"New" Techron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If memory serves me right, Techron was one of the first fuel additives to advertise that it contained PEA.
I have noticed in the last several months that there is no mention of PEA on Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner bottles, while other fuel additives like some versions (the expensive ones) of Gumout and STP are advertising it prominently.
Does anybody know if Chevron actually has a new formula for this product and what the new active ingredient(s) might be?

After years of having "PEA = Good!" drilled into my head, I'm not buying any more of this Techron unless I find that it still contains PEA or somebody can convince me that whatever secret sauce it has now is even better.

I still have confidence it has pea in it, The question is how much.
Techron is there trademark? for PEA.

I think that as long as you avoid the costco watered down stuff.. and get " Complete Fuel System Cleaner" you are still getting a good amount of PEA.
Of course its pretty easy to use one of the 20 alternatives that are loaded with PEA if you wish.

Originally Posted by Rand

I think that as long as you avoid the costco watered down stuff..

Do you mean to say that Techron sold is Costco has a different concentration of PEA than the one sold at, say Amazon or AutoZone?

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn

Do you mean to say that Techron sold is Costco has a different concentration of PEA than the one sold at, say Amazon or AutoZone?

yes it is not "complete fuel system cleaner"
it is just "fuel injector cleaner" or somesuch.
Its basically similar to buying the $3 bottle of gumout, not the good $10 bottle that is loaded with pea.

Redline S1 is great stuff. Plus it has a UCL. No worries with Chevron. That is there secret sauce.

They are two different products. Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner and Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner. Costco sells the latter.

Most people go with the Fuel System Cleaner since it has a higher concentration of PEA.

From Chevron today:

Thanks for your inquiry. Techron still contains PEA. The highest concentrated product is Techron Concentrate Plus Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Techron D does not contain PEA.

Originally Posted by Donald
From Chevron today:
Thanks for your inquiry. Techron still contains PEA. The highest concentrated product is Techron Concentrate Plus Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Techron D does not contain PEA.

Good info, thanks.
I wonder why it isn't mentioned on the bottle or attached card anymore?
Maybe because so many other products are advertising it...but, in my case, the absence made me think that ingredient was probably gone now.

I don't run cleaners like this in my car too often anymore as I get nearly 100% top tier fuel now, but I will dump a bottle in the wife's car every so often as I know she buys the cheapest fuel possible and I wonder if her putt putt driving style is maybe not the best thing for deposits. Used to put them in my daughter's car, but I know she uses Mobil top tier gas now because I buy her XOM gift cards a lot and she lives close to one of their stations so it's less of a concern for me now.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Techron is one of the products Chevron is consistently tweaking. I would use it and not worry.

Why try to "fix" it,

if it isn't "Broken"?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Techron is one of the products Chevron is consistently tweaking. I would use it and not worry.

Why try to "fix" it,

if it isn't "Broken"?

https://www.techron.com

There is always improvements to be made. For a while Valvoline has a PEA fuel system cleaner which some viewed as slightly better than techron due to techron cause a bit higher lead readings in UOA's. Techron is the standard for gasoline additives Chevron obviously wants to keep Techron on top.

There is always improvements to be made. For a while Valvoline has a PEA fuel system cleaner which some viewed as slightly better than techron due to techron cause a bit higher lead readings in UOA's. Techron is the standard for gasoline additives Chevron obviously wants to keep Techron on top.

Wow, the video on that page made me kind of nauseous...

I did some SDS surfing and Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner (Jan 2016) comes right out and says 10-30% Polyether Amine.
The SDS for Techron Concentrate Plus (March 2018) has a couple of trade secret ingredients at 0.1-% and 1-5% concentrations and some other things that are not PEA. It's quite possible that it is not a requirement to list PEA in an SDS and Chevron may chosen to leave it out. The trade secret substances might be some kind of PEA-type detergents, who knows?
I know the SDS is not a recipe book, etc, yada yada, but the Gumout Regane is very close to Techron on the WM shelves and they are basically the same price...I'm going to go with Regane for now.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I did some SDS surfing and Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner (Jan 2016) comes right out and says 10-30% Polyether Amine.
The SDS for Techron Concentrate Plus (March 2018) has a couple of trade secret ingredients at 0.1-1% and 1-5% concentrations and some other things that are not PEA. It's quite possible that it is not a requirement to list PEA in an SDS and Chevron may chosen to leave it out. The trade secret substances might be some kind of PEA-type detergents, who knows?
I know the SDS is not a recipe book, etc, yada yada, but the Gumout Regane is very close to Techron on the WM shelves and they are basically the same price...I'm going to go with Regane for now.

Fixed my typo, too late to edit...

Why try to "fix" it,

if it isn't "Broken"?

