with 10,000-30,000 miles are going for ~$32,000-36,000.
2017's are only ~$2000 cheaper than 2018, and I know have had issues with the new 9 speed that had been worked out by 2018, so I am not looking at 2017 models.

So I am looking at ~$38,000 for brand new with the interior and exterior color and equipped how I like, or $32-36000 for used and not as well equipped as I want, and interior and exterior colors not necessarly what I want (I want a all dark interior, and either red or black exterior).
I do plan on keeping this thing for 15+ years, and it would only be driven 6000 or so miles per year.

So am I crazy to want to buy new even though I know I should not?

On a side note, I shortly debated getting the Hybrid Pacifica Limited, cost is about $7,000 more than the regular model, but with the $7,500 rebate, it is about a wash, but my financing would be higher because of the initial up front cost (although I guess I could just put another $7000 down on top of what I am already putting down, and get the money back at tax time?).
Most of my wife's driving is 30 miles or less, so the plug in hybrid would let her use electric power most of the time.

I'd buy new especially with the 9-speed which has some problems early on. Who knows what heck someone might have put that transmission through before.

Last edited:
If you're keeping it for 15 years, pay the price for a new one... and get it exactly the way you want it.

Your example is one of the few, where buying new makes perfect sense.

No point in buying this new. Too popular.

No point in buying this used. Too popular.

The answer is a 2016 Nissan Quest. Less than half the price, plenty of luxury, and better longevity.

I'd buy new as well. I was in the same boat in late 2015 when I was minivan shopping. My original plan was to buy 2-3 years old, as I knew I would need a minivan for at least 10 years. But most 2-3 year old minivans are simply ex-rentals or lease returns, with the vast majority being ex-rentals. Minivans in general are treated poorly by people, but a minivan rental would probably be one of the most poorly treated rentals. If the plan is to keep the vehicle for about 15 years, buying new makes perfect sense.

Originally Posted by macarose
The answer is a 2016 Nissan Quest. Less than half the price, plenty of luxury, and better longevity.

Did you miss this part of the OP?

Originally Posted by blupupher
My wife has told me in no uncertain terms she wants a Chrysler Pacifica.

Better longevity in a vehicle weighing about 4400lb and equipped with a CVT.
crackmeup2.gif

Go for a new hybrid. Not only do you get the $7,500 tax credit, you also get a $2,500 rebate from the state of Texas. It makes getting the hybrid version likely cheaper than a similarly optioned non hybrid. The tax credit will be claimed on your 2018 tax return so if you buy now, you will reduce your balance due to the IRS in April next year (or get a refund check). On the Texas alternative fuel rebate, the state will cut you a check for $2,500 and it takes a few months to come in the mail. PM me if you want more info on filling out the rebate forms for the state. I've done it once before for my Volt and I'm about to do it again for my Outlander PHEV.

Last edited:
No point in buying this new. Too popular.

No point in buying this used. Too popular.

And have a vehicle that is ugly as dog poop. Can't stand the Quest, and as already pointed out, I have been told what vehicle to get by the wife.

Originally Posted by czbrian
Go for a new hybrid. Not only do you get the $7,500 tax credit, you also get a $2,500 rebate from the state of Texas. It makes getting the hybrid version likely cheaper than a similarly optioned non hybrid. The tax credit will be claimed on your 2018 tax return so if you buy now, you will reduce your balance due to the IRS in April next year (or get a refund check). On the Texas alternative fuel rebate, the state will cut you a check for $2,500 and it takes a few months to come in the mail. PM me if you want more info on filling out the rebate forms for the state. I've done it once before for my Volt and I'm about to do it again for my Outlander PHEV.

I did not know about Texas having a rebate?

This changes me looking at the Hybrid. I guess I need to start over getting some quotes on that model too.
The only thing I don't like about the hybrid is loosing the stow and go feature of the front seats.

So I will be buying new regardless of which vehicle I get, I guess I was thinking correctly that the price difference between new and used was not as huge a factor in this case, as well as the time I plan on keeping it.

You can get the hybrid around the same price according to some places I looked before any state-fed credits
But you're keeping it 15 years maybe- I'm sure the batteries will be toast by then even though I'm a hybrid fan.
The Pacifica does look nice however

Go for the hybrid... where will gas prices go over the next 15 years?

The only downside is middle row seats that will have to be manually removed... how often do you need that capability?

With a hybrid the middle stow and go will be gone, not a huge deal for some, but for me it would be since I'm used to it now. The hybrid Chrysler uses is the same setup as with Toyota and Ford, so the 9 speed transmission is replaced by the planetary CVT, controlled by the electric motors, not the steel belt and cones setup. That CVT setup is extremely simple and durable.

From all I read about it, it is a very good setup and I'm surprised that Toyota doesn't offer it in their minivan, but Chrysler of all manufacturers does. I bet Sienna would have more people go for a hybrid as an option than AWD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher

I did not know about Texas having a rebate?

This changes me looking at the Hybrid. I guess I need to start over getting some quotes on that model too.
The only thing I don't like about the hybrid is loosing the stow and go feature of the front seats.

It's kind of surprising. It includes natural gas and plug in vehicles and this is the 2nd time around they have funded the program. All the info is here:

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/terp/ld.html

There is a form you will need the finance manager at the dealership to sign while you are there but is otherwise pretty simple.

As a result of not having stow and go seats, the seats are more comfortable which I prefer. My wife and I test drove one at the Autonation dealership in Katy about a month and ago and she really like it. Although, she is leaning toward the Honda Odyssey at this point. I'm trying to steer her back to the Pacifica Hybrid though.

Thanks czbrian, it really is making me look at it hard.
85% of my wife's driving is less than 20 miles at a time, with an occasional 50 mile trip to her mom's (where she could charge with a 110v outlet if needed).
I would have to get the 240v charger for the house though, but I think I could install that myself.

I am debating running up to that AutoNation to test drive one right now. I have driven the regular Pacifica, but not the hybrid.

I also need to get one to my house to see how it fits in the garage. The van is 204 inches, my garage is 214 inches. Out old Grand Caravan was 201 inches and fit, so this should not be too different. We just had enough room to walk in front of it, but may not with the Pacifica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back