Customer with odd vehicle title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I had a person come in yesterday wanting a vin verification on an 06 Acura TL. A car being that old needs an emissions test. Anyhow the lady tells us in broken English that the vin number on the vehicle didn't match so the dmv wouldn't give her plates. The title had big letters stamped "ready for crusher" on it. Ive seen salvage titles but never this on it. She bought it from "Some guy" a year ago. I'm thinking possibly a stolen vehicle with a swapped vin. The car didn't look totalled or wrecked. Anyone else seen this?

Stolen or maybe flood damage. Doesn't Honda/Acura put VINs on the engine? Maybe double check that as well as the dash and door.

Last edited:
Sounds like an insurance payoff that was totaled and being sold for scrap. That is not a normal title with red stamp across is. Probably not even legal/

Originally Posted by Ethan1
A four-door car has 14 VINs. Start lookin'...

Yeah this. Do your due diligence. Perhaps even call your local authorities, take a few pictures, cover your rear.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Hi all,

I had a person come in yesterday wanting a vin verification on an 06 Acura TL. A car being that old needs an emissions test. ?
California smogs cars back to the 1976 model year.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Hi all,

I had a person come in yesterday wanting a vin verification on an 06 Acura TL. A car being that old needs an emissions test. Anyhow the lady tells us in broken English that the vin number on the vehicle didn't match so the dmv wouldn't give her plates. The title had big letters stamped "ready for crusher" on it. Ive seen salvage titles but never this on it. She bought it from "Some guy" a year ago. I'm thinking possibly a stolen vehicle with a swapped vin. The car didn't look totalled or wrecked. Anyone else seen this?

What state? I have done probably 1000 salvage titles in California, never ever ever ever heard of this! Honda's and Acura's were my specialty. Your not in California, cause the CHP does vin verifications or the DMV does some that are not on the Hot often stolen list. A 12 year old Acura might not be on the Hot list anymore in Cali...

Originally Posted by Ethan1
A four-door car has 14 VINs. Start lookin'...

17 letters and digits.

#1 stamped in cowl/fire wall=steel, #2 Dash, #3 Driver door jamb "sticker", #4 Motor riveted tag, #5 Transmission riveted tag. All body parts, paper adhesive vin #, some are hiding but they are there!

If the vehicle has any different vin # body parts on it, owner is supposed to have a receipt with the vin # listed on the sales receipt.

There is a possibility this person has a vehicle that an insurance company deemed as a non reparable title. Which means it will never get plates! Maybe she has this and does not understand what non repairable means.

It does not mean that the car could not be repaired, for some reason the insurance company does not want this vehicle to ever be back on the rode again, and they have the ability, and the right to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back