Considering the staggering profits by most oil companies (courtesy of the motoring public), I'm glad they are investing in more R&D. After all, if they develop a new molecule, they can patent it and possibly make billions more. So they aren't trying to "fix" this just for giggles. It's a massive, massive industry. If they don't come out with the latest whiz-bang product, someone else will.

Here is a thought. The local ARCO station has regular at $3.09 and the Chevron across the street has regular for $3.55. For me, that's nearly $8 saved every fill-up.
I have serious doubts that the Chevron fuel will return enough improved economy to justify the 46-cent per gallon premium.
And here is the kicker: both ARCO and Chevron are top-tier fuels.

What years were these staggering profits … you should really look at the ROCE of many other industries …
And when they do make good money it's from crude … gasoline is like having a CD …
Notice how quick Buffet jumped in and back out …

Originally Posted by DGXR

Why try to "fix" it,

if it isn't "Broken"?

Considering the staggering profits by most oil companies (courtesy of the motoring public), I'm glad they are investing in more R&D. After all, if they develop a new molecule, they can patent it and possibly make billions more. So they aren't trying to "fix" this just for giggles. It's a massive, massive industry. If they don't come out with the latest whiz-bang product, someone else will.

Here is a thought. The local ARCO station has regular at $3.09 and the Chevron across the street has regular for $3.55. For me, that's nearly $8 saved every fill-up.
I have serious doubts that the Chevron fuel will return enough improved economy to justify the 46-cent per gallon premium.

When I worked at the local Chevron Refinery, they had tanker trucks from Shell, Texaco and Aloha Petroleum at the loading racks. Aloha gas was the cheapest in the state at that time about a $0.75 difference between Chevron gas and Aloha Gas. The price difference may be due to the name brand of Chevron vs. unknown Aloha and the additives they used. When I started back in 1993 it was Techcroline then soon after Techron.

Originally Posted by anndel
Originally Posted by DGXR

Why try to "fix" it,

if it isn't "Broken"?

When I worked at the local Chevron Refinery, they had tanker trucks from Shell, Texaco and Aloha Petroleum at the loading racks. Aloha gas was the cheapest in the state at that time about a $0.75 difference between Chevron gas and Aloha Gas. The price difference may be due to the name brand of Chevron vs. unknown Aloha and the additives they used. When I started back in 1993 it was Techcroline then soon after Techron.

I believe Chevron would just treat their depot like any other where they consider it a fungible commodity. I thought that a lot of the terminals are owned/operated by the pipeline operators.

As much as people like to believe the marketing, most fuel is a fungible commodity that's nearly always mixed with fuel from different refineries and different refining companies. I guess there are some speciality fuels that are piped as segregated shipments, but that costs more than using the pipeline system like a bank where the manufacturer deposits it at one end, and the buyer withdraws it at a convenient "branch". In a market where there might be pennies of profit per gallon, are they really going to want to pay 10 cents a gallon for a segregated shipment where they might need to pay more for segregated tanks, or are they OK with paying 3 cents a gallon and withdrawing from tanks using commodity fuel that they know will meet all requirements?

I'm pretty sure that Chevron sells plenty of fuel to buyers on the spot market, and even allows the use of its fuel terminals for "withdrawals". And that would mean providing branded and generic additives at the rack.

Still - my understanding is that the vast majority of refiners/fuel marketers don't even develop their own additives. Chevron certainly does. I think Sunoco does too. The EPA list is filled with a lot of names including Lubrizol, BASF, and Afton. I'm pretty pretty sure that Chevron sells both a generic additive they developed, as well as additives that are customized for their competitors.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/fuels1/ffars/web-detrg.htm

I remember seeing an additive from the ExxonMobil/Shell joint venture Infineum. As much as they've both got ads hinting that they're developing these additives in their own labs, the EPA certification list suggests that they're just buying it from someone else now.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Wow, the video on that page made me kind of nauseous...

The SDS for Techron Concentrate Plus (March 2018) has a couple of trade secret ingredients at 0.1-% and 1-5% concentrations and some other things that are not PEA. It's quite possible that it is not a requirement to list PEA in an SDS and Chevron may chosen to leave it out. The trade secret substances might be some kind of PEA-type detergents, who knows?

I recall reading an article Chevron is continuously updating and tweaking Techron although it still has PEA the other additives may change.

yes it is not "complete fuel system cleaner"
it is just "fuel injector cleaner" or somesuch.
Its basically similar to buying the $3 bottle of gumout, not the good $10 bottle that is loaded with pea.

What's the diff CFSC and say two bottles of watered down per tank, half a tank or whatever equals the same amount PEA?

I use Gumout and STP Ultra now for the same reasons Vitus_Probi started this thread. I like to see PEA on the bottle. Along with TopTier gas, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back